Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
12 replies   3143 views

Do Poison Damage and Open Wound stop monster regeneration (in special from Ubers)?

No data yet

Description

Hi

Do Poison Damage and Open Wound stop monster regeneration (in special from Ubers)?

If yes, so can they work as pseudo "Prevent monster Heal" if you hit monster frequently?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi

If yes, so can they work as pseudo "Prevent monster Heal" if you hit monster frequently?

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
Technically Poison Damage would counter monster regeneration so long as you do enough poison damage. Open Wounds however does prevent monster or bosses from healing and deals damage over time linear to your level. Source -
https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/ ... Diablo_II)

If I am not responding add me on Bnet and drop me a message!
OP
So equip something like a charm with 209 poison damage over 10 seconds is pretty useless against healing 😓
(will reduce the healing in ~21 points per second, not counting the monster resistance...)

mhlg 871

Americas PC
Open wounds will prevent monster heal, especially if you're hitting often. If you have multiple items with OW (Stacks up to 100%) then it will trigger more except dual wield and only the striking weapon will work. I never use poison to prevent heal.

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
Poison and OW both fully stop all regen while applied, regardless of the actual damage being done.
More specifically/additionally, monsters do not regenerate in a frame in which they take any actual damage. So not only do poison and OW stop it but so does everything else that applies dmg each frame (e.g. firewall). Similarly, attacking faster reduces it accordingly (as more frames get regen-blocked) and may even take it down to 0 in extreme cases (e.g. summoners with enough adds staggered, a team of strafezons, ...).

You do theoretically need a minimum amount of poison damage to actually poison your target but that amount is so small (minimum dmg = 1/256 per frame -> 25 * 1/256 = 0.097 poison dmg / second) that you are hard pressed to get below it if you have any poison dmg at all. Counting max possible non-immune monster res, you're basically looking at a minimum of about 2 dmg / second needed to still poison your target. Even a
Chipped Emerald
already offers more than that.
(Napkin math before the first coffee...so didn't bother applying truncate rules and whatnot...either way, the number is pretty low)

Poison is inherently inferior here though as you have to deal with immunities and whatnot (Meph +
Lilith
).

OW on the other hand just works on all of them and the 8 second duration on OW means you should be able to reliably reapply it well before it runs out, even if your actual proc chance isn't that high. My smiters for example typically sit at 10% and it pretty much never drops off. Though if you're running with something that attacks slower and/or has a chance to miss, you would obviously want a higher OW proc chance to make up for that.

Prevent monster heal, just for the sake of mentioning it, sadly does not work on ubers.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 4 months ago
Poison and OW both fully stop all regen while applied, regardless of the actual damage being done.

You do theoretically need a minimum amount of poison damage to actually poison your target but that amount is so small (minimum dmg = 1/256 per frame -> 25 * 1/256 = 0.097 poison dmg / second) that you are hard pressed to get below it if you have any poison dmg at all. Counting max possible non-immune monster res, you're basically looking at a minimum of about 2 dmg / second needed to still poison your target. Even a
Chipped Emerald
already offers more than that.
(Napkin math before the first coffee...so didn't bother applying truncate rules and whatnot...either way, the number is pretty low)

Poison is inherently inferior here though as you have to deal with immunities and whatnot (Meph +
Lilith
).

OW on the other hand just works on all of them and the 8 second duration on OW means you should be able to reliably reapply it well before it runs out, even if your actual proc chance isn't that high. My smiters for example typically sit at 10% and it pretty much never drops off. Though if you're running with something that attacks slower and/or has a chance to miss, you would obviously want a higher OW proc chance to make up for that.

Prevent monster heal, just for the sake of mentioning it, sadly does not work on ubers.
So my charm with 209 poison over 10s would work (for the attack builds of course), as a "Prevent monster heal" for non Poison Immunes? 🤔
This will not make one poison charm (or at least 1 source of poison dmg) mandatory for any Attack Build?
(you give up almost nothing to use one, while include prevent monster heal or a high Open Wounds Chance will require specific itens...)

What is the fastest healing non-uber monster to test this?

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
It should, yeah. For anything that you can poison at least and for the final duration of it (which can be influenced by a number of factors in either direction).

Most monster regen outside of ubers/dclone is so low though that you really don't need to worry about it there, making it far from mandatory overall.
And even on those where regen does matter, you can use poison (if not immune), you can use OW, you can frame-block it in various ways, you can (at least on non-ubers) use PMH, you can simply outdps the regen..there's plenty of options to make a poison charm not mandatory that you oftentimes end up getting via the ideal other gear anyways (e.g. get gores to round off crushing blow + deadly -> free OW comes with it, get Grief for the inherently nuts dmg -> free PMH comes with it, ...).

TheDoo 236

Europe PC
IIRC one hit with PMH on monsters (Ubers included) lasts for 3 hours, it resets when you die however and you need to actually make a "normal" weapon hit with it to apply (the best way to do this is to equip Edge since it's very easy and cheap to make and then land 1 "normal" hit). :)

PDmg and Open Wounds have very limited duration tho but yes, they work too. That is why people usually have a random sc with pdmg when going for Ubers (it's reliable at keeping their regen under control).

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
OP
Schnorki wrote: 4 months ago
It should, yeah. For anything that you can poison at least and for the final duration of it (which can be influenced by a number of factors in either direction).

Most monster regen outside of ubers/dclone is so low though that you really don't need to worry about it there, making it far from mandatory overall.
And even on those where regen does matter, you can use poison (if not immune), you can use OW, you can frame-block it in various ways, you can (at least on non-ubers) use PMH, you can simply outdps the regen..there's plenty of options to make a poison charm not mandatory that you oftentimes end up getting via the ideal other gear anyways (e.g. get gores to round off crushing blow + deadly -> free OW comes with it, get Grief for the inherently nuts dmg -> free PMH comes with it, ...).
🤔 you get a point...
Thinking clear now, we in practice don't care about healing even from bosses...
(for some time I kept a "prevent monster heal" weapon on stash, but end up never using it...)

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
TheDoo wrote: 4 months ago
IIRC one hit with PMH on monsters (Ubers included) lasts for 3 hours, it resets when you die however and you need to actually make a "normal" weapon hit with it to apply (the best way to do this is to equip Edge since it's very easy and cheap to make and then land 1 "normal" hit). :)
Aye, PMH does last "forever". Though it also resets when you get too far away from the mob. So if you TP out or just run too far, you will have to reapply it.

Edge has the added bonus of also having life steal so you don't have to guess whether you applied it or not. If the life steal animation plays, you know you didn't miss and you hence also know PMH has been applied.
(My) Definite weapon of choice for undergeared sorcs going after DClone and the like.
OP
The poison effect is not easier to perceive than the life steal - to confirm the hit?
(Edge has both)

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
Depends on the target (and other overriding effects) just how easy/hard poison is to spot.

Life leech swirls on your self..typically hard to miss if you look for them. :)

TheDoo 236

Europe PC
Doesn't TP near mobs work as player character tho? I thought it's like half a screen around TP or something. Useful for being afk when you want to haul back loot from a map, but I thought you can also use this for PMH appliance abuse (aka it would not let PMH be removed for proximity you mentioned)? :)

All that being said, they do tend to roam around...

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...