Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
13 replies   6832 views

Damage Reduced By Number vs Damage Reduced By Percentage

No data yet

Description

Could any forum mates clarify this and inform us about which one is better for the players?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Could any forum mates clarify this and inform us about which one is better for the players?

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
Born with a heart of Steel
It belongs to the enemy :)

Vipers I think do a lot of small dmgs per second. 30-50 dmg per hit. 20dmg reduction from gbane vs 2,4-4dmg reduction from
Ber
(8%) or Shaftstopper 15 (30%).

100dmg from Seis. At first number reduction and then %reduction.
Number Reduction works before multiplier like might.

You want to have both :)

I think gbane with 20 reduction is in most cases better than shaftstopper with 30%.

Khegan 376

Both are valuable, but the problem is that flat DR is severely limited in the pool of endgame items, whereas percentage DR is far easier to obtain.

As for the tomb vipers, I'm pretty sure they fixed those bugged poison trails in D2R.
Khegan wrote: 1 year ago
As for the tomb vipers, I'm pretty sure they fixed those bugged poison trails in D2R.
I dont think so.

Teebling 5828Admin

Europe PC
Slypnir wrote: 1 year ago
Khegan wrote: 1 year ago
I dont think so.
It was, see blue post here: post350148.html#p350148

Nice, thx
DR By Number is flat reduction
80 dmg - 7 dmg reduction = 73 dmg

DR By Percentage
For example dmg reduction 10%
80 dmg * (100-10) % = 72 dmg

Against high dmg monster, DR% is more important.

DR% is capped at 50% but
Amplify Damage
reduce your Physical Resistances by 100%.
With DR% at 110% your DR% while being cursed by
Amplify Damage
is 10%.

Relax and have fun!
Flat dmg reduction is calculated before any multiplier.

With 80dmg example a
Sol
7dmg red works the same as a
Ber
(8%), as well as with Amp.

Higher dmg than 80 a
Ber
will slightly win.
Seis 97-102dmg.
Knight 84-131.
Max dmg 131 with 250ed might aura
Sol
31k dmg,
Ber
30,1k. Its not so much different
OP

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
That build use
Energy Shield
to Absorbs damage.
The damage taken is pretty low that DR from gears can cancel it.
This is a rare case that flat DR is more important than DR%

Relax and have fun!
OP
ok,so u say it doesn't work for a brb as for a sorc?

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
Because barb doesn't have
Energy Shield
to absorbs damage.

Relax and have fun!
This started as a reply, but now I feel like it should be its own post...

The flat Damage Reduced By X (DR) is calculated before Damage Reduced By % (DRB). Magic Damage Reduction (MDR) applies to all elements (magic, fire, cold, and lightning). There is no limit on how much flat DR & MDR you can stack on your character. Poison damage is a whole other complicated story - one you usually only need to deal with calculating when you're the one dealing the poison damage :P

Note: DR does not apply to damage from Crushing Blow (CB), which reduces hit points by a percentage on hit. Crushing Blow is only used by the
Blunderbore
family of monsters, which have a chance of CB per hit @ 15% in Nightmare & 25% in Hell. DR also doesn't apply to damage from
Sacrifice

Also note: DR is less effective against sources with a DPS component:
• 1/25 effectiveness:
Arctic Blast
Armageddon
Fire Wall
Firestorm
Immolation Arrow
Meteor
Molten Boulder
(same for Countess'
Fire Wall
and Diablo's
Firestorm
&
Diablo Clone
/
Uber Diablo
aka. Pandemonium Diablo's
Armageddon

• 2/25 effectiveness:
Inferno
, Diablo's Red Lightning Hose
• 1/5 effectiveness:
Wake of Fire

As @mockingbirdreal elaborated with their calculation example (assuming we're talking about physical damage), the end result of the reduction calculation could possibly end up with an overflow. If there is any overflow, that overflow amount of reduction is applied to any elemental damage received by the same hit (after Resistance and Absorb), aka. Magic Damage Reduction (MDR) - this does apply to poison damage, but only for the first tick. This can also happen with any elemental damage overflow, where overflow reduction will then apply to the physical damage of a hit. This is important since many attacks include components of both physical and elemental damage.

As far as what order damage reduction is calculated per hit:
1. Druid
Cyclone Armor
(fire, cold, and lightning damage absorb) / Necromancer
Bone Armor
(physical damage absorb) / Sorceress
Energy Shield
(percentage of all damage absorb, at a proportionate cost to mana)
2. Damage Reduction (DR) & Magic Damage Reduction (MDR) - flat reduction
3. Damage Reduced By % (DRB) - maximum 50%
3. Resistances (maximum of 95% with +X% to Maximum Y Resist) - Magic resistance % can be added only from a crafted
Safety Shield
(max 10%)
4. % Absorb (only available for fire, cold, and lightning damage types, and each max at 40%)
6. Flat Absorb - +X Absorb (Magic only - this doesn't apply to the other 3 elemental damage types, contrary to MDR)
5. Flat DR Overflow

Absorb heals for the same amount it reduces by. If you have positive Absorb after the calculations, you will actually be gaining health (up to max health) from that damage source :)

Overflow and Absorb can be extremely potent in regards to increasing your survivability.

About resistance maximums: Summons & pets can have their resistances exceed the 95% max which applies to player / mercenary characters, becoming immune to a damage type. It can also be useful to exceed the 95% resistance max for your player / mercenary for dealing with
Lower Resist
or
Conviction
(especially in Hardcore).

I don't know anything about PvP, but apparently all skills except
Thorns
and
Iron Maiden
(including from any mercenaries / summons / pets) deal 1/6 their normal damage to other players.

As far as final calculations for a hit:
Life Loss = ((Damage Dealt * (1 - %Resistance) * (1 - (Minimum Between %Absorb and 40%)) - x integer Absorb - (%Absorb Heal Amount + x integer Absorb Heal Amount))

Absorb calculation details:
1. %Absorb Heal Amount = (Damage Dealt * (1 - %Resistance)) - (Damage Dealt * (1 - %Resistance) * (1 - (Minimum Between %Absorb and 40%)))
2. x integer Absorb Heal Amount = x integer Absorb

Chance to Hit (CtH) details are out of scope for this topic, but I felt worth mentioning briefly. CtH is calculated by Attack Rating (AR), Level of Attacker (alvl), Level of
Defender
(dlvl), and Defense Rating.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any detail here or suggest an edit for clarity, and I will edit the post. Hope this helps!

Traders: Please don't PM me for trades without a trade posting or add me on BNet without a comment on a trade posting

Trade zone: PC | Softcore, Non-Ladder | UTC-8

Schnorki 3183Moderator

PC
Slypnir wrote: 1 year ago
Flat dmg reduction is calculated before any multiplier.
With the exception of
Energy Shield

Basically, you apply flat absorb skills like
Bone Armor
, then you apply
Energy Shield
, then you apply flat dmg reduction from gear. But yeah, any other % reduction (be that physical from gear or resistances in the case of elemental attacks) is applied after flat (magic) reduction from gear, making it significantly worse for non-sorc characters by comparison.

It still works wonders against fast low dmg attacks (vipers pre-fix, some boss abilities) but other than that, on normal monster attacks, % reduction tends to beat it. That's not to say it is worthless though. Just significantly less awesome (and not something I'd go out of my way to get as a non-sorc).

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...