Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   2224 views

Description

While stumbleing around attempting to MF I came across a 425% Ed 20% IAS
Long Bow
... and that seems like a lot.
I'm moderately poor, so trying to decide if I should up it. If my calculations are correct as a
Shadow Bow
it'll come out with 78.75 - 319.75 damage which is quite nice for a bow, but as it's not got any skills on it is this worth doing? Is their a market for high damage bows with no +skills? Or are runewords with their utility just better?

Can be used to make Runewords:

While stumbleing around attempting to MF I came across a 425% Ed 20% IAS
Long Bow
... and that seems like a lot.
I'm moderately poor, so trying to decide if I should up it. If my calculations are correct as a
Shadow Bow
it'll come out with 78.75 - 319.75 damage which is quite nice for a bow, but as it's not got any skills on it is this worth doing? Is their a market for high damage bows with no +skills? Or are runewords with their utility just better?

I play this game, not because I'm good, but because I'm stubborn.
Also I play a wearbear amazon because I like punching things.
I grunt in your general direction good sir.

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Your calculations are close.

Shadow bows start at 15-59 dmg. Adding 425% to that would put you at 78 - 309.
The decimals get truncated in D2 so the .75 is just lost on both ends of the range.

In terms of ED, that is a crapton of damage for a bow. However, more so than the skills, you are losing the aura that you'd get from Faith or similar. Your most apt comparison would hence be
Windforce
as that is typically the leading choice for "bows not bothered by skills or auras".

Comparing to that, you even have the mana steal and same ias to balance that out so what you lose on yours is really the knockback. That's pretty much it in terms of "significant difference".

Looking at the difference in damage then, which would become the deciding factor (apart from knockback), your bow does come with a better base speed and hence lower IAS requirements. However, the flat damage in
Windforce
is far (FAR) superior still. The ED may be much lower but the +max more than makes up for that in the resulting average damage.
(You're looking at around 193.5 with yours while WF goes up to 291, depending on lvl)

So in the end, you're looking at an investment of
Amn
+
Fal
+
Um
and 2 P. Sapphires to turn this into what I would call a "worse
Windforce
" which you can buy for
Ist
, sometimes even
Mal
ingame with a bit of patience (bit more expensive here).

With all that, I for one would say it sadly probably isn't really worth the investment.

UNLESS you're looking at the specific case of lower (mid) lvl PvP brackets. Even upgraded, the lvl req of yours shouldn't increase (shadow base is 47). So you're looking at quite a lvl req difference between your bow and WF or Faith or any of that. If you find someone interested in that...I dare say this thing is actually pretty good.

Asha 346

Sorceress Europe PC
True. Despite that 425%ed number - it's not a gg bow as it could be probably (havin 40% ias, amplify proc, and perhaps the prefix of mechanic, for example).
I can remember 2 interesting rares I dropped back in 1.13 LoD - the one was
Eth
Colossus Voulge
411%ed but with crappy other mods - from
Mephisto
, and another was 284%ed 40% ias Amplify 2 pala skills and some good (flaming prefix probably) fire dmg
Ancient Sword
- from some unique hierophant in
Travincal
. That last sword was a sight to see indeed 🙂
OP
Yeah after looking at
Windforce
this bow, while shiny doens't have enough else going for it. The +1 cold damage is novel and handy on a hirling, so unless someone wants this free i'm going to bin it. Technically you cna socket it with a cheap 15%ias jewel but you can say the same for WF and get the same results.
I appreciate the feedback.

As for numbers truncated I'm not sure on that, I looked at my Titans Revenge and it seemed to round up the damage from a 0.61 and looking at the defence on a
Helm
I came up with the same result. But quibbleing over 1 damage or defence doesn't change enough really.

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Nathalanti wrote: 2 years ago
As for numbers truncated I'm not sure on that, I looked at my Titans Revenge and it seemed to round up the damage from a 0.61 and looking at the defence on a
Helm
I came up with the same result. But quibbleing over 1 damage or defence doesn't change enough really.
It truncates. It always does.

The reason it seems like it rounds up instead of truncating on a
Helm
is because most people also expect it to be based on the same normal defense range. A %ED
Helm
however always has a base defense of "highest possible defense for that item + 1". That +1 is what throws folks off.

The titan's, you are just remembering wrong. ;)
See: (Just snatched that from the 1st titans listing here..thanks for randomly working out!)

Matri starts at 66 dmg. 192 ED added on that would put it at 192.72. Adding the flat 50 from titan's would then be 242.72. Final damage is 242 because the .72 is truncated along the way, as opposed to the 243 it would be if rounded.
OP
Ahh right, the
Helm
would have thronw me off I think it's a 3 socket 15% ed
Bone Visage
or something.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...