Description

My
Frenzy
barb is currently at 63 so far wearing a light
Sabre
and an oat.
I just put on Fortitude and went into
The Den of Evil
and I must say I am not impressed so far.
I am squishy and the damage output is good but not comparable to my jav when doing melee - but my jav is of course 93 and probably has better gear.

I was thinking about Grief / LW in pb , Fortitutde, Gore Riders, High Lords, (Areats or Guilames?) - for Merc I was thinking about Pride. Main considerations was CB and survivability on LW combined with damage on Grief.

What I am wondering I guess is if with better gear the
Frenzy
barb becomes more viable also in higher player counts - and what
Belt
would I wear? Trang Ouls for cannot be frozen?
Description by xigua

Can be used to make Runewords:

xigua 63

My
Frenzy
barb is currently at 63 so far wearing a light
Sabre
and an oat.
I just put on Fortitude and went into
The Den of Evil
and I must say I am not impressed so far.
I am squishy and the damage output is good but not comparable to my jav when doing melee - but my jav is of course 93 and probably has better gear.

I was thinking about Grief / LW in pb , Fortitutde, Gore Riders, High Lords, (Areats or Guilames?) - for Merc I was thinking about Pride. Main considerations was CB and survivability on LW combined with damage on Grief.

What I am wondering I guess is if with better gear the
Frenzy
barb becomes more viable also in higher player counts - and what
Belt
would I wear? Trang Ouls for cannot be frozen?

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
A well geared
Frenzy
barb can clear through P1 quite quickly and can still handle P8 well enough.

Though "well enough" is nowhere even close to what you're used to from actual top-end builds like sorcs, hdins, javazons, Mosaic sins and such. If that's your expectation, you will be thoroughly disappointed even in the high 90s with perfect gear. The clear speed just isn't comparable as is the case for basically every single-target build.
The 'squishy' bit is simply a matter of gear/build though, that goes away entirely and you can just blindly plow through everything simply by mindlessly holding down your
Frenzy
button.

LW imo is and remains the single biggest waste of runes and most overrated rw in the entire game. It is lackluster on an A5 merc. It is even worse when used yourself. I know some folks may disagree but I stand by that. :P

Rik 132

Americas PC
Yes, LW kinda sux. But itā€™s a right of passage. I wish the game had a few more super expensive end game runewords, with high roll variability just to keep everyone in the grind for longer but I digress..

For survivability,
Cham
a
Helm
and throw on
String of Ears
. Once you equip Grief your life will be way better. If you havenā€™t, put a point into ww for maneuvering in combat. Just be careful with ww bc when using it you may decide to scrap
Frenzy
and become another run of the mill ww barb :p

Also
Howl
can help a lot. One point should suffice. If youā€™re going item find (probably not bc
Frenzy
is high synergy cost) you can also use
Grim Ward
. Itā€™s really annoying but it makes normal monsters like butter, if you can catch them. Frenzied ww helps ;)
OP

xigua 63

so you say i would be better of with 2 griefs instead of a LW? IAS is also driving me crazy - I traded a super cool Grief in a BA but that guy is slow... so I guess I need another phaseblade or a 40 IAS roll on the second weapon - uff

since Pride doesn't add damage to the weapon, should I build it on a
Thresher
or something cheaper?
My level 92
Frenzy
barbarian is a go to character for torch hunting for me. I had a chance the other day to clear the Worldstone TZ at P8 with it. Yes, it's been quite a workout dealing with hordes of physical immune super Hell Temptress and alike monsters accompanied with their champion variants at once, but manageable.
For the gear I put on him an almost perfect superior AP base Fortitude, a socketed with 40% ED jewel Aarreat's Face, a
Thundergod's Vigor
Belt
for a boost in lightning defense,
Gore Rider
Boots
and
Dracul's Grasp
gloves.
For weapons I'm a sucka for an ethereal
Berserker Axe
based BotD and a PB Lawbringer. Yes, I'm aware of the fact they are of two different types of weapons, which many consider as less than ideal. Sometimes I replace the Lawbringer with a
Berserker Axe
based Beast against the non-
Travincal
ubers.
Highlord's Wrath
amulet, a high roll
Raven Frost
ring and either a rare ring (mostly for high strength when I want to switch to a less than ideal armor base Enigma) or a high dexterity life leach crafted ring round up the equipment used. Oh, for the switch weapon I use a pair of
Heart Carver
daggers for extra looting of items with barbarian's Item find skill, that helped me to squeeze out a
Vex
rune the other day, some unique items as well.

Rik 132

Americas PC
Yeah in almost any situation Iā€™d go Grief phase. LW does have some really cool features. Ridiculous crushing blow, 2 amazing procs and an aura, but itā€™s roughly just over a 1/3 of the base damage of Grief when both are in phase blades and thatā€™s not counting griefs deadly strike. In D2R the best defense is a good offense.

Prides damage is almost negligible, your merc isnā€™t going to be killing much, only shattering corpses, to which I speak for myself and all fellow horkers, damn you to hell
Cham
! But the damage will impact his survivability with leech and the runeword is super expensive, Iā€™d find an ethereal, elite base and be good with that unless youā€™re interested in resale. You could always roll it perfect, sell that and then make another Pride with change. If you roll perfect in a poor base, itā€™ll fraction what youā€™d otherwise get for it. Ethereal
Mancatcher
or
Thresher
are always solid options.

Rik 132

Americas PC
bigbikefan wrote: 3 months ago
My level 92
Frenzy
barbarian is a go to character for torch hunting for me. I had a chance the other day to clear the Worldstone TZ at P8 with it. Yes, it's been quite a workout dealing with hordes of physical immune super Hell Temptress and alike monsters accompanied with their champion variants at once, but manageable.
For the gear I put on him an almost perfect superior AP base Fortitude, a socketed with 40% ED jewel Aarreat's Face, a
Thundergod's Vigor
Belt
for a boost in lightning defense,
Gore Rider
Boots
and
Dracul's Grasp
gloves.
For weapons I'm a sucka for an ethereal
Berserker Axe
based BotD and a PB Lawbringer. Yes, I'm aware of the fact they are of two different types of weapons, which many consider as less than ideal. Sometimes I replace the Lawbringer with a
Berserker Axe
based Beast against the non-
Travincal
ubers.
Highlord's Wrath
amulet, a high roll
Raven Frost
ring and either a rare ring (mostly for high strength when I want to switch to a less than ideal armor base Enigma) or a high dexterity life leach crafted ring round up the equipment used. Oh, for the switch weapon I use a pair of
Heart Carver
daggers for extra looting of items with barbarian's Item find skill, that helped me to squeeze out a
Vex
rune the other day, some unique items as well.

Botd and Lawbringer?

Those poor undead šŸ’€

Iā€™d love to experiment more with both azure Wrath and Lawbringer but Iā€™m just too addicted to horking šŸ¤‘šŸ¤‘šŸ¤‘
Rik wrote: 3 months ago
Yeah in almost any situation Iā€™d go Grief phase. LW does have some really cool features. Ridiculous crushing blow, 2 amazing procs and an aura, but itā€™s roughly just over a 1/3 of the base damage of Grief when both are in phase blades and thatā€™s not counting griefs deadly strike. In D2R the best defense is a good offense.

Prides damage is almost negligible, your merc isnā€™t going to be killing much, only shattering corpses, to which I speak for myself and all fellow horkers, damn you to hell
Cham
! But the damage will impact his survivability with leech and the runeword is super expensive, Iā€™d find an ethereal, elite base and be good with that unless youā€™re interested in resale. You could always roll it perfect, sell that and then make another Pride with change. If you roll perfect in a poor base, itā€™ll fraction what youā€™d otherwise get for it. Ethereal
Mancatcher
or
Thresher
You mentioned using an ethereal, elite base for the Pride runeword for your mercenary. How does the damage of Pride affect your mercenary's survivability through leech, and what factors would you consider when choosing the base for the Pride runeword?

IMHO the best guide for a
Frenzy
barb so far.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comment ... y_barb_d2/

Switch Friends Code: 6184-4783-6702
Yea Grief is hard to beat, sometimes Iā€™ll go with Botd and Death just to switch it up (have sets in both berserker axes and
Colossus Sword
/
Blade
)

The
Frenzy
barb is fun, but like every other barb build (for me at least) itā€™s just to cleanse my pallet after better builds like
Nova
/
Fireball
sorcs, hammerdins - because they can make your mind numb

Rik 132

Americas PC
feeney2 wrote: 1 month ago
Rik wrote: 3 months ago

Cham
Mancatcher
or
Thresher
You mentioned using an ethereal, elite base for the Pride runeword for your mercenary. How does the damage of Pride affect your mercenary's survivability through leech, and what factors would you consider when choosing the base for the Pride runeword?
With Pride alone, the damage has little to do with survivability unless used in conjunction with a
Helm
or armor that provides leech in which case, his damage provides his source of healing as a percentage and thus survivability. Without considering leech, it impacts how quickly he kills things, with faster kills generally meaning more survivability. With this in mind, the factors Iā€™d consider regarding the base are price and dps.

The thing with Pride is that it has no on weapon Ed, meaning the massive damage bonus
Concentration
applies for the merc is neutered by the low base damage of a weapon with no Ed. One way you can slightly mitigate is by finding an ethereal base which would give an additional 50 percent more damage, thus 50 percent more leech. Unfortunately, his damage will remain paltry even with the 300% conc + 200% might boost. Even if you went ham and purchased an uber expensive 15ed base, itā€™s still gonna suck damagewise compared to any other common option. But besides not wanting to buy a more expensive ethereal base, there is no other reason I can think of to make Pride in a corporeal weapon when solely intending to use it in a merc. In fact, I can think of no reason to use Pride on anything but a merc. Tho Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some summoner out there whoā€™s tried it.

If trying to maximize dps with the merc, run an ias calculator and test different bases accounting for what you intend to equip in the armor and
Helm
slot. The damage metric is essentially a weapons average damage x rate of attack x to hit chance.

Increased attack speed in d2 is tricky bc itā€™s dependent upon reaching certain breakpoints, itā€™s further complicated by the act 2 merc dynamics with using
Jab
vs regular attacks and those calculations are way beyond my scope of knowledge. Iā€™m a ā€œthatā€™s good enoughā€ kind of d2r player ;)

I think if youā€™re using an ethereal elite base that the variation between them will not result in noticeable shifts in performance, but if youā€™re intent on min/maxing youā€™ll need to run multiple calculations or find a trustworthy guide. There is at least one in depth guide regarding the ultimate base for Infinity which to my recollection is the mancatchrr on the whole, but I think that the crushing blow chance of Infinity is a prime factor in that calculation. Being that
Mancatcher
is the fastest act 2 merc elite base in which Infinity can be placed (I think šŸ¤”), it makes intuitive sense to me. You could probably find that discussion using the search function on this site on forums.

Hope that helps šŸ¤ž

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation