Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
1 reply   854 views

Description

Hey everyone,

I was curious if there is a designated area for reporting scammers. If not, let's start a thread here. If you're new to Diablo 2, then you will almost certainly fall victim to classic Diablo 2 scams; specifically the trade window swap.

There are several types. Two off the top of my head are...

Inventory Space Swap.
- Say for instance you have a 4x3 set of keys (or multiple items that take up a lot of space) you're selling and your customer initially puts up their payment. Checks the box, but no space, so they go to their stash. Comes back, you replace the keys and hit the box before checking their payment. This happens a lot with Unidentified Hellfire Torches,
Gheed's Fortune
, or
Annihilus

"Let Me See" Swap.
- Say for instance you enter an Enigma trade game and you ask to see the item. The seller will come to you and throw a genuine Enigma into the trade window. The two of you negotiate the price and come to an agreement, you run to your stash, grab the payment and open a trade window. He throws up a runeword armor that looks similar (Peace or any other 3os runeword will do), in the same type of armor. You do one of two things at this point. You accept the trade without checking the item you're paying for or you glide your cursor over it just to see that it's a runeword item on your way to the Accept Trade box and click it.

These are the most common trade scams that I know of. They're classics and they work.

ALWAYS CHECK THE ITEM YOU'RE BUYING BEFORE ACCEPTING THE TRADE.

- If you're going to contribute to this thread with the names of scammers, a screenshot is required.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hey everyone,

I was curious if there is a designated area for reporting scammers. If not, let's start a thread here. If you're new to Diablo 2, then you will almost certainly fall victim to classic Diablo 2 scams; specifically the trade window swap.

There are several types. Two off the top of my head are...

Inventory Space Swap.
- Say for instance you have a 4x3 set of keys (or multiple items that take up a lot of space) you're selling and your customer initially puts up their payment. Checks the box, but no space, so they go to their stash. Comes back, you replace the keys and hit the box before checking their payment. This happens a lot with Unidentified Hellfire Torches,
Gheed's Fortune
, or
Annihilus

"Let Me See" Swap.
- Say for instance you enter an Enigma trade game and you ask to see the item. The seller will come to you and throw a genuine Enigma into the trade window. The two of you negotiate the price and come to an agreement, you run to your stash, grab the payment and open a trade window. He throws up a runeword armor that looks similar (Peace or any other 3os runeword will do), in the same type of armor. You do one of two things at this point. You accept the trade without checking the item you're paying for or you glide your cursor over it just to see that it's a runeword item on your way to the Accept Trade box and click it.

These are the most common trade scams that I know of. They're classics and they work.

ALWAYS CHECK THE ITEM YOU'RE BUYING BEFORE ACCEPTING THE TRADE.

- If you're going to contribute to this thread with the names of scammers, a screenshot is required.

Beardozer 451Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
While I do honestly appreciate the desire behind this idea, we're not doing this. A number of reasons:

- Posting a screenshot doesn't prove anything. We can all have the same name in game, and it is easy for one to defame another by creating a character of the same name and then acting a fool in the other person's name.
- Screenshots can be edited to say whatever one wants them to say.
- Scam reports of things done in game are essentially one person's word against another's.

We're not going to have a thread where people throw shit at each other on this board. It is difficult for me to know anything that happens off site no matter what is done, and the onus for verifying your trade partner is giving you what was promised is entirely in your own hands.

Please, by all means:

- Wait a random amount of time before dropping your item in the trade window so the other person cannot attempt to time your drop, cancel the trade, and make you accidentally drop the item on the Ground
- Manually check every item in your trade partner's side by hand before clicking accept

But beyond that, we're not having a witch hunt thread on this board. If you really have a problem with a member of this board, report the user's post or reach out to one of us on the moderation team. However, just be aware that there is very little we can do about in-game behavior other than paying closer attention to a particular member.

Please do not post this thread again.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...