Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
13 replies   4163 views

Act 5 merc (Unbending Will + Lawbringer): Does Taunt may override Decrepify? (and the opposite?)

No data yet

Description

If I have and Act 5 merc with Unbending Will + Lawbringer

How does
Taunt
and
Decrepify
interact?
(The last one stays? One of them have priority - please be
Decrepify
?

Can be used to make Runewords:

If I have and Act 5 merc with Unbending Will + Lawbringer

How does
Taunt
and
Decrepify
interact?
(The last one stays? One of them have priority - please be
Decrepify
?

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
You don't even need Unbending Will to make yourself hate your merc.
Frenzy
mercs bring
Taunt
by default. And said
Taunt
will overwrite whatever curse you may currently have on the target.

Having even more
Taunt
via Unbending Will just makes it even worse/more annoying.

There is no priority other than "whatever hits last wins" so whatever was your latest proc (or cast from the merc's own
Taunt
) will be active until something else procs/is cast that overwrites it.

On the plus side,
Taunt
is single target. So at least you keep decrep on the mobs that your merc isn't going after but that are close enough to still get hit by the decrep procs.
OP
🤣🤭 (Forget he has
Taunt
by itself... crap...)

Thanks for clarifying the interaction.

I use the combination Lawbringer + Hustle.
The merc procs
Decrepify
so often that the self cast
Taunt
really isnt an issue.
My understanding was that an A5 merc can only wield one handed swords, which limits you to a
Phase Blade
for Unbending Will. Given the low base damage compared with something like a
Colossus Sword
, you'll be missing out on most of the enhanced damage benefit from the runeword.

So misunderstood, but what's a world without Enigma?
OP
I was aware of that :(
But what I was thinking is that Unbending Will is considerable cheaper than other runeword options and I already had a 6S
Phase Blade
and the runes...
(also it has Life Leach - so I'm not forced to use an item with it on Body or Head)

Anyway... The
Taunt
interaction, plus the fact that I need to equip +DEX itens form merc to use a
Phase Blade
, made go another away :-P

fredkid wrote: 6 months ago
I was aware of that :(
But what I was thinking is that Unbending Will is considerable cheaper than other runeword options and I already had a 6S
Phase Blade
and the runes...
(also it has Life Leach - so I'm not forced to use an item with it on Body or Head)

Anyway... The
Taunt
interaction, plus the fact that I need to equip +DEX itens form merc to use a
Phase Blade
, made go another away :-P
Can always just got with a second Lawbringer! Double the chance to
Decrepify
, and I think Sanctuary stacks? Depends what areas you're running but I've been using it myself for a bit now.

So misunderstood, but what's a world without Enigma?
OP
It was the end goal ;) but for now I could make only one Lawbringer ... so I needed to think something for the other weapon... for now I will just get the higher damage 1h sword I had...

They changed Dream to the Shock aura stack some patches ago. Don't know if the same thing happen for all items (but the
Decrepify
proc doubles for sure ;-) )

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
It was the end goal ;) but for now I could make only one Lawbringer ... so I needed to think something for the other weapon... for now I will just get the higher damage 1h sword I had...

They changed Dream to the Shock aura stack some patches ago. Don't know if the same thing happen for all items (but the
Decrepify
Not sure what change you're referring to for Dream (item aura stacking isn't new) but curses don't behave like that. They won't just double up in terms of "curse applied twice = twice as effective!". What will double up though is the proc chances since you can then trigger it on either weapon swing. So once triggered, it is the same as with one but you do get more uptime to to more frequent triggering. Whether that makes a 2nd Lawbringer worth it..I would challenge.

TheDoo 229

Europe PC
It's still a decent combo for leveling. And yes, they overwrite!

For the end gear I may suggest, from my own personal experience (that is also quite budget friendly), something like
Djinn Slayer
Headstriker
combo or even 2
Headstriker
is a very, very nice raw dmg output. If you are a specific elemental dmg dealer then you might want to consider something like Crescent Moon with Djinn or
Lightsabre
, [if you can find yourself]
Azurewrath
(cold + magic) or even
Bloodmoon
(for big LL boost).
For a long time I was using Djinn +
Frostwind
even (for that juicy fire + cold combo) and I have to say it's surprisingly good, even great (ofc this is on players 1 but still).

On the other hand, the true end gear most people use for
Frenzy
baba is a Grief + Last Wish combo.

P.S. I founded out that for the pure raw physical dmg output, apparently is the best to have 2 ethereal
Headstriker
. Now that being said, from all the drops in D2R I probably got about 15 Headstrikers and never an ethereal one.

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
OP
Schnorki wrote: 6 months ago

Decrepify
Not sure what change you're referring to for Dream (item aura stacking isn't new) but curses don't behave like that. They won't just double up in terms of "curse applied twice = twice as effective!". What will double up though is the proc chances since you can then trigger it on either weapon swing. So once triggered, it is the same as with one but you do get more uptime to to more frequent triggering. Whether that makes a 2nd Lawbringer worth it..I would challenge.
I didn't mean that aura stack is new, I meaned that its not a thing that existed since the start of the game (https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Dream_Rune_Word - says it starts in patch 1.14D), so I don't discard the chance that they didn't apply this change to all cases...

About "
Decrepify
proc doubles", I meaned what you explaned, two Lawbringer will make you feel like "~40% Chance To Cast
Decrepify
On Striking" 👊

OP
TheDoo wrote: 6 months ago
It's still a decent combo for leveling. And yes, they overwrite!

For the end gear I may suggest, from my own personal experience (that is also quite budget friendly), something like
Djinn Slayer
Headstriker
combo or even 2
Headstriker
is a very, very nice raw dmg output. If you are a specific elemental dmg dealer then you might want to consider something like Crescent Moon with Djinn or
Lightsabre
, [if you can find yourself]
Azurewrath
(cold + magic) or even
Bloodmoon
(for big LL boost).
For a long time I was using Djinn +
Frostwind
even (for that juicy fire + cold combo) and I have to say it's surprisingly good, even great (ofc this is on players 1 but still).

On the other hand, the true end gear most people use for
Frenzy
baba is a Grief + Last Wish combo.

P.S. I founded out that for the pure raw physical dmg output, apparently is the best to have 2 ethereal
Headstriker
. Now that being said, from all the drops in D2R I probably got about 15 Headstrikers and never an ethereal one.
I will try Lawbringer +
Frostwind
for now.
(already have a
Frostwind
)

Last Wish is for billionaries only 🧐😜

I don't want to invest much on the second weapon for now... To inve$t in something, seems to be a better option get a
The Reaper's Toll
and go with the Act2 Mercenary 🤔

Aura stacking works like this since auras from runewords became a thing

(That behaviour of Dream, as "as of patch 1.14d ...." was already present when Dream was released back in ...

1.10?

It was one of the first ladder only runewords right?)

There was a "minor" aura stacking bug with A3 Mercs though. Were some Strange times when everyone was running around with a3 Mercs.

But that was a bit overpowered and got then fixed by blizz

Edit:

For clarification: the bug was probably universal for all Mercs, not only a3 ones. It was that those were the ones that were most abused for that.

I don't know for sure how the bug manifested because I haven't played much at that time. But I think it boiled down to giving the Merc 2 dreams and then remove and reequip one of those a few times. The aura didn't reset and the merc then had a, let's say, LVL 120
Holy Shock
aura

This is my Zealer. There aren't many like him and this one is mine.
My Zealer is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I must master my life.
Without me, my Zealer is useless. Without my Zealer, i am useless.

TheDoo 229

Europe PC
Flippy wrote: 6 months ago
I don't know for sure how the bug manifested because I haven't played much at that time. But I think it boiled down to giving the Merc 2 dreams and then remove and reequip one of those a few times. The aura didn't reset and the merc then had a, let's say, LVL 120
Holy Shock
aura
I can confirm that this (or rather similar) bug still exists but only when you do a reset via
Akara
or Token. If you have an aura or a skill that adds something on top of your damage and you reset, and then you unequip or not use the said skill and you go out of town things magically stack (for example you have a Dream shield and after reset you unequip and switch to Dragon). You can also visually see both auras as they are both still active even tho you actually have only 1 of those. Now if I properly saw (never really invest time to test more on this matter) it goes off even when you change Act (aka tele to other act from wps) not maps/areas tho (I think or maybe if you use wps in general? dunno). I definitely remember this aura bug being there for hours sometimes... It ofc resets back to normal when you exit game (not the whole game, just save & quit and remaking game does the trick). Don't know about the Merc's bug tho.

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation