Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
46 replies   3932 views

Description

Description by thekolombian

Can be used to make Runewords:

oldboldsummoner wrote: 2 years ago
OP, I'm so sorry you experienced had this terrible experience.
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
thekolombian wrote: 2 years ago
I didn't hover over the weapon and clicked the check mark
You technically didn't get scammed
Oh, come on! That is a bullshit technicality and you know it. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence and sensibility to say that he didn't get scammed. This was deception and intentionally meant to con the trader, clear as day. You're practically gaslighting the poor guy when you say that.
It was and scammers deserve a **** in their **** but this scam could have been prevented by a simple action worth 2 seconds of OP time. But as a lesson, it might be worth infinite value.

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
MakorPopeil wrote: 2 years ago
Path of Exile has a nice feature where you can't execute a trade until both parties have hovered over the item(s). Really eliminates a lot of the scams - I wish this game had this.

Sorry to hear about your runes - some people really suck :(
i really like that as a feature. i know its everyones own responsibilty to check, but that doesn't make right to do to another person. thats just a really simple and what would seem to be a relatively easy thing to implement.

Teebling 5997Admin

Europe PC
Banjo wrote: 2 years ago
thats just a really simple and what would seem to be a relatively easy thing to implement.
Not necessarily guys, we don't know how D2R has been coded. Sounds like a good idea but we can't comment on how easy it would be to implement.

Afura 10

Druid Europe PC
Those people are scumbags, sorry that this happened to you. Sad thing is that I am pretty sure that those people are grown up men. I always double or triple check, even if I trust them, you never know.

Mboc 13

Druid Europe PC
Afura wrote: 2 years ago
Those people are scumbags, sorry that this happened to you. Sad thing is that I am pretty sure that those people are grown up men. I always double or triple check, even if I trust them, you never know.
So u say it would have been better if he was tricked by a kid? 😉 scumbags are scumbags no matter the age but I agree those ppl are probably those who ripped off ppl 20y ago and didn’t evolve since then. Maybe that is what you are referring to. As for me I experienced a community that seems to be generally a bit more sour than back then. Maybe there is a correlation…
You technically didn't get scammed, you willingly clicked trade. Why do people always forget to double check when the item swap scam is by far the most commonly used and its ALWAYS prefaced with "hey add this or let me make room" and bringing the window up a 2nd time. Never trust strangers online, or in general. The fact that people don't quadruple check every trade and especially high value ones blows my mind.

Check the 10 Common Scams in D2R thread for a refresher.
Quite harsh.

"Let's deal, my friend."
d2rppa69 wrote: 2 years ago
Also becareful with the ctrl+ left click request from potential buyer who asks u to show him/her the item via a link. This will drop the item on the Ground for easy pick up.

Just remember to use shift+ left click if u want to show someone ur item via the link.
If you are not sure, try the hotkey on a worthless item, such as
Key
or Town Portal. In worst case you'll drop a worthless item, and learn the correct key immediately. Also, you'll see if the other player immediately tries to snatch that item (actually you can test him on purpose, not by missclick). If he does, there's a potential scammer.
Sad, but it's totally your fault.
This is like receiving a payment in cash IRL and not checking if you are actually getting real bills of some useless papers.

Afura 10

Druid Europe PC
Mboc wrote: 2 years ago
So u say it would have been better if he was tricked by a kid? 😉 scumbags are scumbags no matter the age but I agree those ppl are probably those who ripped off ppl 20y ago and didn’t evolve since then. Maybe that is what you are referring to. As for me I experienced a community that seems to be generally a bit more sour than back then. Maybe there is a correlation…
That's not what I meant, I mean we do a lot of stupid things when we are kids or teenagers without even thinking of the impact that it can have on others, most people do grow out of it though, because they get mature, unfortunately not everyone matures.

Well the correlation I see is that the diablo 2 community is still as toxic as it was back in the days, especially still very unfriendly and toxic towards newbies.
MadBarbosa wrote: 2 years ago
This is like receiving a payment in cash IRL and not checking if you are actually getting real bills of some useless papers.
This is a poor argument, I have to say. There are certain things that are implicit in a duty relationship when entering into a contract or transaction. When entering a contract it's implied that you enter it with the intent to follow and fulfill it. When entering into a transaction it's implied that you Honor the transaction as stipulated e.g., "I will give you $10 for a hamburger, and you will give me the hamburger I'm paying $10 for."

It's a reasonable expectation to expect that the change the cashier gives back to you is legal tender instead of counterfeit bills. Nobody can reasonably blame the recipient of counterfeit bills in that instance if it just so happens that the cashier happens to be a crook who tries to make some extra money at your expense.
This is a poor argument, I have to say. There are certain things that are implicit in a duty relationship when entering into a contract or transaction. When entering a contract it's implied that you enter it with the intent to follow and fulfill it. When entering into a transaction it's implied that you Honor the transaction as stipulated e.g., "I will give you $10 for a hamburger, and you will give me the hamburger I'm paying $10 for."

It's a reasonable expectation to expect that the change the cashier gives back to you is legal tender instead of counterfeit bills. Nobody can reasonably blame the recipient of counterfeit bills in that instance if it just so happens that the cashier happens to be a crook who tries to make some extra money at your expense.
I will not even argue with you my friend.
People trying to blame others for their own stupidity is just too much for me.

Mboc 13

Druid Europe PC
Mboc wrote: 2 years ago
That's not what I meant, I mean we do a lot of stupid things when we are kids or teenagers without even thinking of the impact that it can have on others, most people do grow out of it though, because they get mature, unfortunately not everyone matures.

Well the correlation I see is that the diablo 2 community is still as toxic as it was back in the days, especially still very unfriendly and toxic towards newbies.
That’s is basically what I wrote just in other words 😉

I will not even argue with you my friend.
People trying to blame others for their own stupidity is just too much for me.

This is how i see. Since the person who swapped out and “stole” the runes from this person by placing a fake Infinity in, it is considered bad intend, malicously trying to con the user of his hard earned runes, very different than that of one person who decides to willingly trade off his bers etc etc for something he doesnt know the value of it, in that case, ur comment regarding “own stupidity” does make sense and it would be the user’s fault.

So for all intend and purpose, i myself would consider this person a scammer.

Just my take :)

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
Mayoichilun wrote: 2 years ago
You technically didn't get scammed, you willingly clicked trade. Why do people always forget to double check when the item swap scam is by far the most commonly used and its ALWAYS prefaced with "hey add this or let me make room" and bringing the window up a 2nd time. Never trust strangers online, or in general. The fact that people don't quadruple check every trade and especially high value ones blows my mind.

Quite harsh.
This guy willingly takes the side of scammers and thieves, encouraging their behavior and placing the blame solely on the people who were scammed/stolen from. Pretty backwards imo
Jeggo wrote: 2 years ago
Mayoichilun wrote: 2 years ago

Quite harsh.
This guy willingly takes the side of scammers and thieves, encouraging their behavior and placing the blame solely on the people who were scammed/stolen from. Pretty backwards imo
Especially as he's a mod...

"Let's deal, my friend."

geo89 52

Assassin Americas XLinux
No he isn't and even if he does, does that change anything? He is saying (and I agree with him), any iteration of diablo 2 will have scammers and these scams are predictable and very easy to protect against.

I don't know about that technically not getting scammed message, that just seems like a troll thing to say. In what universe did he not technically get scammed... lol

This is a HARDCORE trade. PC only.
Uhhh.... ooops?

I don't understand why people let this happen to them. I double check every trade, both sides of the window.

Imagine if the roll were reversed and you gave some HR away thinking it was a
Lem

Imagine if you accidently put that 15ed
Mage Plate
or Archon up instead of your 6ed one for a
Lem

Be smarter than this. Double check. Every time.

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC
d2rppa69 wrote: 2 years ago

This is how i see. Since the person who swapped out and “stole” the runes from this person by placing a fake Infinity in, it is considered bad intend, malicously trying to con the user of his hard earned runes, very different than that of one person who decides to willingly trade off his bers etc etc for something he doesnt know the value of it, in that case, ur comment regarding “own stupidity” does make sense and it would be the user’s fault.

So for all intend and purpose, i myself would consider this person a scammer.

Just my take :)
Scammer or not (for me it is a rip-off with a social engineering), the person could have prevented that. I understand how frustrating it is and i don't like person who do such things. But i lost sympathy for action with so little care. He did make a trade with such high value and didn't care to double check?

The thing is you can't fight scams by just calling the scammer scum or else in the anonymous internet. This is a tilt against windmills and waste of time. The only way to fight this is by prevent it in technical ways (but only the devs can do it) or let the people learn to protect their belongings and give them no attack points. As long as people fall for such things there will be scammers. This is not a thing about Diablo but common sense in the real world.
Are you guys serious? Using this technicality you can make an argument that no person in history of mankind was technically ever scammed. Do you even know what a scam is LMAO? The other person clearly acted in bad Faith, come on, this is blatant scam.

It's a very old scam, people were subbing
Tal Rasha
's armor for
Rattlecage
20 years ago, but that doesn't mean everyone knows about it. D2R brought lots of new players. Now the OP knows about it so it should never happen again to him.

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC
Jeggo wrote: 2 years ago
You realize who wrote the guide to prevent scam here, do you?

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...