Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
19 replies   832 views

Description

So, the one thing I really wanted was a rogue tower mode for post game in diablo 2. (Random dungeon, go down floors. Can't return to the surface. Yolo, The usual kit and kabootle)

Is there a d2 mod that does this?
I did the whole path of diablo thing ages ago. It was fine. Still, didn't provide what I was hoping for.

Never tried path of Exile myself. If it has an infinite dungeon mode I might give it a shot.

I did try meridian a long, long time ago... it was terrible back then, I have no idea what has become.e of it, but I saw that it's still kicking around.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions I am all ears. Thanks again, happy hunting d2r people.

Can be used to make Runewords:

So, the one thing I really wanted was a rogue tower mode for post game in diablo 2. (Random dungeon, go down floors. Can't return to the surface. Yolo, The usual kit and kabootle)

Is there a d2 mod that does this?
I did the whole path of diablo thing ages ago. It was fine. Still, didn't provide what I was hoping for.

Never tried path of Exile myself. If it has an infinite dungeon mode I might give it a shot.

I did try meridian a long, long time ago... it was terrible back then, I have no idea what has become.e of it, but I saw that it's still kicking around.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions I am all ears. Thanks again, happy hunting d2r people.

mhlg 1156

Americas PC
There's no way to predict the kind of game someone may or may not enjoy.

The first Torchlight is a dungeon crawler virtually from beginning to end. Two of its developers Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer, were involved in the development of Diablo and Diablo 2. Some might find it a it cartoonie but it has meaning of the Diablo franchise features

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet, I'm in EST time zone (E Coast U.S)

marl71 116

Americas PC
I imagine that type of setup would require hard coding changes, which is beyond what d2r mods are allowed to do

I'm (still) playing btdiablo mod, which has a 7-level Rift, which is sort of in the Spirit of what you suggest. The mod also has several changes to the game to encourage players to do long MF runs instead of short runs (all hell areas are lvl85, magic find potions that last 20 min, etc.)

They are very open to suggestions on their discord, so worth asking at least
OP
mhlg wrote: 1 month ago
There's no way to predict the kind of game someone may or may not enjoy.

The first Torchlight is a dungeon crawler virtually from beginning to end. Two of its developers Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer, were involved in the development of Diablo and Diablo 2. Some might find it a it cartoonie but it has meaning of the Diablo franchise features
I thinkn i actually have torchlight.
Can't say I played much though. Probably should fire it up.

Oh as far as games I may or may not end up liking, I wouldn't worry about that on my end. I'll probably end up liking any game I haven't beaten, then not liking it once I do.

It's a Pattern that I am fully aware of, sadly.

But suggestions are always welcome. And I totally forgot about torchlight.
OP
marl71 wrote: 1 month ago
I imagine that type of setup would require hard coding changes, which is beyond what d2r mods are allowed to do

I'm (still) playing btdiablo mod, which has a 7-level Rift, which is sort of in the Spirit of what you suggest. The mod also has several changes to the game to encourage players to do long MF runs instead of short runs (all hell areas are lvl85, magic find potions that last 20 min, etc.)

They are very open to suggestions on their discord, so worth asking at least
I vaguely remember that mod, I think. Maybe, maybe not. I'm going to hitnup google and see what I see. Thank you for the advice.

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
So..kill countess. And instead of the post-quest chest being stuck shut it opens a set of stairs to another level down which leads to another level and another and so on and so forth for Infinity. Each level down adds +5 to monster levels. The stairs from countess down close once the first person crosses into the 2nd floor down (to give teams time to all get in). No town portals can be cast beyond
The Countess
stairs.

Now that'd be the kind of random ongoing-challenge change I could get behind! :)

Actually been thinking about something semi-related as a possibly neat idea. I dare say most folks (who are geared with real builds) would agree that TZs are still way too easy. Plus the constant game re-making has always been annoying. As is the "hour wasted on a terrible TZ zone...". So once you clear >80% of a TZ, it triggers a new TZ within the same game in which the mob level goes up another 10-25 from the previous one. Kind of the same concept just across existing zones.

Either way, I'd be curious to see if there ever actually would come a point where mobs get high enough to be a real challenge again. If so, would be fun.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
So..kill countess. And instead of the post-quest chest being stuck shut it opens a set of stairs to another level down which leads to another level and another and so on and so forth for Infinity. Each level down adds +5 to monster levels. The stairs from countess down close once the first person crosses into the 2nd floor down (to give teams time to all get in). No town portals can be cast beyond
The Countess
stairs.

Now that'd be the kind of random ongoing-challenge change I could get behind! :)

Actually been thinking about something semi-related as a possibly neat idea. I dare say most folks (who are geared with real builds) would agree that TZs are still way too easy. Plus the constant game re-making has always been annoying. As is the "hour wasted on a terrible TZ zone...". So once you clear >80% of a TZ, it triggers a new TZ within the same game in which the mob level goes up another 10-25 from the previous one. Kind of the same concept just across existing zones.

Either way, I'd be curious to see if there ever actually would come a point where mobs get high enough to be a real challenge again. If so, would be fun.
💯% exactly what I am talking about.

They could even make it simple and just loop dungeon floors. Plent yhat have stairs down could simply be reworked to make you go to another floorplan that already exists (entire Andy section, pits1, cave1, durance, worldstone, halls of the dead etc)

Opportunity missed.

Suppose they didn't want players playing d2 indefinitely...
OP
Suppose I would settle for respawning enemies..

So.ething as simple as click on bonfire in
Rogue Encampment
to respawn them or even add a consumable to up the level of game world. (Sure, Im ripping off darksouls 2 but whatever)

d2jsp 90

PC
The Countess
stairs.

Mosaic sin +
Life Tap
Wand
+ (

Good day to you partner!
I'm Saul Goodman and I can already tell that I'll be your best friend in this forsaken camp. 🏴‍☠️

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
d2jsp wrote: 1 month ago
The Countess
stairs.

Mosaic sin +
Life Tap
Wand
+ (
Along with plenty of other ways that should get you pretty far down.

But eventually, you should (theoretically) get to a point where things like
Life Tap
won't save you because anything that touches you simply 1shots you and where even something as daft as a Mosaic sin won't just 1-shot everything no matter what. I'd be quite curious to see at what floor/mlvl that would roughly start.

But eventually, you should (theoretically) get to a point where things like
Life Tap
won't save you because anything that touches you simply 1shots you and where even something as daft as a Mosaic sin won't just 1-shot everything no matter what. I'd be quite curious to see at what floor/mlvl that would roughly start.

MrLlamaSC tested it (sort of). And this is exactly what happened. The sin was perfectly safe when all the mobs were frozen... only to be killed eventually by a single hit.
OP
Well, the idea in rogue is you wouldn't be able to retrieve your loot from the dungeon should you die, anyway.

It's quite a bit to risk 2x mosaics.

Regardless, in traditional rogue like dungeons, you would be entering naked (or very close too it anyway). Acquiring mosaics along the way sounds a bit sketchy.
OP
Don't get me wrong, looping infinite dungeon wit Infinity scaling enemy density and level would be lot easier to program than enforcing rogue style naked entrance to the dungeon.

How would you enforce it?
And the way ones loot is encoded to their character would also be an issue.

Still, the actual dungeon should (have been) be a doable thing.

I mean, David was able to get d1 to transition from being turn based to real time in a weekend at the request of blizzard from some accounts. (Though others wrote that it was actually a glitch that he just went along with, such is the Myth anyway. Only he could really tell).

ShadowHeart 2584Moderator

Europe PC
You can enforce no self-looting/corpse-collection on Death by forcing it to be hardcore. Locking the door behind you and preventing town portal are things that already exist in the game (the door back into
The Ancients' Way
from
Arreat Summit
locks behind you, and
Uber Tristram
disables Town Portal). You could still save-and-exit and start over from the top, of course, but only keeping whatever you had on you.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
Other than the infinite levels and related mlvl inflation, all of the underlying mechanics exist. I wouldn't be surprised if the Infinity-chain itself would be easy enough to pull off with existing mechanics as well.

Though I'd whole-heartedly disagree with that entire "no corpse recovery/make it auto-HC" idea. That's..what hardcore is for.
SC is and remains supposed to not be perma-loss. The punishment for Death there would merely be that you won't progress any further and will need to start from scratch in a new game (after recovering your body via rejoining) as the current door is shut and progress hence reset.

Then again, none of that will ever happen anyways.. :)

ShadowHeart 2584Moderator

Europe PC
Though I'd whole-heartedly disagree with that entire "no corpse recovery/make it auto-HC" idea. That's..what hardcore is for.
SC is and remains supposed to not be perma-loss. The punishment for Death there would merely be that you won't progress any further and will need to start from scratch in a new game (after recovering your body via rejoining) as the current door is shut and progress hence reset.
Fair enough - I was basing my reply in part on his mention of roguelikes, and one of the main staples of roguelikes... is permadeath. But yeah, the infinite dungeon concept could obviously work without permadeath of course ;)

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
OP
With or without, not having to close the session and restart in order to continue playing would be bloody nice.

Necrarch 1974Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
The Pits in D4 works pretty much as you say. :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash, my crafts and my many cheap
Annihilus
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 month ago
I gave d4 a shot at launch. What can I say, it was half the reason I play d2r in the first place. Did t quite scratch the itch for me.
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 month ago
But, I mean. If they added rogue gameplay since I left.aybe it's time to dive back in.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation