Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
10 replies   2940 views

what happens with resolution scaling setting/graphics?

No data yet

Description

I'm at 100, sharpness at 100 too,
but if i go above 100 I get major slowdowns.

anyone with a stronger computer can testify what's this all about?

I'm getting Vram usage like crazy when i raise the bar there...

Can be used to make Runewords:

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.

jbmc 89

Barbarian Americas PC
All I can say is that when I was using an i7 7700k, geforce, 1060 6gb, 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4 ram @ 2400mhz that rig ran D2R buttery smooth. Consistent 144 fps (capped fps @144 in NVCP to match monitor refresh)

Recently got a hold of a i5 12400, geforce rtx 3060 12GB, 16gb (2x8gb) ddr5 ram @ 4800mhz, but D2R runs worse, it's very choppy, fps is not consistent and in areas it gets worse. But all my issues with D2R go away when I turn DLSS on. : /

Its only D2R. All other games are fine for me.

| All trades negotiable | NA Time Zone GMT -5 hours | If I don't reply within an hour I'm probably sleeping |
OP

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
but were you using "resolution scaling to max"?
if the bar of Vram goes too high(red) it's an indication for too much demand of resources

jbmc 89

Barbarian Americas PC
rikus wrote: 1 year ago
but were you using "resolution scaling to max"?
if the bar of Vram goes too high(red) it's an indication for too much demand of resources
when I crank resolution scale to 200% my fps tanks from 144 to 55 but for me vram only goes up by like 500mb. From 5.3gb to just over 5.8gb, I can def tell the card is working a lot harder though, the fans really ramp up.

| All trades negotiable | NA Time Zone GMT -5 hours | If I don't reply within an hour I'm probably sleeping |
OP

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
i see.
i don't understand what this function does...

Ravoc 123

PC
jbmc wrote: 1 year ago
when I crank resolution scale to 200% my fps tanks from 144 to 55 but for me vram only goes up by like 500mb. From 5.3gb to just over 5.8gb, I can def tell the card is working a lot harder though, the fans really ramp up.
At that vram usage you probably capped out what the game can throw at you. Recent generations of cards have an abundance of vram anyway so it's a non-issue.

Not sure why you'd want to bring resolution scaling above 100% though. It's mostly useful to downscale rendering loads while maintaining higher native screen resolutions for UI and text.

jbmc 89

Barbarian Americas PC
Ravoc wrote: 1 year ago
jbmc wrote: 1 year ago
At that vram usage you probably capped out what the game can throw at you. Recent generations of cards have an abundance of vram anyway so it's a non-issue.

Not sure why you'd want to bring resolution scaling above 100% though. It's mostly useful to downscale rendering loads while maintaining higher native screen resolutions for UI and text.
I literally never play at over 100% res scaling. OP was asking me what happens to my card if I increase res scaling.

jbmc 89

Barbarian Americas PC
i see.
i don't understand what this function does...
It just upscales or downscales your resolution. 100 being normal (whatever you have your resolution set to). Going below 100 is downscaling going above 100 is upscaling.
People mostly use it to downscale to gain performance when playing games that their rigs cant exactly handle. They are looking for a decent compromise between quality and performance.

Example: 4k gaming downscaled to 83% runs the game at 3200x1800. At 1440p 83% downscale is around 2133x1200. on 1080p displays pixel density is already pretty low, so you would want to avoid downscaling on them if you can. 1080p @ 83% is playing at 1600x900.
Upscaling 1080p by setting the scaling to 177% / 178% is like running at 1440p (its not an exact res match as 2560 x 1440 pixels is 177.78% upscale)

OP

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
but how can you upscale something that is beyond your resolution?

resolution scaling is putting your resolution higher than it is displayed.
this is why it slows down, because you are rendering the game in up to 4k resolution, but it is displayed in 1080p on your screen.
the slow down happens because your graphics card has to work very hard to render the graphics and will slow down, heat up and draw prolly max power.
what you do is putting your card under very much stress and because it cannot work that much load it will slow down.

OP

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
hehe that much is obvious.
also my screen is 4k, so you're saying that above 100 precent will make the resolution go higher than the card is able to?
meaning 6400X4000 or something like that?

i wonder if anyone has a rig that can put this bar to the max.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...