Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   6399 views

Description

Was wondering if a dual Plague Dragon kicksin could work - I read the kicker guides and they usually prefer
Dragon Talon
working with
Stormlash
or whatnot. Now I was wondering if a Plague
Dragon Tail
AOE Venom build could work. First question would be if the aeo even applies poison and secondly if Venom can provide enough damage to be competitive.

Dual Plague will get you at -46% poison immunity and Bramble + up to 50% damage. Not sure if there would be other must haves.

Can be used to make Runewords:

xigua 63

Was wondering if a dual Plague Dragon kicksin could work - I read the kicker guides and they usually prefer
Dragon Talon
working with
Stormlash
or whatnot. Now I was wondering if a Plague
Dragon Tail
AOE Venom build could work. First question would be if the aeo even applies poison and secondly if Venom can provide enough damage to be competitive.

Dual Plague will get you at -46% poison immunity and Bramble + up to 50% damage. Not sure if there would be other must haves.

Schnorki 3195Moderator

PC
Simply put:
There's various kicksin options that work but any kicksin not going for dual Mosaic nowadays is just wasting its own potential (while typically having to spend far more on acceptable gear on top of that).

The AoE part is merely fire damage that is based on the initial physical dmg of your kick.
OP

xigua 63

shame - yea - Mosaic ruined the sin... well or elevated it however you want to see it. No no AOE poison - double shame ~ thank you

Schnorki 3195Moderator

PC
Well, it depends on what you want.

Mosaic didn't make the others any worse. It just made the decision of "weird fun thing" vs. "true top performance" even more obvious.

As for the poison bit, that's really no concern. At all.

A
Dragon Tail
sin - when even half-way built correctly - has probably the single most insane damage per hit in the game. Not in the "aye, 10k more dps than xyz" sense but rather in the "you're literally talking hundreds of thousands per kick, millions of theoretical dps" sense. You won't notice a difference with or without poison damage because you can literally 1shot everything that isn't
Baal
, DC or an uber.

At least on P1..higher counts, other bosses start taking more than 1 hit as well.
Note, the above is just a quickly cobbled together version. I played around with this one quite a bit in the pre-Mosaic days and I distinctly recall there was a way to push damage even higher (significantly so..to around 3.4M dps I believe it was), I just can't remember what that was right now..had to switch out 1
Key
piece for something weird and unexpected, that much I remember..

Also built an actual in-game version, more tailored for real play (since the dmg per kick is just pure overkill no matter what you do) which ended up with
(so a bit lower) but had brilliant survivability on top of it, unlike a pure raw dmg push. Still 1shot anything pre-
Baal

The problem though - and the reason it is so inferior to Mosaic despite that - is that you
a) have to re-
Charge
because without Mosaic, charges drop
and b) have to actually use
Dragon Tail

So you lose time on re-charging (at least for bosses, non-bosses you can actually 1shot without charges still) and when moving from one pack to the next, you have to
Dragon Flight
->
Dragon Tail
and then
Dragon Flight
to the next one.

Mosaic by contrast when built right can
Dragon Flight
in and then immediately
Dragon Flight
to the next one because everything got blown up from the DF alone (and at least partially in a larger radius), meaning you save the entire
Dragon Tail
action on every pack and hence massively speed up the process for reasoning as dumb as "yeah, you 1shot everything..but you don't 1shot it with the more convenient/efficient skill!".

Despite Mosaic leaving it in the dust though, you are still talking about a build with fairly insane actual top-tier performance here. So if you enjoy the playstyle, by all means, go for it.

The gear to truly optimize that one though is nearly impossible to get, let alone for cheap.

(You could run a Mosaic tail build actually..saves you from charges dropping at least..but the max dmg will be lower than a claw-optimized tail build)

Schnorki 3195Moderator

PC
Schnorki wrote: 3 months ago
Note, the above is just a quickly cobbled together version. I played around with this one quite a bit in the pre-Mosaic days and I distinctly recall there was a way to push damage even higher (significantly so..to around 3.4M dps I believe it was), I just can't remember what that was right now..had to switch out 1
Key
piece for something weird and unexpected, that much I remember..
Alright, remembered what had to be switched...3.8 it was. :)
You could still push that past 3.9 but then you're looking at pre-buffing and gear switching and all that annoying stuff. F that.
I built a
Dragon Tail
/
Dragon Talon
in season 2, but I went with fire. Don't know how well the poison would do. I used the
Dragon Talon
on bosses, used
Dragon Tail
for everything else. I don't have numbers to give, but the gear:

Helm
- Flickering Flame
Shield - Phoenix
Weapon - Lawbringer
Belt
-
String of Ears

Amy - Atmas