Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   309 views

Description

Battle.net allows you to make a persistent game that lasts for a little while (I've heard as much as 5 minutes) when the game is empty. I've used this feature to trade
Khalim's Will
between characters. I figured in this way I could get two dclones for the price of one. Especially with the asia servers rolling so fast and predictably.

This was my plan. I hang out in game for 20 minutes or whatever it takes for the next predicted dclone spawn. As the tracker hits 4/6 or so, I exit my game and make a new one. As soon as dclone spawns, I kill him. Then I return to the old game which has not been empty for more than a minute or so.

...but the old game is gone.

These are games that I would expect to have been persistent for longer than the amount of time I was away. It seems like if dclone spawns when a game is empty, the game is killed. Has anyone else tried this or can anyone else confirm?

Thanks.
Description by departure

Can be used to make Runewords:

Battle.net allows you to make a persistent game that lasts for a little while (I've heard as much as 5 minutes) when the game is empty. I've used this feature to trade
Khalim's Will
between characters. I figured in this way I could get two dclones for the price of one. Especially with the asia servers rolling so fast and predictably.

This was my plan. I hang out in game for 20 minutes or whatever it takes for the next predicted dclone spawn. As the tracker hits 4/6 or so, I exit my game and make a new one. As soon as dclone spawns, I kill him. Then I return to the old game which has not been empty for more than a minute or so.

...but the old game is gone.

These are games that I would expect to have been persistent for longer than the amount of time I was away. It seems like if dclone spawns when a game is empty, the game is killed. Has anyone else tried this or can anyone else confirm?

Thanks.

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
DClone doesn't close the game, you do.

Each account may only host one game per region at a time. So as soon as you make a new game, your old, empty one gets closed, with or without dclone.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 2 months ago
DClone doesn't close the game, you do.

Each account may only host one game per region at a time. So as soon as you make a new game, your old, empty one gets closed, with or without dclone.
Aha!

Thank you. This is the piece I was missing.

ShadowHeart 1794Moderator

Europe PC
For the record, dclone also doesn't spawn in a game if the game is empty at the moment the walk happens, so your plan wouldn't have worked anyway. If you briefly leave your game (for example due to a disconnect or to switch to another character) before the walk and re-join the game immediately after the walk, there won't be a dclone since you weren't actually considered to be in the game when the walk happened. Note: you may be considered to be in the game by the servers while on the load screen, briefly before you actually see your character in-game. Your character spawns into the game before you actually see yourself in-game, how long before depends on your load times.

If you anticipate that a walk is happening shortly (like within seconds) and you're already in a hell game then it's better to just stay in it until you get the invaded message, and then swap character after the fact. Just make sure you know the game name/pw before leaving (particularly important if you made the game via the PLAY button, and yes, those games can be re-joined too like any other game).

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
OP
ShadowHeart wrote: 2 months ago
For the record, dclone also doesn't spawn in a game if the game is empty at the moment the walk happens, so your plan wouldn't have worked anyway. If you briefly leave your game (for example due to a disconnect or to switch to another character) before the walk and re-join the game immediately after the walk, there won't be a dclone since you weren't actually considered to be in the game when the walk happened. Note: you may be considered to be in the game by the servers while on the load screen, briefly before you actually see your character in-game. Your character spawns into the game before you actually see yourself in-game, how long before depends on your load times.

If you anticipate that a walk is happening shortly (like within seconds) and you're already in a hell game then it's better to just stay in it until you get the invaded message, and then swap character after the fact. Just make sure you know the game name/pw before leaving (particularly important if you made the game via the PLAY button, and yes, those games can be re-joined too like any other game).

Hmmm. I thought Dclone keyed off of the game rather than the presence of a player in it. Interesting.

I did actually do what you laid out there. I left a game that had dclone in it because I mistakenly thought he did not spawn. When I realized my error I rejoined it and he was still there.

ShadowHeart 1794Moderator

Europe PC
departure wrote: 2 months ago
Hmmm. I thought Dclone keyed off of the game rather than the presence of a player in it. Interesting.
Yeah, you would think it wouldn't matter, but the servers apparently keep track of it when deciding whether a game is eligible for a dclone spawn. I've personally missed some walks due to being disconnected shortly before it happened.

departure wrote: 2 months ago
I did actually do what you laid out there. I left a game that had dclone in it because I mistakenly thought he did not spawn. When I realized my error I rejoined it and he was still there.
Yeah, if you leave a game after the walk has happened, you can leave and rejoin as much as you want and dclone will not despawn. Doesn't matter if you have actually spawned him in any location, or if you have yet to visit a super unique.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation