Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   3817 views

Can a "perfect rolled" rare jewel be better than a "perfect rolled" magic jewel?

No data yet

Description

Hi

On all build guides that I read, when a BIS is socketed with a non-unique jewel, it is always a magic one.

I know that some of the most desired affix can only show up on magic jewels (15 ias) and some others can only have the highest numbers on magic jewels too (40% ed, and 15 resist all x 30% ed and 10 resist all on rares).

Is this enough to make a "perfect rolled" magic always better? Or is the chance of a better "perfect rolled" rare so so low that its not even considered as an option?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi

On all build guides that I read, when a BIS is socketed with a non-unique jewel, it is always a magic one.

I know that some of the most desired affix can only show up on magic jewels (15 ias) and some others can only have the highest numbers on magic jewels too (40% ed, and 15 resist all x 30% ed and 10 resist all on rares).

Is this enough to make a "perfect rolled" magic always better? Or is the chance of a better "perfect rolled" rare so so low that its not even considered as an option?

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
I remember having seen trapsin with 7 FHR / all res (and maybe some other stuff...) jewels socketed in GG +Traps
Claws
as BiS. But since -enemy resistance works with traps now, It's not the case anymore.
I think FHR can only be on rare jewels, so maybe some other builds with FHR needs...?

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
There is no affix that is rare only, while some affixes or top values are magic only. Fhr is "of truth" suffix for the record.

However, some crazy combination of rare can be very valuable. For a Zon something like fhr/30ed/3maek/@res can be super valuable, more than the magic ones as being more rare - even if also more niche.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Yea the ias is the biggest reason to use magic jewels, but say if you don’t need the speed, a perfect rare outclasses a magic one. A perfect rare jewel would have 30ed, +9 strength (essentially 39 ed), +9 dex and maybe +11 all res, or mana after kill, or flat life or mana, but a 5/6 pointer like that would be very rare and equally expensive

Schnorki 3183Moderator

PC
Simple answer:
No, magic is not always better.

Longer answer:
Most of the time, magic jewels will be better because many of the "common critical core stats" are either exclusive to magic jewels (e.g. IAS) or can go higher on magic jewels (e.g. %-dmg or all res). That ratio is further amplified because many builds that don't need those "magic wins" stats are builds that will use facets and hence have no interest in rare jewels either.

Despite that being the case, there are certain (rare) combinations within builds that prioritize differently. They don't need more of the magic-only stats. And they don't need the higher range. For example, say you're setting up an MF char. You end up with a build that needs 10 more all res (available on rare, don't need the magic 15). You also need a bit more FHR to hit your target breakpoint (same on rare and magic). And you only have your jewel slot left to hit those goals. In such a case (random made-up example here but they do exist), you COULD then use a magic jewel still, yes. But using a rare instead would mean you hit your targets and still have extra affixes left to optimize with such as in the random example here getting more MF.

Those cases are typically quite rare. But they do exist.
There are a few unique items where a rare jewel might be preferred. Take a
Crown of Ages
and socket it with two 9 str / 9 dex / 10@ / -15 req jewels. You get an ideal headpiece for most melee and blocking classes. Your odds of finding one with stats like that are close to zero though, so these jewels are incredibly expensive.

But if you're using jewels for a merc's weapon or armor, then 40/15s are usually the way to go.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...