Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   1541 views

Description

After having just replied to @ShadowHeart in the planned walks topic and considering that the dclone tracker now links to two separate forum topics for upcoming walks that may or may not make that information easy to find, depending on how much other chatter is going on there, I've been thinking:

It'd be great if we had an actual upcoming walks list that select users (mainly those that have proven they can differentiate time zones correctly ;)) can add known upcoming walks to.

This would do two things primarily:
1) It'd replace the two upcoming walk forum links and the by now massive topic(s) about it, resulting in one consolidated place to find walks for all game types in a consistent, easy to read format.

2) It'd to a large extent replace the prior suggestion here for auto-time-
Conversion
as that very much came from a desire to make walk announcement posts easier to read/not need to manually convert all the time.

It'd basically just be a list with the following information for each entry:
- Hardcore/Softcore
- Ladder/Non-Ladder
- Region
- Date
- Time
- Host (ideally not just the name but with the option of entering a stream link if known which would then turn the name into a hyperlink to the stream)

The list would be sorted chronologically from closest upcoming at the top to furthest away at the bottom. Completed walks (walk time < now) would be filtered out but could ideally be toggled on again/viewed separately so we actually have a walk history covered at the same time (if new entry isn't limited by time/future, we can "easily" back-fill that information with all known walks).

Have an "add" button (with restricted access, see above) that allows for entry of a new item with the above information with time for that entry being required in UTC. Have an "edit" button for each one (same restricted access) in case updates are needed (walks do get moved on occasion and the region is often times TBD for quite some time until voted on before the walk).

With this as a custom module, it should then be a lot easier to make that time display localized, converting automatically from UTC to whatever time zone the viewing user has set.

As baller as ShadowHeart's summary posts have become, this would take it to the next level.

Alternate suggestion for the entry restriction for 'add' ('edit' def. needs to be restricted as noted):
Leave it open (not to everyone but at least to older users/users with a minimum of trust) but have those entries be submitted for review before appearing on the list. That way, we can follow up on hints of walks that may otherwise be missed even by us who follow them closely.

Bonus suggestion:
Make the whole thing available in the API! :D

Edit:
Just a quick last thought, knowing how often I've cancelled a forum post because ShadowHeart once again beat me to it while I was typing, the whole thing would ideally include the same feature as the forum and notify you upon submission if someone else submitted a walk while you were entering a new one, just so we can cancel ours and don't keep double-posting them.

Extra edit:
Ok, true last thought this time (maybe), if you want to make it even more convenient for entry, keep a history of prior hosts (including entered stream links!) so they can be directly clicked/selected for new entries (similar to buyer selection from posting users in the closing of a trade). Saves us from re-entering that information each time as the stream typically remains the same for each host but may have to be manually looked up again each time otherwise.
Description by Schnorki

Can be used to make Runewords:

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
After having just replied to @ShadowHeart in the planned walks topic and considering that the dclone tracker now links to two separate forum topics for upcoming walks that may or may not make that information easy to find, depending on how much other chatter is going on there, I've been thinking:

It'd be great if we had an actual upcoming walks list that select users (mainly those that have proven they can differentiate time zones correctly ;)) can add known upcoming walks to.

This would do two things primarily:
1) It'd replace the two upcoming walk forum links and the by now massive topic(s) about it, resulting in one consolidated place to find walks for all game types in a consistent, easy to read format.

2) It'd to a large extent replace the prior suggestion here for auto-time-
Conversion
as that very much came from a desire to make walk announcement posts easier to read/not need to manually convert all the time.

It'd basically just be a list with the following information for each entry:
- Hardcore/Softcore
- Ladder/Non-Ladder
- Region
- Date
- Time
- Host (ideally not just the name but with the option of entering a stream link if known which would then turn the name into a hyperlink to the stream)

The list would be sorted chronologically from closest upcoming at the top to furthest away at the bottom. Completed walks (walk time < now) would be filtered out but could ideally be toggled on again/viewed separately so we actually have a walk history covered at the same time (if new entry isn't limited by time/future, we can "easily" back-fill that information with all known walks).

Have an "add" button (with restricted access, see above) that allows for entry of a new item with the above information with time for that entry being required in UTC. Have an "edit" button for each one (same restricted access) in case updates are needed (walks do get moved on occasion and the region is often times TBD for quite some time until voted on before the walk).

With this as a custom module, it should then be a lot easier to make that time display localized, converting automatically from UTC to whatever time zone the viewing user has set.

As baller as ShadowHeart's summary posts have become, this would take it to the next level.

Alternate suggestion for the entry restriction for 'add' ('edit' def. needs to be restricted as noted):
Leave it open (not to everyone but at least to older users/users with a minimum of trust) but have those entries be submitted for review before appearing on the list. That way, we can follow up on hints of walks that may otherwise be missed even by us who follow them closely.

Bonus suggestion:
Make the whole thing available in the API! :D

Edit:
Just a quick last thought, knowing how often I've cancelled a forum post because ShadowHeart once again beat me to it while I was typing, the whole thing would ideally include the same feature as the forum and notify you upon submission if someone else submitted a walk while you were entering a new one, just so we can cancel ours and don't keep double-posting them.

Extra edit:
Ok, true last thought this time (maybe), if you want to make it even more convenient for entry, keep a history of prior hosts (including entered stream links!) so they can be directly clicked/selected for new entries (similar to buyer selection from posting users in the closing of a trade). Saves us from re-entering that information each time as the stream typically remains the same for each host but may have to be manually looked up again each time otherwise.

Necrarch 1663Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
And be linked from / to the DClone section. :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
OP

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
And be linked from / to the DClone section. :)
Yep. That's what point #1 is. :)
Teeb's added a link to the forum posts to the tracker not too long ago. This would replace those links (and ideally include a link back to the tracker) to interconnect the two.

ShadowHeart 1845Moderator

Europe PC
As I read your reply in the planned walks topic, I liked your suggestion about making a new topic for it where I could just edit the top post, but it also made me think that it would kind of limit it to just myself being able to add/edit walk info. And that led me to exactly the same idea as you just posted here, and I would have posted it later today if you hadn't already gotten to it ;)

I very much second this suggestion, this would make planned walk tracking so much easier. It would be easier to post walks, it would be easier to find walk info, and it would all be inherently consistent, I can't think of any downside really. It would require some dev work by Teebling obviously, something we all know he has limited time for, but hopefully he likes this idea as much as we do and can find the time for it :)

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
OP

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
One extra thought (I won't even claim it's the last one anymore.. :P):
Allow for entry/selection of more than one host at a time (each hyperlinked to their own stream). After all, we do regularly have collaboration walks from multiple streamers/groups and should in such a case not give credit to just one of them.
Bump

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...