Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Th3ory 420

Paladin Americas PC
Teebling wrote: 1 year ago
Th3ory wrote: 1 year ago
pyropy wrote: 1 year ago
Underwhelming.
My thoughts exactly. My video just went live - I gave a very matter of fact assessment without the fluff and filler. Many are overblowing the NHD changes as "Massive" adjustments.
Th3ory's 2.7 summary video can be found below btw guys, 6 minutes of condensed insights/commentary definitely worth a watch if you're catching up on the patch notes:

Thanks Teebs! Definitely wanted to keep this short and sweet; right to the point.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
pyropy wrote: 1 year ago
Underwhelming.
My thoughts exactly. My video just went live - I gave a very matter of fact assessment without the fluff and filler. Many are overblowing the NHD changes as "Massive" adjustments.
The impact of the change actually is quite noticeable (based on the pug runs I did since). Even when you're just running group stuff and not on one of the like 2 chars directly benefiting from it by themselves.

Aaaanyways...did you or one of your techie buddies look at what the NHD change really does across the board?

Based on the wording in the notes..
Blizzard wrote:
The Next Hit Delay system now only applies to missiles created by casting the same skill.
.. there is some room for interpretation:

- If player A and player B both cast
Nova
within <4 frames of one another, player A will block player B because
Nova
=
Nova
= same skill but if player A cast
Nova
and player B cast
Frost Nova
, both would hit as
Nova
!=
Frost Nova
= not same skill
- If player A and player B both cast
Nova
within <4 frames of one another, both will hit as player A cast != player B cast = not counted as the same skill despite being different players using what is ultimately the same skill (i.e. it actually looks at "same skill by same player", not "same skill").
- If player A casts
Tornado
and casts another
Tornado
within the NHD, both will hit as they are different casts of the same skill (i.e. it actually looks at "same cast of the same skill by the same player", not just "same skill" or "same skill by same player").

And so on and so forth.. a few possible interpretations of that from skill over skill by lvl to player, cast or even missile within cast and then some, inherently then ranging from "NHD becomes rather lenient and hardly noticeable" to "NHD still has noticeable impact in a number of scenarios".

If you consider the follow-up clarification for sin charges specifically talking about "different cast of a skill", I dare say the most intuitive interpretation overall would be "NHD only affects missiles created within the same cast of the same skill by the same unit".

If true, you would expect 0 NHD-blocking across players in a group environment (yay for that!) which seems to be supported with my experiences last night (see above). You would further expect very few instances of NHD actually still doing anything in solo play as well since only very few abilities are able to trigger multiple hits quick enough within a single cast to ever hit their NHD.
One of those however..is
Strafe
. And that one kinda is why I'm asking if you've done any true controlled testing so far. Based on the presumed-correct interpretation above,
Strafe
would still be affected by NHD if you're looking at single-target use because the mid-volley
Arrows
very easily drop down to 3 or even 2 frame intervals at a 4 frame NHD. As a result, every other arrow should be unable to actually hit, even post-patch. And yet, I feel like I've seen back to back mid-volley hits repeatedly last night which would imply that it isn't just "per cast" but actually "per missile", taking the possible NHD impact down to only extremely few true Edge cases of the same projectile getting more than 1 hit in somehow (something like
Twister
hitting a target which is then immediately knocked back by something else along the same path and gets hit again by the same
Twister
right away [the 2nd hit would then be blocked by NHD]).

Now, assuming I actually saw that correctly, strafezons just got a massive buff vs. bosses which you wouldn't necessarily expect from reading the notes.
The problem is..that's at best highly anecdotal evidence from random half-asleep observations while just messing around at 3am. So neither controlled testing nor otherwise something I'd want to really rely on. :)
So back in my original NHD video - I showcased Warren's Essay on NHD and in that, someone named Childe is the one who actually proposed moving from Global_NHD to Skill Function_Missle_NHD. This did get surfaced to Blizzard so it is likely how they decided to move forward this way.

And yes...this is 100% per Missle now see the post below here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... say/159394

So instead of "Global_NHD" it is "FireBolt_NHD"; easy way to understand it.

While yes there are buffs, I have to admit that this is a significant OVERREACTION. This is not a massive change at the end of the day. Did it have balancing effects - yes it did. But my hunch here, is that you are not going to necessarily see significant modifications (noticeable) especially in P8 games where you are already PLOWING through areas.

Is it a cool modification - of course it is, but this is more about group gameplay vs. SOLO in my honest assessment right now without having tested this heavily without a PTR. You somewhat nailed it with the
Strafe
Example from a solo play vs. a Group clear standpoint.

Schnorki 3183Moderator

PC
And yes...this is 100% per Missle now see the post below here: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... say/159394
Actually, that post claims "Instead, it is (confirmed to be) per skill execution" which would be quite different from "per missile". Especially for something like
Strafe

Your average
Strafe
zon will have 8
Arrows
single-target, at 5/4 - 3/2 -7/6 frames respectively for
Arrows
1 - 2 to 7 - 8.
Arrows
1 and 8 are fine either way. 2 through 7 will hit the 4-frame NHD.
So "per skill execution" = 3 of the 6 mid-
Arrows
are lost as they are in the same execution or 5 possible hits total per volley.
While "per missile" = all 6 mid-
Arrows
can hit since they are individual missiles albeit within the same execution. That's 8 possible hits total per volley or a 60% single-target dps increase which is quite a massive difference.

Either way, guess I'll do my own testing still to confirm after all. :)

Edit:
Just for the record, seems to indeed be per execution, not per missile. Including for
Strafe
Multi is easy enough to test since "per missile" would actually allow you to just shotgun stuff at melee range. No such thing. Sadly..would be kinda fun (and OP as hell).
Strafe
, removing all
Pierce
, should have 3 or more
Arrows
simply passing through per 8-arrow volley as 3 get blocked by NHD (see above) and further
Arrows
may pass by missing. After spending way longer than I really wanted to, strafing away at P8 Stone skinned/PI mobs, I dare say I can comfortably and after statistically relevant amounts, claim that I've sent out more than enough
Arrows
to where I should've seen more than just a handful of 0, 1 or 2-passing volleys if it were indeed per missile for
Strafe
. But alas, the minimum observed per volley remains at 3. So per execution it is and hence no Stealth buff to strafezons for solo-play. Shame, seeing how single-target is the one thing they still kinda fail too much at.

Th3ory 420

Paladin Americas PC
Schnorki wrote: 11 months ago
Actually, that post claims "Instead, it is (confirmed to be) per skill execution" which would be quite different from "per missile". Especially for something like
Strafe

Your average
Strafe
zon will have 8
Arrows
single-target, at 5/4 - 3/2 -7/6 frames respectively for
Arrows
1 - 2 to 7 - 8.
Arrows
1 and 8 are fine either way. 2 through 7 will hit the 4-frame NHD.
So "per skill execution" = 3 of the 6 mid-
Arrows
are lost as they are in the same execution or 5 possible hits total per volley.
While "per missile" = all 6 mid-
Arrows
can hit since they are individual missiles albeit within the same execution. That's 8 possible hits total per volley or a 60% single-target dps increase which is quite a massive difference.

Either way, guess I'll do my own testing still to confirm after all. Eventually. :)
Yes that is correct. I just didn't state it correctly - It is Skill Execution_Missile_NHD - as that specific skill function has a missile type. In my video I say "Skill Function & missile modification" and I show it on screen as Missile but don't want to
Confuse
anyone :)

I'll be more careful in the response to not
Confuse
. But yeah it is pretty much confirmed from some testing that all missiles created by that skill execution share the NHD.

Schnorki 3183Moderator

PC
Th3ory wrote: 11 months ago
... But yeah it is pretty much confirmed from some testing that all missiles created by that skill execution share the NHD.
Aye, just re-confirmed that as well (see edit in post above). Too bad rly. :)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation