Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
15 replies   4585 views

planning on Uber(softcore) for the first time, got some questions

No data yet

Description

1. do portals disappear if you don't finish them in one run? for example, you only take down
Uber Duriel
and the exit the game, do the rest of the portals despawn next time you enter the game, or if you die on taking one of the minor uber boss and want to try for the next game, do they despawn?

same for
Uber Tristram
, can you leave the portal open for the current game then exit, will it despawn in the next game or stay there until you finish the big 3?

2. what's the best strategy for summoner necro, I'm level 93, very well geared with Enigma and all that, I have Insight
Iron Golem
, my merc is not particularly godly geared but he is all right with upped and socketed
Hone Sundan
, g face and Duress, I also have cta off hand, I've heard to take on big D and
Baal
first then handle Meph as he is the toughest? will you normally just do divide and conquer? will my current setup suffice or it can be tough?

Can be used to make Runewords:

1. do portals disappear if you don't finish them in one run? for example, you only take down
Uber Duriel
and the exit the game, do the rest of the portals despawn next time you enter the game, or if you die on taking one of the minor uber boss and want to try for the next game, do they despawn?

same for
Uber Tristram
, can you leave the portal open for the current game then exit, will it despawn in the next game or stay there until you finish the big 3?

2. what's the best strategy for summoner necro, I'm level 93, very well geared with Enigma and all that, I have Insight
Iron Golem
, my merc is not particularly godly geared but he is all right with upped and socketed
Hone Sundan
, g face and Duress, I also have cta off hand, I've heard to take on big D and
Baal
first then handle Meph as he is the toughest? will you normally just do divide and conquer? will my current setup suffice or it can be tough?

moot11 117

Americas PC
if you make a new game the portal will be gone.
I would make a game with password so you can leave if you die in bad spot and rejoin he same game. don't wait long! empty games dont last that long.

definitely divide and conqour.
I like to do meph first before the others spawn many extra demons to deal with.

go to
River of Flame
and try to get Urdars or oblivion knights as resurecteds.
then tele stomp on the boss.
I remember necro being a pretty tough way to do the ubers, but its been many years

moot11 117

Americas PC
you can always post here and ask for someone to unf#@k your game if it does go bad.
try to keep the fight away from the portal! (tp doesnt work in UT)
OP
moot11 wrote: 2 years ago
you can always post here and ask for someone to unf#@k your game if it does go bad.
try to keep the fight away from the portal! (tp doesnt work in UT)
would you elaborate a bit more on tp doesn't work in UT, I don't think you are referring 'tp' as '
Teleport
' right?

moot11 117

Americas PC
No town portals in
Tristram

Schnorki 3023Moderator

PC
Portals are tied solely to the game and not to your character or account. That means four important things for you:

1) You can leave the game and rejoin the same game without losing portals. They stay open in that game for as long as the game itself is still open. They also stay open after everything in them is killed, meaning you can't complete a second torch run in the same game but need to make a new game for that one.

2) You cannot leave the game and make a new game/join a different game, expecting the portals to still be there. They'll stay in the old game but they will not suddenly pop up in new games. Regardless of how many of the ubers you may or may not have killed in the original game.

3) Opening more than one portal in the same game guarantees a different portal because you can't have the same portal twice in the same game. That's why the accepted recommendation is to not bother going after any mini ubers until you have 3 full
Key
sets to make sure you can do all three in the same game.

4) The above does NOT apply across different games. So if you open 1 portal in your original game and say kill
Duriel
and then switch to a different game to open the second portal, you could actually end up with
Duriel
again. That'd leave you with multiple copies of the same organ but missing the others, meaning you can no longer get your torch with just 3
Key
sets in total. You could get lucky and still get 3 different ones because the order is random but across different games it is neither guaranteed nor all too likely, leading back to the same recommendation noted above.

With regards to strategy, in simplest, very generalized terms you want crushing blow and survivability. An upped
Hone Sundan
actually isn't even a bad budget choice for that. Though in your case, survivability of the merc may become a bit of an issue, mainly because his res against meph will likely just get him killed in no time. That remains to be tested. The others are a fair bit easier to survive in general. In terms of revives, Urdars are typically your top choice not only because they're fairly tanky but also because they bring their own crushing blow. Not essential..but preferred.

Personally, I would recommend doing Meph first but that's ultimately a matter of preference. The main reason I'm saying that is because he is easier (more forgiving) to pull by himself, just by going in from the top. Because of that, even if one of your summons runs in too close, you still have a good bit of wiggle room before the other two come charging at you. Pull him out to the top left, not only to keep him away from the other two but also to get him away from the portal (i.e. don't go top right) so that if something does go wrong, you can safely go back inside and try again.

And finally, if you aren't sure if you can do it yet, just reach out here. There's typically a few folks able and willing to help out for free if needed (including myself if I'm on and you're on PC). That way, if for some reason you can't do it yet or can only do parts, you at least won't lose your keys and can still get your torch before gearing up some more and trying again.
OP
any budget choice for merc to drastically increasing the survivability while still keeping at least some of the damage and CB other than getting Infinity and Fortitude?

I looked around that quite a few folks have no problem with their merc's Obedience+ Duress+g face/andy visage/
Tal
Mask
which are very similar to my merc (have all of these as well), and I will have my
Skeleton
army(14) as well as revives (in this case those big guys with CB), so as long as I carefully reposition my summons and keep a close eye on merc and
Iron Golem
I think I might be just fine, let's see how it goes

Schnorki 3023Moderator

PC
You could pre-proc a Treachery.
As long as i am online i will help you if you need to get the ubers down - just whisp
I am regularly running ubers with my friend who has a summoner necro (i play as Fury druid or
Frenzy
barb), and if i could give you an advice based on our experience, i noticed a big difference since we got the runes to craft a Beast for him. That gives a great boost to all the army, quite expensive word but personally i think it is totally worth it, even if it lacks + skills.

Sweet Lovely Death
Just waiting for your breath
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
OP
lol guys not going well at all, I screwed up a lot at the beginning now the portal is inundated by the spawns, I almost got meph several times but then always got overwhelmed by the endless spawn around him not a single chance for me now, if anyone's still available I could pay a little reward afterwards
I'm still in the game msg me for name and password
sent you a pm if you still need help
OP
FanciestCrab wrote: 2 years ago
thanks for your help, that was awesome I hadn't spotted d and
Baal
and you had already finished them, now I realized I still lack in gears for the merc, and I was never this nervous in D2 before, that was definitely a tough run for me, if anyone was interested, I tried several times wasted a couple of revives mobs with CB still couldn't finish Meph, I didn't even tough D and
Baal
cuz I wanted to do Meph first, ended up got my ass handled several times, didn't die once but my summon army was wiped cleaned several times, mostly got trapped by his minions, just couldn't finish last shot, had I separate him from his minion, things would be easier but I also fucked up at the beginning by polluting the portal

a big thank to FanciestCrab's free service , what a champion, no question asked, jumped right in, top stuff!

Schnorki 3023Moderator

PC
weegee wrote: 2 years ago
Baal
and you had already finished them, now I realized I still lack in gears for the merc, and I was never this nervous in D2 before, that was definitely a tough run for me, if anyone was interested, I tried several times wasted a couple of revives mobs with CB still couldn't finish Meph, I didn't even tough D and
Baal
cuz I wanted to do Meph first, ended up got my ass handled several times, didn't die once but my summon army was wiped cleaned several times, mostly got trapped by his minions, just couldn't finish last shot, had I separate him from his minion, things would be easier but I also fucked up at the beginning by polluting the portal

a big thank to FanciestCrab's free service , what a champion, no question asked, jumped right in, top stuff!
For future reference:
If your problem is the minions, you can use disabling curses (
Terror
Dim Vision
, ...) to render them useless. Since those curses don't work on bosses, they also won't override what you have on meph. Though your mobs will still go after them, which would blow, unless you have an Enigma ready and can just telestomp meph with them. Alternatively,
Naj's Puzzler
or a tele neck make for a cheap interim solution if you don't have Enigma yet.
Ubers on Summoner is always hard compared to smiter f. E.

U need godly gear and a ton of crushing blow revives that kill entire
Tristram
before despawning.

GL on that. Without Enigma I would not even try to clear it in time :)

Stay a while and listen
weegee wrote: 2 years ago
Baal
Baal

Happy to help! Still embarrassing to die because of a skele archer on the portal after the mana drain hit me >.< Good team effort :-)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...