Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
38 replies   1481 views

Description

We all know the so called OP items in this game. Enigma & Spirit runewords immediately come to mind. I'm playing solo offline and wielding a
Suicide Branch
on my Necromancer. Holy cow, I feel like I'm hacking the game at clvl 33. Hitting crazy BPs, some nice all res...+skills and mana to boot. There are certainly several uniques at the normal/exceptional level that are actually insane in this game!

Can be used to make Runewords:

We all know the so called OP items in this game. Enigma & Spirit runewords immediately come to mind. I'm playing solo offline and wielding a
Suicide Branch
on my Necromancer. Holy cow, I feel like I'm hacking the game at clvl 33. Hitting crazy BPs, some nice all res...+skills and mana to boot. There are certainly several uniques at the normal/exceptional level that are actually insane in this game!
Spirit certainly takes the #1 spot.

Legit opens up the game for < L30

Insight too.

I feel like Spirit runes should have added a more expensive rune -
Pul
/
Um
and take away another in it's place.

Fun fact: Spirit used to be Ladder only when it was first introduced!

Introducing! New Tristram Talk! -Join up & Participate!

While the snow remains,
veiled in the haze of evening,
a cold leafless branch.
Flowers are only flowers because they fall..
But thankfully the Wind.
Yes, to me Spirit and Insight are #1 and #2 on the "OP list". There's nothing else that breaks the gear progression quite like those two and is so accessible.

-Spirit shield is nearly uncontested in its gear slot for most builds; almost never does an FCR-based build even consider an alternative. The fact that it's so easy for Paladins to construct (while getting loads of extra res) is silly.

-Insight completely trivializes a party's mana management (in theory, a core part of game balance) and does so without requiring a player to equip it. An Insight merc is basically two free auras that packs quite some damage to boot.
Skaijuice wrote: 1 week ago
Pul
/
Um
Um
would make Spirit even more OP...
Which recalls a time when no such OP RW's existed - and by no certain length was the game unbeatable then.

There was a time..long long ago, where only a certain class of item provided enough + to skills.
Ume's Lament
Silks of the Victor
and
Stormshield
have now been seconded and worse...relegated to the discount bin...

While the snow remains,
a cold leafless branch.
But thankfully the Wind.
dolphin wrote: 1 week ago
Pul
/
Um
Um
would make Spirit even more OP...
Than against what
Thul
already gave easy access to? At least
Um
requires some measure of luck at the forge to get early.

The Spirit runes currently can be farmed easily and predictably within Normal , Normal Act 5, Normal Tower TZ.

For a paladin that's 50 FCR, almost 200 Mana, and a truck load of resist for 2 inv slots.

That's why it's so considered Uniform. And we damn well took advantage LOL.

While the snow remains,
a cold leafless branch.
But thankfully the Wind.
I think there are quite a few OP items in the game. Certainly the top tier items that are in the game are awesome. I'd like to mention a few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Skin of the Vipermagi
: Man this item is good and really can carry you into the late game. Prior to getting Enigma, Chains of Honor, or anything else this item just rocks.

Nightwing's Veil
: For any cold based build this item is king, especially if you can get 15% rolled onto it. You can really feel the difference if you are running a blizzard sorceress,
Frozen Orb
sorceress, or even a riftsin.

Laying of Hands
: Another item that is not terribly hard to find but pays such large dividends for really any physical build. Slap these on and watch demons melt when running places like Chaos for example.

Obedience (
Eth
especially): Do you want to see your might A2 mercenary slay. Well this is the item for you. Really good stats and can even be a nice item on a shapeshifting Druid for ubers. I have used an
Eth
Obedience for just ubers and it definitely does the trick.

Death Runeword: Aww man this thing slaps in an ethereal base. Really good budget item for doing ubers, I have done them with barb using this weapon and a Grief and it just slays. A really good stat stick to stack CB as well.

Duress: Along with Death this is a nice budget item that is not terribly hard to make but really goes a long way. Lots of good stats, though there are better items out there this one definitely feels good for the price and what you get for it.

Ribcracker
: If it is upped this is a really good item for shapeshifters as it does a ton of dmg, swings really fast, and has a ton of CB on it. Perfect for ubers or just beating the snot out of enemies.

The list can go on and on but I think these are some pretty OP items relative to their cost, accessibility, etc.

I'm waiting for the future poster to make the comment..for the RW that begins with " M ".

While the snow remains,
a cold leafless branch.
But thankfully the Wind.
Spirit is generally not an end-game piece unless it's on the shield. And if it's on the shield, it's in a
Monarch
which is hard to come by and has a high str requirement. Spirit doesn't feel that OP to me.

The runeword that strikes me as completely unashamedly OP is Mosaic (there you go ska). I feel like they just threw Mosaic out there without balancing it and just called it a day. It could be brought down a lot and still be amazing. 2
Gul
Mal
and you're crushing p8 everywhere.

Teebling 6227Admin

Europe PC
You guys did show a lot of restraint before posting Mosaic lol. Would have thought that'd be right at the top of this thread.

As a mostly barb player, for a non-thrower one a Lawbringer (or its
Azurewrath
sibling) is a must to have weapon. Also used to be a ladder-only item, but now it's an insanely affordable life and time saver.
Teebling wrote: 1 week ago
You guys did show a lot of restraint before posting Mosaic lol. Would have thought that'd be right at the top of this thread.
It-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18:00-21:00), weekends (09:00 - 21:00)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
Grief is a very powerful weapon, too. I play a Zealer with it.
Before getting it I was struggling on P8 on Cows with an Unbending Will .
Now I storm through aided with a a buff from Call To Arms.
Doom is OP in my book. Perfect roll gives you -60% to enemy cold resistance! Combine this with
Cold Mastery
, sunder charm and perfect cold facet and you easily go -100%! Max out Blizzard and you just demolish everything...

I'm waiting for the future poster to make the comment..for the RW that begins with " M ".

Yay cute Fujisama :)

Indeed Memory in a perfect base (+3 to ES) gives +9 to ES!
Kriss_De_Valnor_ wrote: 1 week ago
Doom is OP in my book. Perfect roll gives you -60% to enemy cold resistance! Combine this with
Cold Mastery
, sunder charm and perfect cold facet and you easily go -100%! Max out Blizzard and you just demolish everything...
Fathom > Doom IMHO,
Cold Mastery
is already huge.

I'm not sure fathom or Doom really counts as OP though. It's meant to be end game and go up against the hardest situations in the game.
I concur with most of the items here. My personal list, in no particular order is
Insight
Spirit
Stealth
Grief
CTA
Enigma

First three are the cheap and stupidly useful early game runewords (and for some builds, late game). Last are the default for basically every build (Grief for melee only), I really need a reason to not use them on most chars.

PD: Mosaic is probably the most op item right now, but I didn't really like the playstyle, so I didn't list it out of spite.
Kriss_De_Valnor_ wrote: 1 week ago

Yay cute Fujisama :)

Indeed Memory in a perfect base (+3 to ES) gives +9 to ES!
Caught the reference hehe. Hope to see more of her and the other side characters that were not given much screen time in S2 of Shogun!

While the snow remains,
a cold leafless branch.
But thankfully the Wind.
I don't understand this thread.

Most players just have someone rush them to endgame anyway, so why are we complaining about items that are powerful in nightmare?

Yes, Spirit and Stealth, and to a lesser extent Insight, are very powerful in nightmare. They're not the only items that are powerful in nightmare, as the OP pointed out there are many items that can drop such as SOJ that make nightmare significantly easier. FCR rings and amulets make nightmare significantly easier, same for Lore.
Lidless Wall
is very powerful and drops in NM. Similarly for Silkweaves,
Magefist
, oculus, vipermagi.

Nightmare is arguably the easiest difficulty level in the game, that's because you finally start getting some good items and those items are scaled with hell in mind. I guess this is OP, but it's OP for mid game only which is not where a lot of players hang out.

Even if you're talking about your first char in a ladder season not being hard enough in NM (which is a very specific complaint), you don't have to trade to go find those runes or items.

This game is scaled on the hard side for normal, easy side for nightmare, and just about perfect for hell, with the exception of Mosaic which is easy to get and makes hell a joke.

If we're complaining about OP items that make a lot of other items junk, I kinda get that. But one could argue that maybe a lot of the uniques in this game are just not nearly good enough for hell. Instead of beefing runewords, blizzard could have upgraded some uniques. But blizzard seemed to prefer the runeword chase over the unique chase.

Spirit, Grief, and Enigma are very powerful. But Spirit is most powerful in its perfect fcr roll
Monarch
form, which is not that easy to get and not available midgame unless you trade for it. I think an argument could be made that some other items need to be made more powerful. Too many uniques are just not very good.

Schnorki 3346Moderator

PC
departure wrote: 1 week ago
[..]
Most players just have someone rush them to endgame anyway
[..]
I used to think that. But apparently, no. At least as far as folks here are concerned.
(see forums/how-do-you-actually-level-t1487373.html)

As for OP items though, I'm inclined to say playing through vs. rushing largely makes very little difference in terms of the list.

The two "overkill OP early on" items that truly stand out, at least for a number of builds, are Spirit and Insight, as already mentioned here plenty of times. Not only because they're exceptionally strong for when you can realistically get them but also because - unlike most other items that would make the list - they're quite easily and reliably farmable with rather little time invest.

Other items you COULD get early on can indeed be quite strong and massively shift the balance in your favor at lower lvls (SoJ, viper, ...) but all of those will only do so if you happen to actually randomly be lucky enough to find them along the way (which most of the time you won't be) as actively farming them will likely take far longer than would ever be worth it. After all, why bother farming some "OP in early NM" item if farming said item takes just as long as playing through all of NM and hell without it and then some?

Given, if you're just collecting tons of lvling gear for future chars to enjoy then sure, the list gets quite a bit longer.

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation