Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   2941 views

Description

Ok, so I got bored of my Hammerdin this season as he is having the worst of luck. I have not been able to find anything to get him close to getting an Enigma. Finally dropped a
Lo
rune in Act 5 Nightmare, so I was like sweet, I can upgrade his smiter gear from a Black to a Grief. But then I remember all these posts of Horkers getting HR's left and right on Trav runs, so I drank the cool-aid and made a Berserker Horker. Was going to make a Singer, but Zerker seemed like the ultimate MF build.

First question, how do you keep counts of your runs? Is there an app for that? I'm 3-4 days in, 3-4 hours per day, maybe about 2 minutes per run. I'm guessing I've done around 250 runs. Best rune is a
Shael
, did get 2 cat's eye ammys, and a Reaper's Tool. The council doesn't seem to drop hardly any Runes, is this normal?

My drops are mostly blues, a few yellows, some White titles and maybe every 20th run a unique shows up. Maybe a rune pops every 50th run or so.

Gear: Grief, Rhyme shield, PTopaz
Shako
, Wealth Armor,
Laying of Hands
, 2x's Dwarf Stars, TGod's
Belt
Infernostride
Boots
, Highlord's Ammy, Barb Torch, Anni, and Gheeds. = 252% MF and 727%GF
Swap for Horking: 1 dual
Ist
'd Ali Baba and 1 clean Ali Baba = 461% MF and 1112% GF

Find Item
is Base 9, 17 with BO /
Find Potion
is Base 7, 15 with BO for a 56% chance to
Find Item

Not running a Merc as he dies all the time. Still waiting to get Guardians and Kira's.

I know most of you are going to say do more runs.

Is my set up ok? Do I need more or less MF for HR drops? I know the answer should be "0" MF for Runes.

Has anyone tested a "0" MF Horker vs: a 400+ MF Horker?

As for the gold, i've been gambling Cornets, not too much luck yet.

Oh and he's level 87, should I level him more?

Any opinions, suggestions much appreciated. My main goal is to get
Jah
/
Ber
for an Enigma.
Description by zippyzon

Can be used to make Runewords:

Ok, so I got bored of my Hammerdin this season as he is having the worst of luck. I have not been able to find anything to get him close to getting an Enigma. Finally dropped a
Lo
rune in Act 5 Nightmare, so I was like sweet, I can upgrade his smiter gear from a Black to a Grief. But then I remember all these posts of Horkers getting HR's left and right on Trav runs, so I drank the cool-aid and made a Berserker Horker. Was going to make a Singer, but Zerker seemed like the ultimate MF build.

First question, how do you keep counts of your runs? Is there an app for that? I'm 3-4 days in, 3-4 hours per day, maybe about 2 minutes per run. I'm guessing I've done around 250 runs. Best rune is a
Shael
, did get 2 cat's eye ammys, and a Reaper's Tool. The council doesn't seem to drop hardly any Runes, is this normal?

My drops are mostly blues, a few yellows, some White titles and maybe every 20th run a unique shows up. Maybe a rune pops every 50th run or so.

Gear: Grief, Rhyme shield, PTopaz
Shako
, Wealth Armor,
Laying of Hands
, 2x's Dwarf Stars, TGod's
Belt
Infernostride
Boots
, Highlord's Ammy, Barb Torch, Anni, and Gheeds. = 252% MF and 727%GF
Swap for Horking: 1 dual
Ist
'd Ali Baba and 1 clean Ali Baba = 461% MF and 1112% GF

Find Item
is Base 9, 17 with BO /
Find Potion
is Base 7, 15 with BO for a 56% chance to
Find Item

Not running a Merc as he dies all the time. Still waiting to get Guardians and Kira's.

I know most of you are going to say do more runs.

Is my set up ok? Do I need more or less MF for HR drops? I know the answer should be "0" MF for Runes.

Has anyone tested a "0" MF Horker vs: a 400+ MF Horker?

As for the gold, i've been gambling Cornets, not too much luck yet.

Oh and he's level 87, should I level him more?

Any opinions, suggestions much appreciated. My main goal is to get
Jah
/
Ber
for an Enigma.

Please post a trade offer before sending me a friend request.
I'm in the PST time zone, typically available anywhere from 7am to 10pm

Bisu 364

PC
MF value should not impact rune drops. Seeing you are aiming for HRs, really the answer is to do more runs, as you have already heard.

The expected payoff rate is ~1900 runs per
Ber
or equivalent.
OP
Bisu wrote: 1 year ago
MF value should not impact rune drops. Seeing you are aiming for HRs, really the answer is to do more runs, as you have already heard.

The expected payoff rate is ~1900 runs per
Ber
or equivalent.
Thanks Bisu, I figured that's the answer, I just want to make sure my set up is ok or if there is anything i'm doing wrong. I did get a
Hel
Rune to drop in the last few minutes, getting higher on the scale :)

One important point is that the 'ideal' player count to do Trav is p3. Assuming you're playing online, that's not realistically achievable since Trav runs are so short. I bring this up just to say that with only 56% item find and p1, the drops are going to be much worse. Still worthwhile imo, but it won't be quite as fast as others may describe.

My suggestion would be to crank
Find Item
% to 70%. Getting that 14% increase to hork chance will make a huge difference. I don't remember exactly how the mechanic works, but if I recall correctly, successful horks pull more items out of the council minions than they naturally drop at p1. If I'm remembering that wrong, the point remains that increasing hork chance does a lot of good in Trav imo. Also, Trav isn't particularly dangerous, so you can take some points out of shouts to increase
Find Item
if needed. My barb is a WW and
Berserk
split with 70% item find and never dies on p1. This isn't a build suggestion as much as an observation that on low difficulties Barb survivability is good enough you can split your skills points fairly thin and still be fine.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
I switched to a dedicated Trav zerker once I could afford CoH + Grief +
Cham
for an
Arreat's Face
in season 1. My takeaway from the experience:
1. Trav zerker is among the least boring builds in the game.
2. Gold farming is useless and annoying to manage.
3. Magic find doesn't matter in
Travincal
. You'll find a unique ring/amulet/jewel roughly every 50 runs either way.
4. Overstacked resistances (including max physical) are king for consistent runs, allowing you to ignore
Conviction
/Fana/Might/Amp Damage and combinations thereof entirely.
Teleport
is useless.
Teleport
charges are straight up counter-productive because of
Hratli
's awful positioning. Just
Leap
. ™
6. Merc is unnecessary.

You're hunting magic jewels and charms as much as you're hunting runes in
Travincal
. An occasional rare pair of
Boots
or a unique, and especially gold piles, are detractors from your main purpose farming
Travincal
: kill quick, hork quick, scan quick, repeat.

P.S. Following up what Winterkill said. You can quite realistically achieve 75%
Find Item
Find Item
does generate more items because it bypasses nodrop, so on a successful hork, the monster will drop the maximum number of items that it can drop, unlike its on-Death drops.
OP
Thanks for the tips, I will probably reset my skills and get that 75% item find. I just had a decent run. Dropped a
Shako
from the council kill and a
Cham
from a trash mob hork. Will take the advice and use the
Cham
in an Arreat's.

Congrats on the drops!

As for your shield, I personally recommend
Stormshield
socketed with whatever (eventually, with a
Ber
). Don't bother with six-
Ist
and six-
Lem
crystal swords/phase blades. You want to kill quickly and reliably. As I said, magic find is useless in
Travincal
, and gold find is Sisyphean labor.
Just keep at it, zippy. My Travi Horker hast 75%
Find Item
, did about 1000 Travi runs. One
Ohm
, one
Vex
, one
Ist
is all I got. At one point the luck will change. Collect and upgrade the PG you find. 12
Perfect Amethyst
you can trade for an
Ist
. I got 15
Ist
just from collecting the pg on my runs...

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
The only decent thing I ever found from council was an occasional SoJ, despite horking it with my 2nd barb already... This game perfectly knows I'm tryin to farm it, and does it's everything to prevent me from finding nice crap - thus forcing my trading efforts instead 😬
Besides, I just got no patience for thousands of runs - after 2-3 dosens I'm bored af.

Buut... when I visit some random tz, I can occasionally hork something I never expected. 2 last examples were Mang Song from some unique cadaver, and
Cham
from regular ghost in tower. So basically, game says: "just play me, don't farm me - and you'll have something"

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
As for
Find Item
- yes, It's awesome at online solo bc when % rolls, no-drop is ignored. That's why council is horka's no.1 choice 🙂
That means - just max your WW, mastery, BO and
Find Potion
, puttin the rest to
Find Item
. (1pt of zerk is also a must for any barb)
Also - even if you avoid usin Ravenfrost, Chammin your arreat/
Shako
/ss (or just use trang
Belt
), there are still chillin armors at both fortitudes - your and merc's. Annoys as well, in fact (thinking to try CoH's for the cause instead)
Faster Run Walk, as much as you can get, running through town each run adds a lot of time. As said before aim for 70% Item Find. Also don't overlook faster cast rate. I ended up using 1 Ali Baba and 1 Spirit sword on switch for my trav barb. Having item find cast faster really helped speed up the horking. Fortitude also gives faster cast rate and of course the 300% ED. Last season I only found 3 high runes in trav before I got bored of the location. I found a similar amount of value in uniques thanks to finding things like maras and 5/5 facets. Some MF % is good, but you don't need a ton. I think I had around 200% MF on switch with ali baba.
OP
Just curious, it's been a few days since I brought up this topic. You say to
Cham
the Arreat's, why not
Cham
the
Stormshield
and Ptopaz the Arreat's? I was debating
Shako
+Rhyme vs Arreats+
Stormshield
Shako
Rhyme gives you more MF+GF whereas Arreats++
Stormshield
gives you more kill/survivability. Or I could do
Shako
plus
Cham
'd
Stormshield
... hmmm

I second what Asha said about maxing WW. Zerker with shield is good, but WW with dual weapons is much better overall IMO. And
Cham
+
Shako
is best for
Helm
if you like the extra MF, otherwise Arreats +
Cham
is a powerful choice if you dont care much for MF and just want fastest rune drops. Or even a perfect +3 rolled
Demonhorn's Edge
if you can find one (might help hit an IAS breakpoint). I managed to buy one for
Ohm
+
Vex
a few months ago.

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.

Nate 527

Switch
As another option, have you tried your hammerdin at trav? The difference is he can’t hork, but he should be able to handle much higher player levels at speed. My dedicated horker is level 92 and can do players 5, but he doesn’t compare to how fast my hammerdin steam-rolls players 7. The higher players level sees much more runes.

I do use Enigma, but you wouldn’t have to use it if you have the
Charge
skill and your hammers do decent damage (I think over 10k is sufficient)
Nate wrote: 1 year ago
As another option, have you tried your hammerdin at trav? The difference is he can’t hork, but he should be able to handle much higher player levels at speed. My dedicated horker is level 92 and can do players 5, but he doesn’t compare to how fast my hammerdin steam-rolls players 7. The higher players level sees much more runes.

I do use Enigma, but you wouldn’t have to use it if you have the
Charge
skill and your hammers do decent damage (I think over 10k is sufficient)
The whole advantage of horking in trav is you get the same results from horking on P1 vs P8. With a barb I'm even doubtful it's worth going to P5 since the kill speed is slower and you wouldn't be increasing the loot that much. I advocate for P1 horking in trav, P3 if it isn't slowing you down and you have some great gear. Any other class can probably find better areas to run/needs a high player count combined with GG gear to get similar results to a hork barb on P1.

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
Thinking about best gear for the cause... My barb uses SS, so I'm not considering dual, or 2h- setups. Any Grief roll - pb easily hits 4fpa WW, other weapons demand a bit extra IAS, but no problems with that either (I use CB atm).
Chest is COH - it's bonuses outweight that 300%ed forti has - and no chill procs. We're here for 100% bodies 😎
Best glove is LoH - 20 ias and 350%dmg demons is unbeatable here.
Belt
- why not trang? This way we don't need chamming our gear, and some hard life/mana is there
Gore Rider
Boots
for some crush - or travs if a bit more mf is desired. I chose gores.
Highlord - if more ias is needed (CS Grief, for example), otherwise any 2barb/mara/3wc amu is just fine.
2x bk rings, or bk + carrion (my choice - always loved carrion at my non-casters, never regretted it).
Head: instead of default arreat, decent halaberd could be used as well. Shacko for green condom adepts, or some 3wc+mods barb
Helm
, whatever.
What else... swap, ofc. 3 options there:
1) 2x heart carvers. +8 find, but slow hork, and nothing else.
2) 2x hoto's - fast hork, +6all. This is exactly where to put your hoto's 30-31 roll xD
3) cta 3-3-x + hoto - +7/(+8 with command) all, thicker azz - my personal choice.

And merc - he just needs to survive in any armor, other than forti (no chillin!) Treachery, whatever. Arm him with decent insite, and
Ral
'd andy / thief
Crown

See if you can up your current
Find Item
skill with extra warcry GC('s).
Gheed
isn't needed, imo.

rikus 126

Amazon Americas PC
iamergo wrote: 1 year ago
Find Item
does generate more items because it bypasses nodrop, so on a successful hork, the monster will drop the maximum number of items that it can drop, unlike its on-Death drops.
Huh?
Isn’t that the same as Death drop? Where is that info from?

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...