Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   100 views

Description

For items, it would be cool if there was a "found it", "made it" button for sets/uniques and crafted items/runewords respectively. This would pop a simple form with additional optional fields for area, monster, monster rarity (unique, champion, minion, normal, superunique) that use the db search lookup, and a screenshot (optional), difficulty, and a checkbox for current ownership, (and if possible the character you found it with). On form submission, there are several db updates, one is for a new table with columns for item, source mob, difficulty, and drop-count, a second updates the item table (potentially adding a screenshot if none existed) as well as a total seen counter column, and the third writes to a table with user, item, found (grail checkoff), in_possession (bool for whether the user indicated they held onto it).
The first table can later be used to add drop rate data in a new module both on the item and the monster db entry pages (so the item would show which monsters have dropped it and how often, and the monster page would show possible item drops from that monster with incident rates). The third table would allow for features like a grail icon next to the item name if the user has found the given item, or a custom filter on the item db to just show items you've found or currently own, or (if they uploaded a screenshot) if they click trade from that item, it auto-populates all but the request part of the create trade UI. While all of the ways to render the data collected can be done later, I would prioritize the new form to collect the data asap. You want to start collecting that at launch on thursday (with the data stored as a line in a log file if needed).

The other idea I had was in letting folks have multiple characters linked in their profile (I'll be playing at least 4/5 in the next month) with each character having a name, class, and level (and later equipment and skills if desired).

If you need a hand quickly hacking either of these things together, I should be able to help out (though I don't normally work on the front-end).

Can be used to make Runewords:

For items, it would be cool if there was a "found it", "made it" button for sets/uniques and crafted items/runewords respectively. This would pop a simple form with additional optional fields for area, monster, monster rarity (unique, champion, minion, normal, superunique) that use the db search lookup, and a screenshot (optional), difficulty, and a checkbox for current ownership, (and if possible the character you found it with). On form submission, there are several db updates, one is for a new table with columns for item, source mob, difficulty, and drop-count, a second updates the item table (potentially adding a screenshot if none existed) as well as a total seen counter column, and the third writes to a table with user, item, found (grail checkoff), in_possession (bool for whether the user indicated they held onto it).
The first table can later be used to add drop rate data in a new module both on the item and the monster db entry pages (so the item would show which monsters have dropped it and how often, and the monster page would show possible item drops from that monster with incident rates). The third table would allow for features like a grail icon next to the item name if the user has found the given item, or a custom filter on the item db to just show items you've found or currently own, or (if they uploaded a screenshot) if they click trade from that item, it auto-populates all but the request part of the create trade UI. While all of the ways to render the data collected can be done later, I would prioritize the new form to collect the data asap. You want to start collecting that at launch on thursday (with the data stored as a line in a log file if needed).

The other idea I had was in letting folks have multiple characters linked in their profile (I'll be playing at least 4/5 in the next month) with each character having a name, class, and level (and later equipment and skills if desired).

If you need a hand quickly hacking either of these things together, I should be able to help out (though I don't normally work on the front-end).

Teebling 6657Admin

Europe PC
Hey! This is pretty much all already planned for the Holy Grail tool, and some more. Though you did mention a few things I hadn't thought about (icons next to commenter names if they own the item). So yeah, it's possible and it's coming.

As for characters in profiles etc, you can already link accounts together (to swap between them without logging in/out) that have different details. Having actual character items/stash etc. is in long-term plans, preferably if Blizzard expose an API for bnet characters.

OP
Thanks for the quick response. I definitely don't want to step on any toes if you have the implementation for the grail tool thought out already, but having just read through the code that does the trade item creation, I don't think it would take me more than a few hours to create a prototype of the found item workflow and then either do a quick and dirty just write to log file of the data on the backend, or take a few more hours to define the new db table structures and hook up the writes to the db directly on the backend. The only reason I'm pushing for this temporary stopgap is not just that this data needs to be collected in near realtime (so that it's only like 10 seconds per item) as opposed to having to enter all the items found over the first week (or however long till the form would have gone live) which most people won't do, it'll also bring more users to this site for their D2R needs as opposed to looking for other grail trackers or trading sites. It's really important that in the launch excitement users get used to uploading their items as part of playing. The cool UI can wait a few weeks so long as they know it's coming and has their data. And the first UI could just be the percent of grail items found so far (just to show that the data exists and is safe).

Teebling 6657Admin

Europe PC
Could you add me on Discord please? Teebling#5444. Would be easier to discuss this over voice/screenshare.

OP
Just sent a request on discord
Teebling wrote: 3 years ago
Could you add me on Discord please? Teebling#5444. Would be easier to discuss this over voice/screenshare.
Hey, Teebling, I just wanted to chime in and convey that I think a holy grail tracker would indeed be cool.

Teebling 6657Admin

Europe PC
Just an update, we talked today on voice and have decided to go ahead with this.

We'll have updates when something barebones is ready so that you can immediately start populating your grail collection with data.

Might not be pretty but it'll work for now, just so you all have something to use as you play Resurrected.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...