Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
34 replies   1344 views

Description

It's the version that I put the most time Into. I miss it very much in contrast to d2r. The difficulty of that and previous versions.

Meh, maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic, but I still play that version every so often.

Back in the day I didn't have the internet and couldn't exactly update along side everyone else, so for me. Greatly increased attack speed was this vague description that I simply had to test one item at a time.

Lord De Seis
was the real last boss.
Multiple Shot
Stone skin lightning enchanted teleporter.. yeah, fun times.

Anyway, I'm done waxing poetically.

Happy hunting d2r people.

Can be used to make Runewords:

It's the version that I put the most time Into. I miss it very much in contrast to d2r. The difficulty of that and previous versions.

Meh, maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic, but I still play that version every so often.

Back in the day I didn't have the internet and couldn't exactly update along side everyone else, so for me. Greatly increased attack speed was this vague description that I simply had to test one item at a time.

Lord De Seis
was the real last boss.
Multiple Shot
Stone skin lightning enchanted teleporter.. yeah, fun times.

Anyway, I'm done waxing poetically.

Happy hunting d2r people.

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
I still miss the pre-1.10 days.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
I still miss the pre-1.10 days.
Gah glad to hear I'm not alone then. I liked pre-lod as well. Something about no runewords and still treading on the enemies really appeals to me at times.

A land where yellows and blues were potentially useful. So often I just don't even bother picking them up now...

(Probably should get back to doing that though lol)
OP
Oooh, not to mention inventories that had room to pick things up, I remember years back introducing my friend to LOD after he and I beat d2, he kept making fun of me for having charms in my inventory because we had been so thorough about making sure everything was all neat and organized in plain d2.
OP
I guess the only thing I don't miss is dragging my old monitor over to other people's houses for Lan parties. That thing weighed so bloody much, upgrading to laptop helped, but then I had to drag the same bloody monitor over to my place all the time because I gifted my friend the dang thing lol.

Somehow I still ended up being the one to carry it...
What can I say... My first broken mice playing Diablo I brings up warm memories...
confession: i quit playing barb until 1.09(?) , when
Iron Maiden
was removed from oblivion knights....
OP
krathkor wrote: 1 month ago
Iron Maiden
I've read a few claims as to when that happened. 1.13c was the latest I had heard. So, I have no clue. All I know is that they made running CS interesting.

However I could have sworn that I had the same problem with assassin and Druid vs them, and that was 1.14d, so I have no clue.
OP
I do miss telekenesis pucking up loot, though I do see the implications multiplayer had on that specific interaction.

Still, why not in single player?

ShadowHeart 2584Moderator

Europe PC
I'm with Schnorki, a bit anyway. I can feel a little bit nostalgic about the pre-1.10 days when I think back, but to be honest, I haven't truly felt the urge to go back to D2/LoD ever since D2R came out. And I don't suspect I will either. *D1*, on the other hand, I really feel like returning to every once in a while (but I haven't for a couple of years).

Also, for the record,
Iron Maiden
was removed from Oblivion Knights' repertoire in 1.13, so the last patch with scary (for melee)
Chaos Sanctuary
was 1.12.
Reference: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Patch_notes_v1.01-1.13c
BoringTitle wrote: 1 month ago
I do miss telekenesis pucking up loot, though I do see the implications multiplayer had on that specific interaction.

I think you should be able to mod this into the game yourself. In both LoD and D2R. I haven't really looked into it though.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
OP
ShadowHeart wrote: 1 month ago
I'm with Schnorki, a bit anyway. I can feel a little bit nostalgic about the pre-1.10 days when I think back, but to be honest, I haven't truly felt the urge to go back to D2/LoD ever since D2R came out. And I don't suspect I will either. *D1*, on the other hand, I really feel like returning to every once in a while (but I haven't for a couple of years).

Also, for the record,
Iron Maiden
was removed from Oblivion Knights' repertoire in 1.13, so the last patch with scary (for melee)
Chaos Sanctuary
was 1.12.

I think you should be able to mod this into the game yourself. In both LoD and D2R. I haven't really looked into it though.
I am totally aware that it's merely an attack of nostalgia on my end. I just miss the days where there was some measure of difficulty to the game.

Best bet on my end is to just use blue and yellow equipment only. That would no doubt accomplish my goal.

And maybe invest into non synergistic skills only.
OP

Also, for the record,
Iron Maiden
Chaos Sanctuary
was 1.12.

Also, if you are ever tempted to play d1 you can play it on your cellphone through ps1 version (if ya know you know, right?)

Last I heard GoG was hosting d1. And there was a mod I played a few years ago that readied a lot of the cut content.

I'll see if I can find a link to that later on.

Europe PC
Best bet on my end is to just use blue and yellow equipment only. That would no doubt accomplish my goal.
You also have the option of creating a non-expansion character in D2R - that means there's no Act 5, but it also means that there are no rune words (among other differences). But yes, you can always apply any set of personal restrictions/rules. People do this in lots of games to increase challenge beyond the game's own difficulty settings, by adding self-imposed restrictions. And for the record - just simply playing solo self found (SSF) and not allowing yourself to share items between characters means you are pretty much restricted to magic, rare, normal quality uniques and basic rune words. Unless you get a really lucky drop (or several).

Also, if you are ever tempted to play d1 you can play it on your cellphone through ps1 version (if ya know you know, right?)
Thanks for the tip, but I don't game on my phone (like, at all), so if I do go back to play it, it will be on my PC :P

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
OP
You also have the option of creating a non-expansion character in D2R - that means there's no Act 5, but it also means that there are no rune words (among other differences). But yes, you can always apply any set of personal restrictions/rules. People do this in lots of games to increase challenge beyond the game's own difficulty settings, by adding self-imposed restrictions. And for the record - just simply playing solo self found (SSF) and not allowing yourself to share items between characters means you are pretty much restricted to magic, rare, normal quality uniques and basic rune words. Unless you get a really lucky drop (or several).

Thanks for the tip, but I don't game on my phone (like, at all), so if I do go back to play it, it will be on my PC :P
Lmao 'you all do have cellphones, right?'
I hope that meme never dies.

('Do you guys not have phones?' Really was possibly the dumbest thing he could have said at that particular moment 😆, luckily I'm not the one who has to wear that one)
OP
I guess it's silly that most folks have gaming computers to run the newest and best, yet my gaming pc still runs windows xp.

So hard to force some games to run on modern hardware.

I have kinda the opposite problem, my good computer, I hardly ever play video games on it at all. Work only.

Europe PC
I guess it's silly that most folks have gaming computers to run the newest and best, yet my gaming pc still runs windows xp.

I have kinda the opposite problem, my good computer, I hardly ever play video games on it at all. Work only.
Are you familiar with GoG (good old games, gog.com)? It's a PC storefront (competitor to Steam). They started out mostly selling older games (hence the name), and are also famous for not using DRM at all, but beyond that, older games sold there are usually tested and patched to work on modern Windows versions. I've personally had a very good experience running older games bought from there on newer Windows versions. And on topic - D1 is sold there, and the D1 version on GoG is confirmed to work on all Windows version all the way up to 11.

I mean, of course :P But I don't use it to play games. I loath the tiny phone screen (for gaming), the awful touch controls, and just how uncomfortable it is to hold a phone in ones hands to game for any longer amount of time. Big nope xD

OP

Are you familiar with GoG (good old games, gog.com)? It's a PC storefront (competitor to Steam). They started out mostly selling older games (hence the name), and are also famous for not using DRM at all, but beyond that, older games sold there are usually tested and patched to work on modern Windows versions. I've personally had a very good experience running older games bought from there on newer Windows versions. And on topic - D1 is sold there, and the D1 version on GoG is confirmed to work on all Windows version all the way up to 11.

I mean, of course :P But I don't use it to play games. I loath the tiny phone screen (for gaming), the awful touch controls, and just how uncomfortable it is to hold a phone in ones hands to game for any longer amount of time. Big nope xD
Yup on the GoG thing (they had d1 last i checked btw), and i connect a ps4 controller to my phone.
OP
For me, it works out to have things separate. Otherwise, I will be playing video games when I am supposed to be working.

I've had some luck with GoG. But I'm not about to repay for something I paid for 20 years ago if I still have the discs.

A lot of the stuff I play (mech 2 mercenaries, fallout 1 and 2, for instance) I still have the old discs for and backups of them as well.

For modern games, I mostly like running them on console. For the most part.

Europe PC
...and i connect a ps4 controller to my phone
Yes, that would make it better, but the screen is still tiny and inferior to a proper monitor. Then I'd much rather just play on the PC with the same PS controller (or Xbox controller)... or on a console ;)

I've had so.e luck with GoG. But I'm not about to repay for something I payed for 20 years ago if I still have the discs.
I mean, I get not wanting to pay for something twice. But I don't mind paying a small amount for a re-released version that is ensured to work on modern platforms. Depends on the game. The convenience is worth more to me than a hard Principle, at least for some games. It's not like I do that often, just for some games.

krathkor wrote: 1 month ago
Iron Maiden
You sure maiden was removed on 09? I believe I remember getting my ass handed to me with the barb in Chaos sanct playing that version

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...