Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   2488 views

Description

Am I missing something? Why does it matter whether or not I kill cows in someone else's cow game? Doesn't everyone in 'Cowtown' get a proportional share of the XP? I've seen players rant about other players killing THEIR cows.
Description by Phoenix#1495

Can be used to make Runewords:

Am I missing something? Why does it matter whether or not I kill cows in someone else's cow game? Doesn't everyone in 'Cowtown' get a proportional share of the XP? I've seen players rant about other players killing THEIR cows.

If we trade and it goes well, I will give you a trust.
If I don't get trust from you, I will remove that trust and I will not trade with you again.
Don't loot their drops, thats the whole point to stay out

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
I think they do this because they don't want to share loot. Cows are not the best for XP, but they have good drops. Split farming is the only way to play online characters "solo" with increased player counts.

The proportional XP share is based on character levels, and sharing only occurs between party members within a few screens of the kill. Not everyone who plays this game knows/cares about all of its mechanics, so different players will have different opinions about how they want to split farm.

Individual players can be more or less antisocial than others, and not everybody will care if you kill their cows. Some people may be fine with low chars following at a distance to leech xp, and some people may be fine with barbs following to hork. I've also seen cases where people get really upset over this.

Personally I don't believe in making "I X U mf" games, because you have no control over what other players are going to do in your game.

I've made "I Chaos U mf" games in the past, and there will almost always be a sorc or hammerdin who joins to try to hijack my run. It doesn't really bother me, so I just cooperate with them. I'm not representative of the entire D2R player base, and there are a lot of people who would freak out if you did this to them.

If you have a problem with somebody in a public game, then you should either find a way to coexist, join/create a new game, or go hostile to settle the issue.

Sean wrote: 1 year ago
I think they do this because they don't want to share loot. Cows are not the best for XP, but they have good drops. Split farming is the only way to play online characters "solo" with increased player counts.

The proportional XP share is based on character levels, and sharing only occurs between party members within a few screens of the kill. Not everyone who plays this game knows/cares about all of its mechanics, so different players will have different opinions about how they want to split farm.

Individual players can be more or less antisocial than others, and not everybody will care if you kill their cows. Some people may be fine with low chars following at a distance to leech xp, and some people may be fine with barbs following to hork. I've also seen cases where people get really upset over this.

Personally I don't believe in making "I X U mf" games, because you have no control over what other players are going to do in your game.

I've made "I Chaos U mf" games in the past, and there will almost always be a sorc or hammerdin who joins to try to hijack my run. It doesn't really bother me, so I just cooperate with them. I'm not representative of the entire D2R player base, and there are a lot of people who would freak out if you did this to them.

If you have a problem with somebody in a public game, then you should either find a way to coexist, join/create a new game, or go hostile to settle the issue.
^ pretty much this.

I also like that you included the third and most OG option - I would never hijack/interrupt a run after I lost in a PvP duel.
Basically, "I _________ U MF" or "I _________ U dont" is a split MF game where the game creator has reserved _________ for themselves. So don't go in their reserved area to MF when they already called it in the game title.

It doesn't mean the same thing as a group _________ run for XP.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL
OP
Understood. Thanks all.

If we trade and it goes well, I will give you a trust.
If I don't get trust from you, I will remove that trust and I will not trade with you again.
Snakecharmed wrote: 1 year ago
Basically, "I _________ U MF" or "I _________ U dont" is a split MF game where the game creator has reserved _________ for themselves. So don't go in their reserved area to MF when they already called it in the game title.

That is the pinnacle of online gaming douchebaggery. You make an open and public room in a multiplayer game, then have the audacity to say "you cant join me here, go elsewhere, but stay in the room so I get better drops".

If you want to make such rooms, make it private with a group of people all agreeing to the same thing. Dont make it public and then kick off when public players join a public room.
Sph3x wrote: 1 year ago

That is the pinnacle of online gaming douchebaggery. You make an open and public room in a multiplayer game, then have the audacity to say "you cant join me here, go elsewhere, but stay in the room so I get better drops".

If you want to make such rooms, make it private with a group of people all agreeing to the same thing. Dont make it public and then kick off when public players join a public room.
Exactly!!
What? It's asking people to respect your area while they also get benefit in ANY OTHER area. Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems pretty reasonable and mutually beneficial.

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
At least for having used the expression "pinnacle of online gaming douchebaggery" it was worth it, you made my day :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
so I get better drops
Actually it is "we get better drops".

After all, I don't think It is hard to join a "I _________ U MF" game and not farm the _________ .

Relax and have fun!

Did you really join the forums to rant about this?

I know this isn't directed at me (although if it is, I really can't help you), but much of the player behavior in this game is a byproduct of how it was designed over two decades ago. It's a system that, while deeply flawed, has mostly worked fine through workarounds and implicit agreements by the playerbase over time.

Every now and then, someone who was unaware of that agreement storms into one of these games, takes issue with the whole system, and tries to enforce their own "rules" about how things should be done and messes things up for everyone else in the game. The system, broken as it may be, was working fine before this new guy came along and thought their way should be enforced immediately. Who's really the douchebag here?

I've joined one of these games before and decided to just slow down running my area and read the chat while two players argued over
Chaos Sanctuary
. I've also seen the same thing happen in a
Baal
run where the creator who was a level 98 running Diablo during
Baal
minions took issue with someone else in Chaos, so the two argued, went hostile, and broke the entire chain of 40+ consecutive runs.

As amusing as it is to read the chat drama, root cause analysis of every one of these issues points to bad game design. It's a bit ridiculous to cast judgment on players for trying to work with a broken system. The only thing you can judge them on is how they deal with the conflicts. Sometimes, the game creator doesn't handle it well, but there weren't any conflicts with the tens of others who joined their runs previously.

EPOCH FAIL

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
FanciestCrab wrote: 1 year ago
What? It's asking people to respect your area while they also get benefit in ANY OTHER area. Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems pretty reasonable and mutually beneficial.
This.

The game is sadly still built around "if you're solo, you get punished". If you want things to be at least a wee bit harder and/or if you want to optimize drops, you need players in your game. It'll remain that way until we finally get online /players (which I doubt will ever happen).

And as long as the game is built in such a way, the single best way to farm and the only way to hope for any sort of PvE challenge is to run alone in a full game. "I _____ you _____" is the simple and obvious outcome of that, benefiting not only the person who created the game (assuming folks who join respect it) but also those who join it as they, too get higher player counts while not having everyone in their area.

Not everyone has 6+ people ready at any given moment to run private split MF games with. This is really just the public version of that. And many of these that do end up successful and have folks join and actually split up as intended then actually turn into private games.

If you don't like being told what to (not) do in a game title...don't join that game. Easy as that.
At least these titles are clear and honest, as opposed to the actual douchy alternative being employed that is "FREE Enigma" or "
Jah
FOR
Shako
" or whatever to lure random noobs in as fillers, hoping they stay in town begging while you do your farming.

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
I think that the devs are afraid to add /players online, because it could be abused on chests like the ones found in
Lower Kurast
. Players 1 is too easy for a lot of endgame characters, and you can sometimes spend more time running between packs than you spend actually fighting them. D3 has had various difficulty scaling systems throughout its history to alleviate this problem, but there were chest exploits in that game too.

mhlg 840

Americas PC
If someone feels a need to pull others into their game to assist their drops, but has a problem is they drop in on their cow run. Then why not just gather a few associates and take turns running different acts in the game? That way everyone gets a shot at cows, Chaos, Worldstone, or
Travincal
?

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet

Nope. A more accurate statement would be "you can't join me here, go elsewhere and farm solo in one of the 50 other places there are to farm." Can't farm solo? Join a game with less players. Don't like the host's solo farm game rules? Join a group cow run. It's not someone else's responsibility to kill stuff for you, and many players don't want other people clearing areas they reserved, or worse, having other people follow them around and risk them swiping valuable items the player is spending time and effort farming.

The game name "I ___, you ___" implies "I'm farming this area, you farm somewhere else." Simple. When people misinterpret it as "I ____, you also come and farm that same area," it can be irritating.
Jeggo wrote: 1 year ago
When people misinterpret it as "I ____, you also come and farm that same area," it can be irritating.
I did that once before I understood split MF games. It was the first time I ever saw that game name format. I misinterpreted it as "I [tele]Baal [for] U dont #" and I was slightly confused at why "dont" was part of the game name. Went into the throne room with another player, game creator asked us what we were doing there and to go find our own area(s). I didn't take offense to it and figured out on the spot what the actual meaning of the game name was.

It wasn't a big deal and I didn't have issues with it again.

EPOCH FAIL

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation