Farming one or all(mentioned)

Poll ended at 1 year ago

Farm one. (27%)
Farm all. (73%)
Total votes: 15
Total votes: 15

Description

Hello,

My current farming sequence is (A1)Tower, The Pit, Andy,(A2)Stoney Tomb, Ancient Tunnel, then Meph, Diablo(and all the River), and
Baal

Takes just over an hour.

I use an ORB/
Hydra
sorc, lvl 91, full
Tal Rasha
set. Merc is a dog(Insight,
Duriel's Shell
and Vamp. Gaze) . Farming for a
Lo
for better armor for him, the dying &#@tard.

Highlight finds over close to 80 hours: 3
Tal Rasha
armor, a
Gul
, an
Ist
and an
Ohm
. Plus 3 x 175 poison LC.

My question to the experts is this; should I be farming as I am or should I pick one of these (eg The Pit) and do it over and over, repeat ad nauseam?

(If I have broken any rules with this post, please remove forthwith.)

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello,

My current farming sequence is (A1)Tower, The Pit, Andy,(A2)Stoney Tomb, Ancient Tunnel, then Meph, Diablo(and all the River), and
Baal

Takes just over an hour.

I use an ORB/
Hydra
sorc, lvl 91, full
Tal Rasha
set. Merc is a dog(Insight,
Duriel's Shell
and Vamp. Gaze) . Farming for a
Lo
for better armor for him, the dying &#@tard.

Highlight finds over close to 80 hours: 3
Tal Rasha
armor, a
Gul
, an
Ist
and an
Ohm
. Plus 3 x 175 poison LC.

My question to the experts is this; should I be farming as I am or should I pick one of these (eg The Pit) and do it over and over, repeat ad nauseam?

(If I have broken any rules with this post, please remove forthwith.)

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Realistically, the answer - as so often - is "depends". Though it can be broken into multiple bits.

Tower can yield some decent runes on average but primarily, I for one would only add that to the cycle if you're including summoner and nihl as well and are building up
Key
sets.

Similarly, I would only include meph and andy if you actually need something off of them (say you're still farming for a
Shako
).

Beyond that, all of the 85 areas don't really differ in terms of possible loot, minus the part where dia and
Baal
throw in some extra drops for CS and keep respectively. As a result, for these, it boils down to time over anything else (time to clear, compared to # of boss packs per clear). If you can clear CS in a couple minutes but need 20 minutes for
Baal
, don't bother with
Baal
. If you can do pits in a few minutes but need 15 minutes for tunnels, don't include tunnels and so on and so forth. It is a matter of optimizing time for those. And frankly, considering that it takes you an hour to do that cycle, you are most certainly losing (a lot) of time somewhere along the way. Given, you may be a bit slower across the board (lack of gear? lack of practice/optimization? who knows) but you may also already be in a situation where you're quite quick in 1 or 2 areas but just unnecessarily slow in others. That's tough to tell from the outside but that's what you should be focusing on optimizing.

Unless you actually need something with a higher chance off of andy/meph, just pick your favorite (fastest) 85 areas and stick with that imo.

Just my initial thoughts.

louner 197

Europe PC
With sorc I like to use Act 1 merc with Insight bow. Sorc teleports a lot and Act 2 merc has rarely even a chance to hit anything. I am using a cold sorc with fire Act 1 merc and when I really want to finish off some cold immune monster I can even kite it back and forth and Act 1 merc shoots while I
Teleport
. :P She is a lot easier to keep alive while farming that way, because she can stay with you out of danger (and for her
Duriel's Shell
is more than enough, you can also use Treachery - it's really good because of IAS and much cheaper than Fortitude). Unless you want to use Infinity I'd go for Act 1 merc for that reason

If you are in single player then this will be an uphill battle for you no matter what you choose. I would go just for
Pindleskin
or
Mephisto
to get some items. If you play online then it's a lot easier because you can trade your items up - unless you really want to have a solo self found character, I'd suggest that you should go online then farm one good spot. :) The game was designed with trade in mind because of how low the drop rates are for certain items. After you make some runes you can also make more by just trading (buying lower, selling higher :D) if you are into that, and not just farming

Your drop rates are kind of below average for 80 hours I think. If you were farming
Travincal
for 80 hours I am pretty sure you would end up with more high runes (if you are targeting that).

I think you should farm all spots, but not in one route. Farm tower for a while, then switch to something else and farm that etc. Tower for keys and runes over and over, Mephi or Pindle for items,
Baal
for xp,
Travincal
for runes etc. It's just faster, because you have a one route and do not travel that much between different places and lose time on that. Or you can plan some good route, like
Mephisto
->
Teleport
to act 4 ->
Teleport
to act 5 -> sell some
Mephisto
stuff to
Larzuk
for gold ->
Pindleskin
-> repeat. Different farming spots have better drop rates for specific items or runes

You can also make characters that are best to farm specific areas if you want to minmax. For example cold sorc for
Ancient Tunnels
, horker barb for Trav, Javazon or foh/Hammerdin for
Baal
etc and use them just for those areas. Generalist character will always be slower than something targeted.

If farming takes you a lot time you can take a look at this: https://d2.maxroll.gg/resources/map-reading
Maps are not 100% random, there are general directions you can expect map exits to be.

I've been doing endless
Baal
runs for several months now trying to hit 96 on my Barb so he can equip a crafted ring I made. Seems like that's the only decent way to get XP for me. And some good loot along the way (found a couple Jahs and Bers in WSK). Less than 2 bars from 96 right now!

I'm sure once I hit 96, I'll be switching it up to more Trav and
Key
farming though.

And another potentially good place is Swampy Pit (new 85 area). Might just be dumb luck, but I've gotten the best drop:run ratio from that dungeon. Only ran it a couple dozen times and have gotten Griffons, Arachnids,
Ohm
, and a beautiful 3OS / 44 All Res
Vortex Shield
base which sold for
Jah
+
Ber

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.
OP
Thank you for the responses.
I prefer farming a single / a few zones myself. On my Sorceress I'm doing
Travincal
+ Chaos +
Baal
+ Cows and on my Barbarian -
Travincal
alone. Whenever I get bored, I farm other areas like The Pit / WSK /
Icy Cellar
/ Pindle, etc.
I've finished hell with orb/
Hydra
She is fun but too slow for farming.

A pure
Hydra
could make the different but I don't recommend this hybrid for farming.

Blizz or
Nova
sorc is much faster.

Relax and have fun!
In my experience, do what gives you the most fun (it's a game), while balancing difficulty and efficiency.

With a sorceress, however, there are indeed zones that lend themselves very well to your build, like stoney tombs, while other zones are micro intensive.

Do a couple of them, and do them efficiently. This game rewards relentless repetition.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
i prefer to run one area for a while. at the moment i do pits. than after a while i will start farming cs with my lightning sorc. when it becomes boring i switch to my java for cow-runs. and than it could happen that i want to farm keys for uber runs with my pala
I usually just set off BoS on my MA sin and speed to countess, then head to pindle, afterwards I randomly choose where to farm from this wheel thing I made, https://wheelofnames.com/j47-m38

Farming the same thing over and over again gets me into a funk, idk how people can do it.

ATTENTION: I WILL BE MOVING ON JUNE 30TH, ALL TRADES WILL BE PAUSED. FIBER WILL BE INSTALLED ON JULY 5TH, IF YOU PLACE AN OFFER BETWEEN THOSE DAYS I WILL NOT SEE YOUR BIDS UNTIL JULY 6TH.

ShadowHeart 1742Moderator

Europe PC
I agree, I prefer to run several areas/bosses each game (not a huge number, but definitely more than 1), to get some variety.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...