Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
42 replies   20673 views

Updated 2.5 Patch Notes - Sunder Charms Nerfed (except for cold sorcs)

No data yet

Description

https://news.blizzard.com/en-gb/diablo2 ... 5-now-live
Blizzard wrote:
Sundering Charms
Conviction
and
Lower Resist
effectiveness will be 1/5 effective even after a Sundering Charm's applied effects. (This change will go into effect on October 6 once Ladder Season Two begins).

Developer’s Note: We have heard much of the community's thoughts on how the new Sunder Charms work with the sorceresses
Cold Mastery
ability. Looking at the percentage of monsters that are cold immune, the trade-offs of having to gain and equip a new grand charm, and re-checking our damage output, we feel the current behavior of
Cold Mastery
is not significantly more powerful than many of the other abilities affected by Sunder and does not need to change at this time.
Hmm, a step in the right direction I think but
Cold Mastery
should be penalized too. They already have tons of edges over other classes, I don't think they need more.
Description by DarkMaster

Can be used to make Runewords:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-gb/diablo2 ... 5-now-live
Blizzard wrote:
Sundering Charms
Conviction
and
Lower Resist
effectiveness will be 1/5 effective even after a Sundering Charm's applied effects. (This change will go into effect on October 6 once Ladder Season Two begins).

Developer’s Note: We have heard much of the community's thoughts on how the new Sunder Charms work with the sorceresses
Cold Mastery
ability. Looking at the percentage of monsters that are cold immune, the trade-offs of having to gain and equip a new grand charm, and re-checking our damage output, we feel the current behavior of
Cold Mastery
is not significantly more powerful than many of the other abilities affected by Sunder and does not need to change at this time.
Hmm, a step in the right direction I think but
Cold Mastery
should be penalized too. They already have tons of edges over other classes, I don't think they need more.
True, but I'm sad, that the auradins are dead now, before they even lived..

PC | Europe | Non-Ladder and Ladder | Softcore
Ganonvillage wrote: 1 year ago
Why? Dreamers are great. They don't even need that charm.

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.
On the other hand, add me after you bid ;)

Tetra 178

Paladin Europe PC
3 days before ladder 2 and the back and forth about the new sundering charms and now this seems to me that the developpers dont know what they are doing.

On one hand they introduce something to allow every classes to deal a bit of damage to would-be immune monsters...
On the other hand, they modifying old game mechanic* to nerf the most powerful gear to deal real damage at the end game.

And yet they dont nerf the Sorceres'
Cold Mastery
?
Are they trying a create a new "Next Ladder" specialy optimised build once again like the Fohdin was for 2.4?
And fuck any others builds theorycrafted by the community this past month?
Two steps forward one step backward...
* IF enemy resistance is 99% or below, then
Conviction
Aura work at full effect.
EXCEPT not really if you use the sundering charm effect that reduce enemy resistance to 95% for immune monsters.
Making the game even quirkier Blizzard?

MrLlama thoughs on the
Cold Mastery
:

People: Cold sorc will be OP.
Blizz: Ok let nerf Pally and Necro.

Relax and have fun!
If they treat
Cold Mastery
in the same fashion it would be fine I think.
Although I'm still not sure what to think about something game breaking lime sunder charms in general.
I am not sure I understand this. So if a moster is not affected by the Sunder charm (less or equal to 95 resist) the Infinity will work at full power for this monster, but if it is affected by the sunder charm, Infinity works at one fifth, is this what they are saying?

Tetra 178

Paladin Europe PC
k88lech wrote: 1 year ago
I am not sure I understand this. So if a moster is not affected by the Sunder charm (less or equal to 95 resist) the Infinity will work at full power for this monster, but if it is affected by the sunder charm, Infinity works at one fifth, is this what they are saying?
Yes
Verband wrote: 1 year ago
Ganonvillage wrote: 1 year ago
Why? Dreamers are great. They don't even need that charm.
Yea, but the thing was, that before the recent patch, the enemies would be guaranteed at a res of -55%... w/o facets etc.
And now they will be at +65% res w/o facets etc.
I think I was just so hyped for that experience, that I was even more bummed, when the nerf struck :P
I still think it's viable.

PC | Europe | Non-Ladder and Ladder | Softcore
I just remember playing a Dreamer 10 years ago, and it would easily rip through anything. With Grief and Fortitude, it was phys + lightning.

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.
On the other hand, add me after you bid ;)
Tetra wrote: 1 year ago
3 days before ladder 2 and the back and forth about the new sundering charms and now this seems to me that the developpers dont know what they are doing.
Plot twist: they didn't know what they were doing all along.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL

Ravoc 122

PC
So basically an Infinity merc remains the better option to break lightning immunes as opposed to the sunder charm.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
k88lech wrote: 1 year ago
Not specifically sunder charms but immunities.

Since the olden days, when a monster was immune to an element and was then hit be either
Conviction
or lower res (or both), either of those would only work at 1/5th of its normal effect. That's why there's so many immunes you can't break with just those because at 1/5th, they're often times not quite enough to take them below 100%. IF they do break however, all other -res effects (facets,
Cold Mastery
and the like) do work at full effect. If not, those other effects just don't do anything as they can't break immunities.

Sunder charms initially flat out made a monster "not immune" as a first and separate step. Because of that, when
Conviction
or lower res got applied, they followed the rules for non-immune mobs, meaning they hit with their full effectiveness.

Now - as indeed proof of having no clue I guess - sunder charms got shifted to basically hitting in the same step as
Conviction
/lower res, meaning they all hit a still immune mob, taking it to 95% (sunder) and then lower by 1/5th of whatever your (combined)
Conviction
and/or lower res value is, all without any actual real open play-testing for proper feedback.
They're basically just making stuff up as they go along, as always.

All that having been said, personally, I don't see the issue with
Cold Mastery
remaining as is.
It will get a new advantage at mid-levels of gear in that you can do your full damage on immunes, opening up more (all) areas to "full cold performance".
At the same time however, there's a reason folks have traditionally used lightning sorcs over cold sorcs even when farming areas with no cold immunes. The mere fact that blizz still has a cooldown means your farming speed has a hard
Cap
as you can only kill so many mobs/that big of an area at a time before having to wait whereas lightning just plows on. As a result, once you reach true end-game levels of gear, I for one still fully expect most sorcs to stick to light over cold. Even more so since the massive
Nova
buffs last patch making that a top-end build again.

What's annoying the hell out of me here though is the fact that being able to take res that low actually opened things up to a lot of other builds that traditionally pretty much just failed. They're now back to being kinda crap, without ever seeing the light of day on live. So much for variety increasing...
Plus it makes trapsins far less flexible once again as they still can't even stack a single % of -res apart from the now nerfed again Infinity/lower res wands. Was actually looking forward to speccing mine out of fireblast. But oh well...

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Ravoc wrote: 1 year ago
So basically an Infinity merc remains the better option to break lightning immunes as opposed to the sunder charm.
Depends on the mobs. Infinity = -85 = -17 on immunes. With sunder hard forcing to 95%, that means that Infinity is better on mobs that start with 111 or less, the same at 112 and worse at 113+. Basically, that's 110 and less because base res on mobs always comes in 5s.

Out of the Infinity-breakable light immunes, you have x at y res:
5 at 105
8 at 110
5 at 115

Anything higher than that (7 more) can't be broken with Infinity, making sunder infinitely better. So basically, sunder beats Infinity on 12 immune types, Infinity wins on 13.

Though in either case, the combination remains ideal as even at 105 (best case), Infinity only takes them to 88% whereas the combination of sunder + Infinity will always take them to 78%, no matter what.

Th3ory 385

Paladin Americas PC
I wanted to share a video I could deploy quickly tonight when I finally had free time.

Most players/forums are focused on the "nerfing" of Sundered but missed a surgical and significant 'silent' update embedded within the notes - the introduction to the Desecrated TCs that, for now, has broken Sundered Drop Rates.

I hope you all found this helpful - time will tell if they amend/modify before S2 hits Thursday.

Th3ory wrote: 1 year ago
I wanted to share a video I could deploy quickly tonight when I finally had free time.

Most players/forums are focused on the "nerfing" of Sundered but missed a surgical and significant 'silent' update embedded within the notes - the introduction to the Desecrated TCs that, for now, has broken Sundered Drop Rates.

I hope you all found this helpful - time will tell if they amend/modify before S2 hits Thursday.

Wow, just wow. I predicted all along that this dev team was incompetent and/or reckless, but this is beyond what I could have imagined.

I am so glad I am officially bowing out of ladder season 2 and this mess. I'm taking my talents to South Beach non-ladder for one more season and I think I'm done with any major effort in this game after that.

This is software development malpractice. I swear ATVI is competing with Riot for the worst game studio of all the games I've played.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL
Can someone explain about Desecrated TCs. What is the different before and after.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Th3ory wrote: 1 year ago

Well, they did specifically say they're just rushing random crap for the sake of doing something..

Bumping the drop rate actually kinda makes sense, considering how "obligatory" those charms will be and how they're basically just a worse version of the "remove immunities" idea. Evening the playing field doesn't really work when they're nigh impossible to get. Every single champ+ though...well, makes the perfect ones easy to get as well I suppose (and seems an obvious bug/failure in implementation).

Ravoc 122

PC
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Depends on the mobs. Infinity = -85 = -17 on immunes. With sunder hard forcing to 95%, that means that Infinity is better on mobs that start with 111 or less, the same at 112 and worse at 113+. Basically, that's 110 and less because base res on mobs always comes in 5s.

5 at 105
8 at 110
5 at 115

Anything higher than that (7 more) can't be broken with Infinity, making sunder infinitely better. So basically, sunder beats Infinity on 12 immune types, Infinity wins on 13.

Though in either case, the combination remains ideal as even at 105 (best case), Infinity only takes them to 88% whereas the combination of sunder + Infinity will always take them to 78%, no matter what.
For non-breakable immunes, the sunder charm is the only way, but I meant for breakable immunes.

If the merc breaks it with
Conviction
, your griffon's, Crescent Moon and facets will all still work at full effect; but as soon as you carry a sunder charm, all that gear is only 20% effective vs original immunes. Or am I reading the patch notes wrong?

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago

5 at 105
8 at 110
5 at 115

For non-breakable immunes, the sunder charm is the only way, but I meant for breakable immunes.

If the merc breaks it with
Conviction
, your griffon's, Crescent Moon and facets will all still work at full effect; but as soon as you carry a sunder charm, all that gear is only 20% effective vs original immunes. Or am I reading the patch notes wrong?
I believe you are.
Conviction
and lower res will work at 1/5th, same as they always have, everything else (facets, griffon's, ...) will still work at full effect. So sunder charms don't make things worse, they merely make Infinity "less better".

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...