Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
12 replies   13967 views

Description

So I've been looking for a torch for my SP barbarian for some time. I have found torches for paladin, sorceress, druid, necro and assassin, but no barb torch. Tonight I'd managed to farm another set of keys, so I grabbed my smiter to go do ubers. I'm not the most experienced uber runner (I usually just trade for torches online) and my paladin is a bit undergeared perhaps, but I've been able to kill the ubers without any major issues before.

Okay, so the mini ubers went down fine, no problems. But once I entered
Uber Tristram
things quickly went sideways in the worst way possible. I always try to pull Meph back from the other two and kill him first near the top left house. But as I attempt do this he one-shots me. I'm thinking, "it should be fine, my corpse is pretty far away from the center and only Meph is near it".

But it's not fine. As I enter the portal, Meph has for some reason moved inside the house right next to it and kills me instantly (during the friggin load screen!).

This keeps happening every single time I try to enter the portal, even if I bring my merc as a meat shield. I'm dead before I even gain control as Meph is effectively camping the portal. The paladin corpses just keep piling up on the Ground. As I'm on SP, there is no way to get help. It's just me and my own devices.

Before taking the L and saying goodbye to the torch, I decide to put everything I have into one last attempt. I go though my stashes, gathering all the resistance gear I have. I find a pair of
Tearhaunch
I was using long ago and haven't gotten rid of for some reason. I put on a
Saracen's Chance
, a
Wisp Projector
and an old
Akaran Targe
Spirit. I
Revive
my merc, cast
Holy Shield
, put on
Salvation
aura and click the portal one last time. It's now or never.

As the loading screen appears I start mashing the
Charge
hotkey and clicking frenetically on the top end of the screen. When the game is done loading, the first thing I see is my health plummeting while my paladin starts to
Charge
away from the portal, mages bombarding him with all kinds of damage, ghosts on his tail.

I get away with about 50 life left, run to a corner of the map, heal up, throw the temporary gear on the Ground and finally retrieve my real stuff.

And from then on everything went fine. Meph went down, and Diablo and
Baal
didn't put up much of a fight. Smooth sailing.

The torch?

It was a 19/18 barbarian torch. I couldn't make this stuff up.

Can be used to make Runewords:

So I've been looking for a torch for my SP barbarian for some time. I have found torches for paladin, sorceress, druid, necro and assassin, but no barb torch. Tonight I'd managed to farm another set of keys, so I grabbed my smiter to go do ubers. I'm not the most experienced uber runner (I usually just trade for torches online) and my paladin is a bit undergeared perhaps, but I've been able to kill the ubers without any major issues before.

Okay, so the mini ubers went down fine, no problems. But once I entered
Uber Tristram
things quickly went sideways in the worst way possible. I always try to pull Meph back from the other two and kill him first near the top left house. But as I attempt do this he one-shots me. I'm thinking, "it should be fine, my corpse is pretty far away from the center and only Meph is near it".

But it's not fine. As I enter the portal, Meph has for some reason moved inside the house right next to it and kills me instantly (during the friggin load screen!).

This keeps happening every single time I try to enter the portal, even if I bring my merc as a meat shield. I'm dead before I even gain control as Meph is effectively camping the portal. The paladin corpses just keep piling up on the Ground. As I'm on SP, there is no way to get help. It's just me and my own devices.

Before taking the L and saying goodbye to the torch, I decide to put everything I have into one last attempt. I go though my stashes, gathering all the resistance gear I have. I find a pair of
Tearhaunch
I was using long ago and haven't gotten rid of for some reason. I put on a
Saracen's Chance
, a
Wisp Projector
and an old
Akaran Targe
Spirit. I
Revive
my merc, cast
Holy Shield
, put on
Salvation
aura and click the portal one last time. It's now or never.

As the loading screen appears I start mashing the
Charge
hotkey and clicking frenetically on the top end of the screen. When the game is done loading, the first thing I see is my health plummeting while my paladin starts to
Charge
away from the portal, mages bombarding him with all kinds of damage, ghosts on his tail.

I get away with about 50 life left, run to a corner of the map, heal up, throw the temporary gear on the Ground and finally retrieve my real stuff.

And from then on everything went fine. Meph went down, and Diablo and
Baal
didn't put up much of a fight. Smooth sailing.

The torch?

It was a 19/18 barbarian torch. I couldn't make this stuff up.

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Wow, that's when this game is worth playing. I don't imagine how you felt at the end ! Kind of relief + Pride, right ?

Congrats !

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
Wow, that's when this game is worth playing. I don't imagine how you felt at the end ! Kind of relief + Pride, right ?

Congrats !
Thanks! It was a good feeling for sure, probably one of my best d2 moments ever.

Bisu 369

PC
What a story! Good job, man!

louner 197

Europe PC
That was risky, because in the case your temporary gear is worth more gold than your primary gear and you exit the game, you would end up with the corpse that had your temp gear on it (it's picked by gold value of equipment).

I got cold sweats just reading that.

Spearzon and Rogue enjoyer.
Good Job!
Uber Mephisto
Conviction
aura is very strong. When i go in
Uber Tristram
i preffer to use
Lightsabre
/
Phase Blade
/. It gives 25% Lightning Absorb. In combination with
Wisp Projector
i can kill
Mephisto
very easly. When
Mephisto
was down i switch to Grief and then kill DIablo and
Baal
First of all congrats! This is how I exactly learned to prepare for
Uber Tristram
. Lucky I was playing online and got some help.

* I trade both ladder and non-ladder, please check before asking.
* All my trades are for runes, keys (especially KoT and KoH) and essences!
OP
louner wrote: 1 year ago
That was risky, because in the case your temporary gear is worth more gold than your primary gear and you exit the game, you would end up with the corpse that had your temp gear on it (it's picked by gold value of equipment).
Wow, really? Never knew it worked that way! I guess I haven't found myself in a similar situation before. I actually thought I would get all of it back if I quit. Anyway, the only things I had on as temp gear was
Boots
shield amu and rings, so it shouldn't have been worth more than my real setup, but still.
Conspirator wrote: 1 year ago
Good Job!
Uber Mephisto
Conviction
Uber Tristram
i preffer to use
Lightsabre
/
Phase Blade
Wisp Projector
i can kill
Mephisto
very easly. When
Mephisto
Baal
Yeah, I will definitely use
Wisp Projector
by default from now on. I thought it would be enough to prebuff with
Fade
from Treachery as it has worked for me before, but apparently it's not always enough. I have a
Lightsabre
somewhere also, thanks for the tip!

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Engelmark wrote: 1 year ago
louner wrote: 1 year ago
Wow, really? Never knew it worked that way! I guess I haven't found myself in a similar situation before. I actually thought I would get all of it back if I quit. Anyway, the only things I had on as temp gear was
Boots
shield amu and rings, so it shouldn't have been worth more than my real setup, but still.
Conspirator wrote: 1 year ago
Good Job!
Uber Mephisto
Conviction
Uber Tristram
i preffer to use
Lightsabre
/
Phase Blade
Wisp Projector
i can kill
Mephisto
very easly. When
Mephisto
Baal
Yeah, I will definitely use
Wisp Projector
by default from now on. I thought it would be enough to prebuff with
Fade
from Treachery as it has worked for me before, but apparently it's not always enough. I have a
Lightsabre
somewhere also, thanks for the tip!
I think all in all the goal is to be at 300% light res to fight Über Meph to negate his
Conviction
So if you gave 60-ish from
Salvation
+ the standard 175 from usual gear, you need 65 more to find through gear changes, swappable charms...

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
I think all in all the goal is to be at 300% light res to fight Über Meph to negate his
Conviction
So if you gave 60-ish from
Salvation
+ the standard 175 from usual gear, you need 65 more to find through gear changes, swappable charms...
Oh, do you mean that I would use
Salvation
while actually fighting Meph? (I usually switch to
Fanaticism
once I'm in melee range for attack speed and greater chance of proccing
Life Tap
from Dracul's.) In that case I could just as well use
Resist Lightning
, I was using
Salvation
to survive entering the portal mostly because I was taking all kinds of damage (cold from blizzard, fire from mages, etc.).

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
I would tend to keep
Salvation
on until Meph is dead, as his
Conviction
aura does something like -125 all res.

It's well explained in the
Uber Mephisto
page actually :

"300% resistance is needed to neutralize Über
Mephisto
's level 20
Conviction
aura.
270% counting the
Prison of Ice
act 5 quest. 75% max resistance. 100% for the Hell difficulty penalty. and 125% for Über
Mephisto
's
Conviction
aura. "

If you can do it with
Salvation
instead of Lightning Resist you also gain Fire and Cold resists which will also be way lowered by
Conviction
, even if these are less critical for this purpose, so it's normally better to have
Salvation
on (even if you less need 300% for the others, damn those gloams !)

Well, I say that but never did über
Tristram
myself, just preparing for it. :)

Annihilus
I usually aim for 220 - 240 resistances (except for poison, which I put around 200-210) and after that proc
Fade
from Treachery. Don't use Thundergods or
Lightsabre
, didn't find a need for them (I prefer verdungo for
Belt
). With this setup after
Conviction
from Meph I have 55 to 75 res to all (35-45 for poison) switch to
Fanaticism
and
Smite
with dracs. When ubers get separated properly with this setup, don't have problems.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...