Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
10 replies   2765 views

It takes 10 'u's for chat to not filter the word "fuck"

No data yet

Description

hey, just FYI.

the chat filter is funny to me so i leave it on.
Description by mcfondle

Can be used to make Runewords:

hey, just FYI.

the chat filter is funny to me so i leave it on.
SCIENCE!

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle...G I JOE!

Other random 1980s catch phrases that only the geriatrics that play D2R will giggle at.
OP
the power is mine. or something.
Cow-a-bundle.
It works both ways.

Bisu 374

PC
Interesting.
I would have guessed that the filter uses Regular Expression, but it seems like it could be somewhat ...hard-coded? Or maybe the Pattern was limited to only look for 1~9 of 'u'? Curious.
lul imagine someone typing out all versions of the word they want to filter instead of using a regex

All prices are negotiable.
All trades are Non-Ladder.
Very likely. A regex can easily cover n repetitions; why wouldn't they use one?
Maybe after a certain number of "u"s or "i"s, they figure someone is making a deliberate effort, and so is a 1% corner case and not worth the effort?

It seems, based on the state of the chat function, that the old code isn't quite holding up to the modern expectations (putting it politely). Chat bugs, spambots, etc. Maybe the hard coding is the best they can do without totally breaking the chat? While the F work has always been on the naughty list, there are plenty of words that were totally fine in 2002, but not now, meaning they had to go in and update the lists. I will list a few examples now...

::LEAKER HAS BEEN BANNED::
Leaker416 wrote: 2 years ago
Maybe after a certain number of "u"s or "i"s, they figure someone is making a deliberate effort, and so is a 1% corner case and not worth the effort?
That or they felt that the user really really means it if the count of 'u's is 10+. So it could be RegEx, with an exception for n(u)>=10.
It seems, based on the state of the chat function, that the old code isn't quite holding up to the modern expectations (putting it politely). Chat bugs, spambots, etc. Maybe the hard coding is the best they can do without totally breaking the chat? While the F work has always been on the naughty list, there are plenty of words that were totally fine in 2002, but not now, meaning they had to go in and update the lists. I will list a few examples now...

::LEAKER HAS BEEN BANNED::
That would be a pretty long list. No wonder the game is 29 GBs!
Katonda wrote: 2 years ago

That would be a pretty long list. No wonder the game is 29 GBs!
Hey Ricky, what's this 27GB .docx Word file in the game library? Oh, it's the list of all the naughty words that need filtering? Ah. Is it really just 27GB? Are you sure you have ALL the naughty words on there?
SCIENCE!

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle...G I JOE!

Other random 1980s catch phrases that only the geriatrics that play D2R will giggle at.
The other half of the battle is red and blue lazors.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...