Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
7 replies   6985 views

Fury Druid - Is Death as good as Breath of the Dying?

No data yet

Description

Hi

I'm using a Fury Druid (L82 with an Oath Ethereal
Feral Axe
at the moment).
At first my end goal was to get an Ethereal Breath of the Dying (but at the moment I don't have base or a
Zod
... πŸ™)

Someone suggested me to use a Death instead of Breath of the Dying as it is cheaper and it would be almost as good (I don't have the base either yet... but have the runes πŸ™‚)

As I started to compare both runewords and did some calculations with my Druid,
it seems to me that Death will actually be better than Breath of the Dying in my case πŸ€”
Am I missing something? Or are my thoughs rights?

Comparison:

* draw / close values / not relevant:

- Indestructible: Both give
- Mana Stolen: Both give
- Life Stolen: Only Breath of the Dying gives, but Fury Druid doesn't need it on equipment (thanks to
Feral Rage
)
- Prevent Monster Heal: only Breath of the Dying has, but I do not have it now and I'm not missing it yet... anyway I may use something on the off-hand/inventory with Prevent Monster Heal or equip something with Open Wounds.
- 30 To All Attributes: For me at the moment damage has priority over the extra life.
- Bases: Breath of the Dying has more options, so may be easier to find one Ethereal, but I will probably find a Death Ethereal base before a
Zod
anyway...
And about the damage/speed of the bases, Death may be done of a
Silver-Edged Axe
which have the same average damage as
Great Poleaxe
(and for the Druid the 2h axes are faster πŸ˜‰) or a
Champion Axe
if I want a faster one.

* Death wins:

- Total damage (it's the debatable one): They have similar "Enhanced Damage". Additionally Breath of the Dying has 60% Increased Attack Speed and 30 Strength, while Death has 40+% Deadly Strike which seems to have more effect in the end, at least with my equipment and skills (on my calculations a minimum roll Death does just a little less damage than a max roll Breath of the Dying, while an average roll Death superpass it)
- Attack Ratting: Death gives a little more.
- Crushing Blow: only Death have, and is very high πŸ˜‰
- Crowd Control: on paper at least, the
Glacial Spike
On Attack, seem like a very good extra πŸ™‚

* Breath of the Dying wins:

- Enhanced Damage: Breath of the Dying wins (buy not for much... and on "Total damage" Death wins πŸ˜›)

Calculations:
https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/yh01vont

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi

I'm using a Fury Druid (L82 with an Oath Ethereal
Feral Axe
at the moment).
At first my end goal was to get an Ethereal Breath of the Dying (but at the moment I don't have base or a
Zod
... πŸ™)

Someone suggested me to use a Death instead of Breath of the Dying as it is cheaper and it would be almost as good (I don't have the base either yet... but have the runes πŸ™‚)

As I started to compare both runewords and did some calculations with my Druid,
it seems to me that Death will actually be better than Breath of the Dying in my case πŸ€”
Am I missing something? Or are my thoughs rights?

Comparison:

* draw / close values / not relevant:

- Indestructible: Both give
- Mana Stolen: Both give
- Life Stolen: Only Breath of the Dying gives, but Fury Druid doesn't need it on equipment (thanks to
Feral Rage
)
- Prevent Monster Heal: only Breath of the Dying has, but I do not have it now and I'm not missing it yet... anyway I may use something on the off-hand/inventory with Prevent Monster Heal or equip something with Open Wounds.
- 30 To All Attributes: For me at the moment damage has priority over the extra life.
- Bases: Breath of the Dying has more options, so may be easier to find one Ethereal, but I will probably find a Death Ethereal base before a
Zod
anyway...
And about the damage/speed of the bases, Death may be done of a
Silver-Edged Axe
which have the same average damage as
Great Poleaxe
(and for the Druid the 2h axes are faster πŸ˜‰) or a
Champion Axe
if I want a faster one.

* Death wins:

- Total damage (it's the debatable one): They have similar "Enhanced Damage". Additionally Breath of the Dying has 60% Increased Attack Speed and 30 Strength, while Death has 40+% Deadly Strike which seems to have more effect in the end, at least with my equipment and skills (on my calculations a minimum roll Death does just a little less damage than a max roll Breath of the Dying, while an average roll Death superpass it)
- Attack Ratting: Death gives a little more.
- Crushing Blow: only Death have, and is very high πŸ˜‰
- Crowd Control: on paper at least, the
Glacial Spike
On Attack, seem like a very good extra πŸ™‚

* Breath of the Dying wins:

- Enhanced Damage: Breath of the Dying wins (buy not for much... and on "Total damage" Death wins πŸ˜›)

Calculations:
https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/yh01vont

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
Ethereal
The Reaper's Toll
for a well-rounded furydruid that can kill anything, incl. immunes without
Bone Break
. Also ignore defense on non-champs for 95% hit chance. Against any enemy with physical resistance (most enemies in hell difficulty), reaper's toll has the highest damage output after
Decrepify
trigger out of all the weapons below.

Ethereal Death 2h axe for up to 100% crit chance.
Decapitator
/
Glorious Axe
are the best 2h axe options. In the end you will reach the same speeds as with
Champion Axe
/
Silver-Edged Axe
. Use Death together with Metamorphosis buffs or not at all. Without it it comes out on top only against higher player count enemies and act bosses.

Ethereal Breath of the Dying
Archon Staff
for tight damage spread or
Thunder Maul
for swingy hits. For Fury consider the highest range addition as well.
Glorious Axe
adds 3. All kick like a truck.

EDIT for endgame gear: Fortitude > Treachery on self; Pride over Reaper on merc (you will be outrunning him all the time, so the
Decrepify
triggers from him are unreliable.) You could get an act V barbarian with double Lawbringer for better
Decrepify
procs + quick movement. Definitely a fine option.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP
Thanks for the tips πŸ‘
(still don't have runes for Pride and Fortitude πŸ™πŸ˜“)

About Act 5 x Act 2 merc for
Decrepify
trigger, I found both very unreliable... πŸ™
(If I didn't have
Bone Break
, I would probably use
The Reaper's Toll
or Lawbringer on the off-hand instead of depend on my merc)

Just to clarify, at the moment I'm not really using
The Reaper's Toll
on Act 2 for the
Decrepify
proc, its just that for now it is my higher damage Polearm that is "free" and thanks to the Life Steal on it, my Merc if free to choose a
Helm
/Armor without any Life Steal πŸ™‚

I've been playing with this build for a bit. I've been using BoTD on an
Eth
Giant Thresher
. It's super-fast without any additional IAS and has the longest reach in the game. I was running
Bone Break
+
Atma
's for the Amplify proc for immunes and Drac's for
Life Tap
to deal with skeletons / mobs that don't allow life leech.

I was thinking about going the Death route. The
Poison Nova
proc is pretty much useless in hell and the chance to freeze enemies for crowd control with
Glacial Spike
is super nice.

I also adopted your Obedience strategy since I found CTA to be both annoying to keep up, as when you break were form you drop the Feral buff and not much benefit from a damage / survivability standpoint. I figure higher AR = more consistent hits = more consistent damage and procs!
Queegon wrote: 6 months ago
Ethereal
The Reaper's Toll
for a well-rounded furydruid that can kill anything, incl. immunes without
Bone Break
. Also ignore defense on non-champs for 95% hit chance. Against any enemy with physical resistance (most enemies in hell difficulty), reaper's toll has the highest damage output after
Decrepify
trigger out of all the weapons below.

Ethereal Death 2h axe for up to 100% crit chance.
Decapitator
/
Glorious Axe
are the best 2h axe options. In the end you will reach the same speeds as with
Champion Axe
/
Silver-Edged Axe
. Use Death together with Metamorphosis buffs or not at all. Without it it comes out on top only against higher player count enemies and act bosses.

Ethereal Breath of the Dying
Archon Staff
for tight damage spread or
Thunder Maul
for swingy hits. For Fury consider the highest range addition as well.
Glorious Axe
adds 3. All kick like a truck.

EDIT for endgame gear: Fortitude > Treachery on self; Pride over Reaper on merc (you will be outrunning him all the time, so the
Decrepify
triggers from him are unreliable.) You could get an act V barbarian with double Lawbringer for better
Decrepify
procs + quick movement. Definitely a fine option.

This is super interesting; I threw on my non-
Eth
reapers toll and started playing with it. 33% proc is nice and it happens on nearly every mob. I need to play with it some more.
I was playing with the Act 3 Merc for a bit to see if just running him for
Enchant
would be worthwhile.

I'm about to drop Pride on my Act 2 Might Merc and go ham. Still working on the Runes / base for that tho!

@Queegon any thoughts on Pride base? Does it really matter? The damage on the merc isn't really worthwhile if it's running Pride anyway, right?
I had Pride on my merc for my physical bowa, I hated it, it does 0 damage, merc died constantly.
Is Grief not a good option too? Mega damage and ITD for mobs, -target defense for bosses.
You can even put it on a
Phase Blade
, and allow a shield since they fixed druid blocking right?
Disclaimer, I did a ton of Fury/elemental druids so I almost always did that for the shield, never did a pure Fury.
Fellstar wrote: 6 months ago
@Queegon any thoughts on Pride base? Does it really matter? The damage on the merc isn't really worthwhile if it's running Pride anyway, right?
Doesn't matter all that much with the caveat that merc will be dealing crappy damage, so leeching will be low. With that in mind, scrap the idea of
Andariel's Visage
and give them
Vampire Gaze
. Either of Fortitude/
Shaftstop
for armor is fine.

Either of these is perfect at 0% IAS:
Great Poleaxe
Mancatcher
Giant Thresher
Stygian Pike
Ghost Spear

Ghost Spear
and
Stygian Pike
are super cheap bases to get while being exactly the same as
Great Poleaxe
in damage (just with different spread) and on par with
Mancatcher
and the much more expensive
Giant Thresher
(different speeds but same DPS overall).
Stygian Pike
has an extra benefit of always getting 4 sockets from
Larzuk
, so it's easy to get a superior base on an otherwise no-ED Pride.
My personal favorite for that reason.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP
or.houster wrote: 6 months ago
I had Pride on my merc for my physical bowa, I hated it, it does 0 damage, merc died constantly.
Is Grief not a good option too? Mega damage and ITD for mobs, -target defense for bosses.
You can even put it on a
Phase Blade
, and allow a shield since they fixed druid blocking right?
Disclaimer, I did a ton of Fury/elemental druids so I almost always did that for the shield, never did a pure Fury.
For 1h weapon, yes, I think Grief does the higher damage in general.

But if you can/want to use a 2h weapon, you get the higher damage using an ethereal weapon with a huge enhanced damage.

And for the Druid l, some 2h weapons (
Axe
, Maces and Polearm) are faster than other weapons (even 1h). That's why most Fury Druid guides recommend a 2h weapon instead of 1h weapon + shield.

About Pride merc, in the case o Fury (and other melee builds), I think the merc will not die too easy, because you will be in the front taking most of the hits... (and also the Druid has a lot o summons too)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...