Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   1282 views

Description

My main on ladder is a bliz sorc, which obviously works great for p1 and p2 farming with sunder. My goal is to make Flickering Flame and respec to fire sorc (
Meteor
Fireball
) eventually. For those of you playing fire sorc with sunder, how much -fire res gear do you need to farm everywhere as easily as a bliz sorc (or nearly so) on p1 and 2?

Looking at max roll dps comparisons, it looks like flickering, 1 facet, and a mid eschutas should get me close (in addition to basic hell gear like Spirit, skullders, 2 skill ammy) but I’m curious what people’s experience has been. I’d like to avoid having to get Infinity or Phoenix or a bunch of facets if possible.
Description by SlainByGloam

Can be used to make Runewords:

My main on ladder is a bliz sorc, which obviously works great for p1 and p2 farming with sunder. My goal is to make Flickering Flame and respec to fire sorc (
Meteor
Fireball
) eventually. For those of you playing fire sorc with sunder, how much -fire res gear do you need to farm everywhere as easily as a bliz sorc (or nearly so) on p1 and 2?

Looking at max roll dps comparisons, it looks like flickering, 1 facet, and a mid eschutas should get me close (in addition to basic hell gear like Spirit, skullders, 2 skill ammy) but I’m curious what people’s experience has been. I’d like to avoid having to get Infinity or Phoenix or a bunch of facets if possible.
while I have never used it with a sunder, it is also worth noting that the tals orb gives - fire resist as well with 3 pieces. That + Flickering Flame made every non-fire immune pretty easy to take care of, though cows were a little slow. This was a
Hydra
/
Frozen Orb
sorc, so
Fireball
/
Meteor
would probably clear cows faster
I have seen a fire sorc blasting through p8
Secret Cow Level
but they had Infinity on. I think you're still going to need a good amount of -fire res in your gear which is something Infinity does on top of breaking immunes. Faceted
Ormus' Robes
with the proper skill and faceted eschutas are probably needed. Or some kind of partial Tal Rasha's Wrappings set like mentioned above.

P.S. Your name is OP. Made me chuckle.

ShadowHeart 1794Moderator

Europe PC
I've had a sorc with basically full fire build (
Fireball
+
Meteor
, not
Hydra
) for a while now on ladder with Sunder, Flickering Flame and
Eschuta's Temper
(socketed with a -5/5 fire facet), and it has always felt a bit slow to kill some mobs that were originally Fire Immune, like for example the Blood Clan in
The Forgotten Tower
(other enemies haven't been an issue at all). It wasn't until I got my Phoenix that it actually felt like the (sundered) Fire Immunes were also melting. Phoenix is better than Infinity for you vs mobs that were originally Fire Immune, and it will make a bigger difference to your overall damage than Spirit due to the lowering of resistance, even if the mob starts at 0%. I don't have an Infinity so I'm not sure if that still stands (Phoenix vs Spirit) if I had one.

Either way, I've mostly been using her to farm keys, so there are a lot of things I haven't actually done a lot of. I did run a full grush once before I had the Phoenix, it was fine except for
Chaos Sanctuary
which was a massive pain. Would probably haven been easier with Infinity and/or Phoenix.

@Schnorki probably has some good input (more valuable than mine anyway), as he's even done ubers on his fire sorc as far as I know ;) (but he runs a different spec than I do, with ES, I believe, I've gone fully into fire)

EDIT: I'll just add that I've basically just been "winging it", not too much thought or planning going into it except what skills I want and certain
Key
pieces of equipment, obviously.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
Well, ES doesn't prevent full fire offensively. :)

Comparing fire and blizz clear speed is a bit iffy as they work quite differently. Blizz obviously ramps up extremely fast but then hits a hard limit due to the cast delay.

Fire on the other hand ramps up quite slow (in terms of gear) but basically has no hard limit, depending on how you play it. Fire without a sunder is just..well, dumb. Fire immunes are all over the place in this game. Similarly, fire with a sunder and no other -res is also still fairly painful as immunes are still just stupid to deal with. If you get a solid amount of +skill though, it starts shining at around -10 to -15 additional res. So that's either a flickering,
Tal
's bonus, 2-3 solid facets or similar.

Do note that fire scales extremely well with +skill, to the point where dropping +skill for more -res (even if it is a solid amount) may very well start lowering your avg damage output significantly. That won't affect you until you get top-end gear but when you run around with an Infinity on your merc, solid +skill and say -40ish or higher -res on your gear, sacrificing skill for -res very quickly becomes too big of a trade-off, even against previous immunes. That's why I personally for example don't (and will never) use Phoenix on my fire sorc (did the math and the actual play-testing to back up that statement).

Other than the Infinity, obviously, fire also has the advantage of being comparatively cheap to gear up to full BiS.

Regardless of your gear however, the clear speed still very much depends on your playstyle. If you shred stuff with fireballs, you can clear maps extremely fast (given the right gear of course). If you instead focus more on the
Meteor
you noted, you may have more fun but you will run into the same clear speed problem blizzard has because you're again looking at limited aoe, combined with a cast delay (and in this case even a dmg delay on top of that). And generally speaking (you already noted you won't use them), hydras for example aren't exactly meant for aoe clearing. They still clear entire screens quite fast when you place them correctly but since you have a 6-cast ramp-up time, it does slow you down. At the same time, they are just insanely strong against bosses. Firewall and whatnot do still have their valid uses as well, albeit nowhere near the olden pre-fix days.

All that having been said..I went with full fire from day 1 this season, as my only ladder char and am not regretting that decision in the least. As noted above, the ramp-up was a bit slower until you get 10-15 -res but it still works well enough. And after that, combined with a sunder, it becomes smooth sailing across the board. General farming,
Key
farming, dclone hunting, ubers..she does it all and she does it (VERY) well.
Blizzard +
Frozen Orb
has better clear speed than any fire build unless you're only killing the elites and champions, in which case it's probably gonna be tied in P1/P2/P3.

I played a
Fireball
/
Meteor
/
Frozen Orb
in previous ladders before I got my Infinity and respecced lightning/
Chain Lightning
Fireball
suffers from a very limited AoE plus you have to directly hit your target, while
Meteor
has a terribly long delay.

Lightning has the best clear speed at least in low player counts and in areas with few lightning immunes. Lightning immune monsters you still kill- with Sunder charms or with Infinity- but they don't die as fast to your
Chain Lightning
. Something I never tried was directly wielding Infinity to take advantage of its -45 to -55 enemy lightning res, which would greatly increase the damage against broken immunes, but that has its own set of disadvantages.

Overall, I think you ought to try the best, in my opinion, cold build,
Frozen Orb
+ Blizzard. For unkown reasons, it is underplayed. When I got high enough level to swap from Blizzard to Blizzard +
Frozen Orb
this ladder, the difference was incredible. More total dps output than just blizzard alone, plus great area coverage. You only have to
Sacrifice
about 15% of your Blizzard damage to get a fully synergized, maxed-out
Frozen Orb
. Maybe it just hasn't sunk into people's heads that the D2R dev team removed the shared casting delays between Blizzard and
Frozen Orb
?

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation