Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
28 replies   11276 views
2

Description

Want a merc that can actually survive stuff like trav, choas, and
Baal
runs while maxing out your fire res and giving you a level 37+
Enchant
? Act 3 fire merc! He also takes out anything that’s not fire immune. I was curious how it would pair with my pure
Frenzy
barb, and I am very impressed - I’ll bet you’ll be too!

Pros:
level 37+
Enchant
- adds loads of ar, so no extra points needed in dex beyond min to wear gear for max chance to hit, adds a bit of dmg too,
Resist Fire
aura - no need to get fire res from gear, and can free up a ring slot from
Dwarf Star
for something better
ranged fire attack - gets those pesky enemies that stray away from your melee character, his
Fireball
does ~3.5k damage which is actually not bad
Ranged merc ai - stays away from actual danger and doesn’t seem to agro monsters,
It’s fun!

Cons:
Cost: At least
Vex
needed - Flickering Flame is a requirement, I bet Dragon and coh armour would also help, but I’m not there yet so a Lionheart works just as well
Pure fire dmg - if it’s fire immune, this guy won’t help

Gear: note +sorc skills won’t work on this guy, has to be +fire or +all skills to up his spells
Helm
- Flickering Flame (+3 fire skills)
Weapon -
Hexfire
(+3 fire skills), could use something +3 all skills, but I’m not putting my hoto on a merc
Shield - Spirit (+2 all skills), are there any +3 fire skills shields out there?
Armour - Lionheart (+strength & res), chains of honour (+2 skills, res and strength), Dragon (
Holy Fire
aura - but wow I’m ssf offline, so that’s too expensive for me)

So who’s this merc for? He definitely adds value to a melee char (trav running barbs I’m looking at you!) especially one that isn’t hurting for a might/
Fanaticism
aura. Also if your looking to augment your damage with fire and don’t need a mana aura, then yea he’ll help too. But if your a necro, hammerdin, fire sorc, or fire Druid, there’s probably better options.

Is it worth a
Vex
? Not over other useful rune words like hoto/Exile, but if you already have those and a spare
Vex
, then I’d say yes it’s worth it.

Try it out! Let me know what you think!

Also if someone can try this with a Dragon armour I’d be interested in the results!

Good luck
Description by Nate
5

Can be used to make Runewords:

7
User avatar

Nate 552

Switch
Want a merc that can actually survive stuff like trav, choas, and
Baal
runs while maxing out your fire res and giving you a level 37+
Enchant
? Act 3 fire merc! He also takes out anything that’s not fire immune. I was curious how it would pair with my pure
Frenzy
barb, and I am very impressed - I’ll bet you’ll be too!

Pros:
level 37+
Enchant
- adds loads of ar, so no extra points needed in dex beyond min to wear gear for max chance to hit, adds a bit of dmg too,
Resist Fire
aura - no need to get fire res from gear, and can free up a ring slot from
Dwarf Star
for something better
ranged fire attack - gets those pesky enemies that stray away from your melee character, his
Fireball
does ~3.5k damage which is actually not bad
Ranged merc ai - stays away from actual danger and doesn’t seem to agro monsters,
It’s fun!

Cons:
Cost: At least
Vex
needed - Flickering Flame is a requirement, I bet Dragon and coh armour would also help, but I’m not there yet so a Lionheart works just as well
Pure fire dmg - if it’s fire immune, this guy won’t help

Gear: note +sorc skills won’t work on this guy, has to be +fire or +all skills to up his spells
Helm
- Flickering Flame (+3 fire skills)
Weapon -
Hexfire
(+3 fire skills), could use something +3 all skills, but I’m not putting my hoto on a merc
Shield - Spirit (+2 all skills), are there any +3 fire skills shields out there?
Armour - Lionheart (+strength & res), chains of honour (+2 skills, res and strength), Dragon (
Holy Fire
aura - but wow I’m ssf offline, so that’s too expensive for me)

So who’s this merc for? He definitely adds value to a melee char (trav running barbs I’m looking at you!) especially one that isn’t hurting for a might/
Fanaticism
aura. Also if your looking to augment your damage with fire and don’t need a mana aura, then yea he’ll help too. But if your a necro, hammerdin, fire sorc, or fire Druid, there’s probably better options.

Is it worth a
Vex
? Not over other useful rune words like hoto/Exile, but if you already have those and a spare
Vex
, then I’d say yes it’s worth it.

Try it out! Let me know what you think!

Also if someone can try this with a Dragon armour I’d be interested in the results!

Good luck
7
Well. I want to see how he performs with a Tesladin.

Relax and have fun!
7
I was considering running one with my planned bladesin. Im missing just Phoenix which seems essential. AR is huge boost, fire damage is handy and i can use atmas scarab to break physical immunes
7
User avatar

Schnorki 3326Moderator

PC
Just out of curiosity, what lvl is your merc to get him to 3.5k fireballs?

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.
7
OP
User avatar

Nate 552

Switch
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago
Just out of curiosity, what lvl is your merc to get him to 3.5k fireballs?
85, yea sry I should have mentioned that!
7
User avatar

Schnorki 3326Moderator

PC
That's...lower than expected actually.

Might have to give him another closer look. Albeit only for a couple of very specific builds, if at all.

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.
7

 Deleted User 632 0

 Guest
guess + 3
Enchant
/
Fireball
Ormus' Robes
would be nice or 2 set bonus Trang-Oul's Avatar.
7
hmm hmm... this could be good with a tesladin indeed.

you would lose the +10 to skills and go down to +3, but you could push the fire aura even further to 44 with Hand of Justice if I'm not mistaken :thinking:
might go boom indeed as the Hand of Justice also reduces fire res. nice.

Image
Image
7
User avatar

Khegan 384

They're still outclassed by every other merc, but I admit that the
Enchant
is very convenient. Ran one with a Fanat zealot + Baranar's on switch — handled non-undead immunes nicely.

In case anyone is wondering: Oskills have the same restriction for mercs as they do for players; they're capped to +3 on native skills.
7
User avatar

Schnorki 3326Moderator

PC
Crispin wrote: 2 years ago
hmm hmm... this could be good with a tesladin indeed.

you would lose the +10 to skills and go down to +3, but you could push the fire aura even further to 44 with Hand of Justice if I'm not mistaken :thinking:
might go boom indeed as the Hand of Justice also reduces fire res. nice.
Keep in mind that your merc won't have any
Fire Mastery
or synergies to push that
Holy Fire
so it really isn't worth it, sadly.

The
Enchant
is certainly interesting though.

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.
7
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago
Crispin wrote: 2 years ago
hmm hmm... this could be good with a tesladin indeed.

you would lose the +10 to skills and go down to +3, but you could push the fire aura even further to 44 with Hand of Justice if I'm not mistaken :thinking:
might go boom indeed as the Hand of Justice also reduces fire res. nice.
Keep in mind that your merc won't have any
Fire Mastery
or synergies to push that
Holy Fire
so it really isn't worth it, sadly.

The
Enchant
is certainly interesting though.
is the aura so weak? even on 44?

Image
Image
7
User avatar

Schnorki 3326Moderator

PC
Kind of, yeah. At that point, the AoE is fairly pointless (<100) and the attack dmg bonus (still <600) is never used on an A3 merc anyways.

Also just took a closer look (assuming maxroll isn't too far off on that one):
Pushing
Enchant
well past 40 really isn't that hard. However, even with the theoretically massive AR boost that offers, it doesn't really do that much in the end, solely because the % AR is flat added to other % AR boni you already have, resulting in a relatively small overall increase (2-3% hit against DClone for the builds I looked at). By comparison, an A1's
Inner Sight
, A5's
Battle Cry
or even (if you have it) an A2's Infinity perform worlds better in the end as they actually drop target def which makes a much, much bigger difference.

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.
7
OP
User avatar

Nate 552

Switch
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago
Kind of, yeah. At that point, the AoE is fairly pointless (<100) and the attack dmg bonus (still <600) is never used on an A3 merc anyways.

Also just took a closer look (assuming maxroll isn't too far off on that one):
Pushing
Enchant
well past 40 really isn't that hard. However, even with the theoretically massive AR boost that offers, it doesn't really do that much in the end, solely because the % AR is flat added to other % AR boni you already have, resulting in a relatively small overall increase (2-3% hit against DClone for the builds I looked at). By comparison, an A1's
Inner Sight
, A5's
Battle Cry
or even (if you have it) an A2's Infinity perform worlds better in the end as they actually drop target def which makes a much, much bigger difference.
Excellent points! Eventually I do want to get an act 1 with Faith and Infinity with act 2, and a crazy good
Battle Cry
(did not consider this before), but those take much more high runes than are currently available to me. But for a
Vex
, I’m having some good fun!

Also I want to thank everyone for their comments, you’ve all been very helpful and friendly! The posts on this forum make me think people can be mature enough to respectfully use the internet after all!
7
User avatar

Schnorki 3326Moderator

PC
Nate wrote: 2 years ago
The posts on this forum make me think people can be mature enough to respectfully use the internet after all!
It's a trap!

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.
7
User avatar

Zelym 124

Paladin Europe PC
This is the merc I used during the 2 pre-ladder weeks with a MA assassin build (C/S
Phoenix Strike
with Phoenix), mainly for his
Enchant
. I thought I was the only one using him until now ^^'
He upped my normal attack to around 10k AR and while his overall damage was not great, it was really noticeable against a few annoying low fire res monsters like Gloams.

Pros
- You don't need to keep him alive. Lvl40+
Enchant
is easy to reach and last around 20 minutes. Nice for ubers.
- Opens up a lot of possibilities for melee builds, even those who don't usually struggle with AR (you can make different skill/gear decisions)
- Cheap

Cons
- Not even comparable to A2 Infinity for pure damage

I won't keep him on my assassin but I agree he is definitely worth trying.
7
I recently found one of these and been having some fun with it on my Pally

uniques/dragonscale-t756.html

Wonder if that would be better option that Spirit here?

EDIT: Just noticed it's Paladin only shield.. Nevermind!

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.
7
I noticed something else. Unlike Rogues and
Harrogath
Barbarians, which are classified as Amazons and Barbarians respectively (for +skill purposes), Eastern Sorcerors are not classified as Sorceresses. Trang-Oul's Avatar set (helm and armor - it's all a hireling can wear) provides +18 to
Fireball
for non-sorceresses. +18 on top of already maxed and synergized by
Fire Bolt
Fireball
.

I made a simulation with perfect endgame items and
Fireball
damage with dual Trang (slightly) surpasses Flickering Flame +
Ormus' Robes
combo. It does it at the expense of Firebolt, however, which is not to be completely ignored, since the hireling uses both skills.


Not working.
7
User avatar

Khegan 384

Trang Oul wrote: 2 years ago
I noticed something else. Unlike Rogues and
Harrogath
Barbarians, which are classified as Amazons and Barbarians respectively (for +skill purposes), Eastern Sorcerors are not classified as Sorceresses. Trang-Oul's Avatar set (helm and armor - it's all a hireling can wear) provides +18 to
Fireball
for non-sorceresses. +18 on top of already maxed and synergized by
Fire Bolt
Fireball
.

I made a simulation with perfect endgame items and
Fireball
damage with dual Trang (slightly) surpasses Flickering Flame +
Ormus' Robes
combo. It does it at the expense of Firebolt, however, which is not to be completely ignored, since the hireling uses both skills.
Did you actually test this in-game? As I mentioned above, mercs are supposed to be capped at +3 for native Oskills (which is not the same thing as +skill class bonuses) just like players are.
7
No, but once I find both items, I'll try it.
(Or maybe someone already has them and can do a quick test?)
9

Advertisment

Hide ads
999

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

99

Who is online

Users browsing Forums: DotNetDotCom.org [Bot] and 45 guests.

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads
 

 

 

 

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation