Um
and
Ist
are the best! (0%)
No votes
Total votes: 42
Total votes: 42

Description

Hey y’all, this is again a complex topic, but d2r seems to be getting a surge of new players so I wanted to offer some advice, especially to those offline, but also open it up to online players (I remember what it was like living with an ‘economy’).

So to start I think we can all agree ‘low runes’ are anything from
El
to
Dol
(
Eld
Tir
Nef
Eth
Ith
Tal
Ral
Thul
Amn
Sol
Shael
). Some people make the distinction of what can drop from normal or nightmare countess, but come on… who plays d2r for the mid-game?! (Sorry speed runners, but for everyone else we just suffer through late normal and early nightmare to get access to good gear!).

Some define low runes going up to
Lem
because
Pul
runes are the first to only need 2 to cube up to the next level. I think this is a good distinction.

However, I personally collect runes starting at
Lum
for 3 reasons: lums and higher start to get rare (
Io
and below can usually be found consistently), they start to be important for higher level rune words, and cubing lesser runes starts to get tedious (I’ve cubed up from lums to ists fairly regularly, a gem mule is needed!).

Anyways, “mid runes” start at
Pul
, and go to…
Gul
because they can drop from
The Hellforge
quest? And anything higher than
Gul
is a “high rune”? I would argue not (depending on the situation).

So I think it’s important here to define your play style before defining what a “high rune” is:
-online non-ladder I’d say there’s an argument for
Ber
and higher to be high runes (your not relying on drops, but trading right? And there’s 10x the population in non ladder compared to ladder)
-online ladder I’d say there’s 2 options, first half of the ladder (6 weeks),
Vex
and up are high runes, after that probably
Ber
and up.
-offline: sorry guys but
Sur
and up are high runes offline, up to
Lo
takes a number of hours of lk, trav or cow runs, while
Sur
and higher are quite rare… days of play before you should expect a drop.
-high level traders / pvp’ers: you guys have your own community, I don’t even think high runes even count as currency for you (if you have more than 5 Bers to spend on a single trade you’re a high roller - congrats)

Does this make sense? A “high rune” has always been subjective to me, and now as I’m offline it’s much harder to define that compared to online players

Let us know what you think!
Description by Nate

Can be used to make Runewords:

Nate 537

Switch
Hey y’all, this is again a complex topic, but d2r seems to be getting a surge of new players so I wanted to offer some advice, especially to those offline, but also open it up to online players (I remember what it was like living with an ‘economy’).

So to start I think we can all agree ‘low runes’ are anything from
El
to
Dol
(
Eld
Tir
Nef
Eth
Ith
Tal
Ral
Thul
Amn
Sol
Shael
). Some people make the distinction of what can drop from normal or nightmare countess, but come on… who plays d2r for the mid-game?! (Sorry speed runners, but for everyone else we just suffer through late normal and early nightmare to get access to good gear!).

Some define low runes going up to
Lem
because
Pul
runes are the first to only need 2 to cube up to the next level. I think this is a good distinction.

However, I personally collect runes starting at
Lum
for 3 reasons: lums and higher start to get rare (
Io
and below can usually be found consistently), they start to be important for higher level rune words, and cubing lesser runes starts to get tedious (I’ve cubed up from lums to ists fairly regularly, a gem mule is needed!).

Anyways, “mid runes” start at
Pul
, and go to…
Gul
because they can drop from
The Hellforge
quest? And anything higher than
Gul
is a “high rune”? I would argue not (depending on the situation).

So I think it’s important here to define your play style before defining what a “high rune” is:
-online non-ladder I’d say there’s an argument for
Ber
and higher to be high runes (your not relying on drops, but trading right? And there’s 10x the population in non ladder compared to ladder)
-online ladder I’d say there’s 2 options, first half of the ladder (6 weeks),
Vex
and up are high runes, after that probably
Ber
and up.
-offline: sorry guys but
Sur
and up are high runes offline, up to
Lo
takes a number of hours of lk, trav or cow runs, while
Sur
and higher are quite rare… days of play before you should expect a drop.
-high level traders / pvp’ers: you guys have your own community, I don’t even think high runes even count as currency for you (if you have more than 5 Bers to spend on a single trade you’re a high roller - congrats)

Does this make sense? A “high rune” has always been subjective to me, and now as I’m offline it’s much harder to define that compared to online players

Let us know what you think!
OP

Nate 537

Switch
Sry there was 1
Ist
and higher and 1
Vex
and higher but I had to add
Sur
and higher. So I’ll add those up at the end
I think the jump from
Vex
to
Sur
is too much. I count HR starting around
Ohm
. Something you have to pay for that is required for staple gear (such as CtA).
Ohm
and
Lo
are necessary to get off the ground and into real endgame territory.

And I would answer that way for all play modes. But that's just me.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.

Schnorki 3195Moderator

PC
It is a bit of an arbitrary call and the question really is "what are you classifying them for?".

Traditionally, a high rune has technically been defined as
Vex
or higher, based on the fact that they are significantly harder to obtain than the ones below that cutoff. Or more accurately, "they required massive random luck while farming". This is from back in the day where everyone and their mom kept rushing for forge to get runes up to
Gul
relatively easily but beyond that, you were stuck as you couldn't cube them up yet. And even after the cubing for higher runes was introduced, it was a ladder only thing. That did give you a very clear cutoff in terms of "common vs. rare" but thanks to rampant cubing of everything everywhere nowadays, that really doesn't hold up as much anymore.

The question is hence what the purpose of the classification is, the answer to which is probably different for everyone.

"only runes higher than XYZ are worth picking up" will differ (massively) depending on your general level of Wealth. Some start at
El
, some at
Lum
, some don't bother below
Ist
, some (like me) don't even have item labels showing in pug games anymore.

"i'm looking to sell this for X high runes" is something that pops up surprisingly often in trades but honestly makes no sense today as it puts everything past the cutoff on even Ground. If you're asking for 4 high runes and say "high runes start at
Ohm
!" only to then decline an offer of 2
Ber
and pick 4
Ohm
instead because "4 HR > 2 HR", you're shooting yourself in the foot in terms of actual value, solely because of some completely unfounded, arbitrary grouping of runes (fun fact: that's an actual, real-world example I've seen happen).

"only runes XYZ are worth keeping/muling" is basically the same as picking them up.

"anything below XYZ will be cubed up" pretty much follows the same lines as well.

Other than the original definition which had a very clear cut-off in terms of difficulty to obtain, it all is now extremely subjective and I would argue to the largest extent quite pointless.

The only thing I can still see as an argument (and kinda use myself) is "
Ist
or higher" because if you're looking to keep a stash tab full of varied trading runes and assign 1 row/column each to the top runes, you get the top 10 which has you starting at
Ist
. But even that is based on some very arbitrary and subjective decisions.

Necrarch 1614Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Agreed, very depending on people.

I for one split in 4 groups :

1 -
El
-
Shael
: low - useful for most but little value - but in bulk can serve (Spirit /Insight packs, crafting...)
* -
Dol
- can go above or below
2 -
Hel
-
Fal
: low-mid - these have no real value but are here there and more rare than group 1.
Hel
IS useful though.
* -
Lem
- can go above and below
3 -
Pul
-
Ist
: mid - start of values, very useful for trading.
* -
Gul
- can go above or below
4 -
Vex
+ : high.

I think this is more practical due to the weird situation of
Dol
-
Fal
which are the least useful runes (except
Hel
) but much more rare than until
Shael
And the "Edge" runes
Dol
/
Lem
/
Gul
are really "soft" edges that can go either way depending on people.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
To me, high runes are
Ohm
+

Zebot 70

Paladin Americas PC
To me, low, high, or mid runes are useless terms. There are runes I pick up, and others I don’t. Their relative values are based on rune word utility and the trade market. Would never trade asking for X high runes. Rather we are specific in what we desire. I want 2
Ber
, 1
Jah
, 2
Lo
, etc.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...