diablo2.io is supported by ads
12 replies   3645 views

Description

Hi All - hoping to get your opinions

I have been enjoying my first time running a
Frenzy
Barb during this ladder. I recently came across a
Cham
rune and really want to make one of the new 2.4 runewords for a Merc.
Should I go Plague (combo with Lawbringer) on an A5 Merc or a Mist on an A1 Merc??? I'm not looking for perfect run times, just enjoy trying out new builds and combos - can't decide which would be more fun.

Thanks!

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi All - hoping to get your opinions

I have been enjoying my first time running a
Frenzy
Barb during this ladder. I recently came across a
Cham
rune and really want to make one of the new 2.4 runewords for a Merc.
Should I go Plague (combo with Lawbringer) on an A5 Merc or a Mist on an A1 Merc??? I'm not looking for perfect run times, just enjoy trying out new builds and combos - can't decide which would be more fun.

Thanks!

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Plague will seriously get on your nerves, calling that now. ;)

The lower res proc will do you no real good as a
Frenzy
barb so all it does is overwrite your Lawbringer's
Decrepify
and hence annoy the hell out of you everytime it procs. If it weren't for that though, Plague is actually pretty good!
Except in your case, as a barb, if you have
Find Item
it'll annoy you even more as the freeze means your merc blows up corpses and you won't be able to hork them anymore.

Mist is in itself not bad I suppose though personally I don't see a single constellation where one may want to use that over alternative merc setups. Though the
Pierce
might give you some nice control if you use it on a cold merc.

So yeah, if your heart is set on making and using one, I would say Mist. But be aware that it will more likely than not make your performance worse than Lawbringer alone since the conc won't outweigh decrep.
just a quick question, doesn't "slain monsters rest in Peace" mean he can't hork those corpses anyway?

All Prices Negotiable :-)

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
Seamus McNugget wrote: 1 year ago
just a quick question, doesn't "slain monsters rest in Peace" mean he can't hork those corpses anyway?
It does means he can't hork those corpses.

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Seamus McNugget wrote: 1 year ago
Yes and no.
Slain RIP applies on merc killing blow only if I'm not completely misremembering things whereas the freeze lasts for a bit and gives you yourself a chance to also blow them up.
I’m having this same dilemma, though I’m playing a Riftsin.

The plan was to make Plague for an Act V merc to proc
Lower Resist
, but now that I’ve traded for the
Cham
, it’s tempting to try out an Act I merc with Mist, just for the amount of control from all that piercing cold. Mist would probably be overkill on the cold though, with all the orbs flying about…
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Plague will seriously get on your nerves, calling that now. ;)

The lower res proc will do you no real good as a
Frenzy
barb so all it does is overwrite your Lawbringer's
Decrepify
and hence annoy the hell out of you everytime it procs. If it weren't for that though, Plague is actually pretty good!
Except in your case, as a barb, if you have
Find Item
it'll annoy you even more as the freeze means your merc blows up corpses and you won't be able to hork them anymore.

Mist is in itself not bad I suppose though personally I don't see a single constellation where one may want to use that over alternative merc setups. Though the
Pierce
might give you some nice control if you use it on a cold merc.

So yeah, if your heart is set on making and using one, I would say Mist. But be aware that it will more likely than not make your performance worse than Lawbringer alone since the conc won't outweigh decrep.

You hit it right on the head there dude! I agree that realistically, A2 merc still reigns supreme when it comes to overall benefit. I've just become a bit jaded to only using the one merc and just try some new combos. I appreciate your response, I had not thought about the
Lower Resist
canceling out the
Decrepify
... which truly negates the main benefit I wanted from the A5 merc in having that combo; you're right that would be so annoying when trying to kill Physical immunes!

Zelym 123

Paladin Europe PC
If you want something different, you should try A5 Frenzy merc with 2x
Eth
Crescent Moon or
Eth
Crescent Moon +
Eth
Lawbringer.
And if you like this setup, you'll want to give your merc
Eth
'
Cham
'
Arreat's Face
+ Fortitude so... that's one possible use for your
Cham
OP
Zelym wrote: 1 year ago
Eth
Crescent Moon or
Eth
Crescent Moon +
Eth
Lawbringer.
Eth
'
Cham
'
Arreat's Face
Cham

Thank you for this - was considering the arreats face for the merc but had not considered the Crescent Moon. I will for sure look into this!
Zelym wrote: 1 year ago
Eth
Crescent Moon or
Eth
Crescent Moon +
Eth
Lawbringer.
Eth
'
Cham
'
Arreat's Face
Cham
If d2planner is correct you dont need 2x of the same weapon to get the damage. Not sure how it works with ctc.

I am using Act5 merc with Plague on my Java since I dont have an Infinity or Griffons. It is somewhat of a janky infinty replacement which speeds up my cow clear times in p5/p7. Also, he does not die that easily compared to Act2 merc with the same head and body armor.
Anonimas wrote: 1 year ago
If d2planner is correct you dont need 2x of the same weapon to get the damage. Not sure how it works with ctc.
I know that was true a while ago, but I thought Bliz fixed that recently.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
Winterkill wrote: 1 year ago
Is there a specific patch that mentioned the fix?

On another subject it is possible to break
Uber Mephisto
lightning immunity with Plague, so you can do ubers with Java. Once I get 3x3 keys set I might try it.
Winterkill wrote: 1 year ago
Is there a specific patch that mentioned the fix?

On another subject it is possible to break
Uber Mephisto
lightning immunity with Plague, so you can do ubers with Java. Once I get 3x3 keys set I might try it.
It is not mentioned in the patch notes that I can see. I found what I remembered reading though. A YouTube video about the
Frenzy
Merc by MacroBoiBoi talked about the 'only need 1 weapon' thing, then in an edited video description says, "DISCLAIMER: THEY FIXED THE ONE WEAPON BUG AND THE MERC NO LONGER USES 1 WEAPON IN BOTH HANDS!" So, I could totally be wrong, but that's what I was basing it on.

Also, ooo Jav vs Ubers could be really fun. I'm interested to know how it goes.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation