Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
21 replies   2833 views

Description

How often does your game crash? Mine has been crashing from time to time.

Most of the parts have been replaced recentaly, and the crash still happened.

What can I do?

Can be used to make Runewords:

How often does your game crash? Mine has been crashing from time to time.

Most of the parts have been replaced recentaly, and the crash still happened.

What can I do?
Since the last patch, I have some interesting crashes that only occur with certain characters and conditions.

After checking my Windows logs, D2R is crashing the NVIDIA driver. Usually this occurs when using a mass area of effect spell which causes graphical artifacts that appear as Black squares, then lockup, and crash

The NVIDIA forums have been no help and no other game I play crashes except D2R.

If you want to find out why your game might be crashing, take a look the Event Viewer in Windows to see any events like APPCRASH, and see what errors occurred at the time of the crash. Other than that, with so many possible variables, it could be literally anything crashing the game for you.

...and the obligatory, reinstall the game, perform all Windows updates, update graphics drivers, update motherboard drivers. The more extreme step is motherboard BIOS updates (as you mentioned parts have recently been replaced). Make sure to read the documentation carefully on this one.
OP
There doesn't seem to be any D2R related logs in Event Viewer.

The game had been crashing before the parts were replaced, which happened like two days ago.

I'm following suggestions in https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... /122454/13, and will see how it goes.
Game crashes are usually caused by software issues. Check your drivers, make sure they are all up-to-date, uninstall anything that you're not using.

If the game crashes frequently, stop your active antivirus protection and check if this will make any difference at all.
Tey_Rossa wrote: 1 year ago
After checking my Windows logs, D2R is crashing the NVIDIA driver. Usually this occurs when using a mass area of effect spell which causes graphical artifacts that appear as Black squares, then lockup, and crash
I can confirm this to some extend. I'am playing d2r thru WINE on Linux here and got a NVIDIA GForce GTX 1650 Card, using the proprietary drivers (only because of d2r... :( ) Tho my games only crash very rarely. But the Black squares show up when facing certain monsters, at
Baal
and if Maggot type monsters show up, for example. Got used to them in a way.

So my suggestion will be: Why not try a different graphic card? Maybe a friend of yours got a spare, not that old AMD lying around? My next card will definitely be not one from NVIDIA. Especially when d2r launched i had massive problems with it and had to tinker with drivers and browsing git for solutions.

Post ur offer before adding me. No PM. Only add me if u offer bin/lf. No reply after 3 days=offer rejected
No socketing service. No offer lower than
Lem
please.
My friend has a lot of game crashes. Checked hardware and software... everything ok. Solution was to run a game as an Administrator. Try to set it like this.
I've had problems with act 5 since day one, especially in town. After any run in act 5 when I restart in town it crashes after a few steps. My computer has the minimum requirements though. I mostly play with old graphic except for those areas where there's not much going off at the same time in terms of lights and colors.
@blubbalutsch I had the Black squares issue too I found that by turning DLSS on it solved my problems for whatever reason. No problems since setting DLSS to Auto or Quality
Blubbalutsch wrote: 1 year ago
Tey_Rossa wrote: 1 year ago
I can confirm this to some extend. I'am playing d2r thru WINE on Linux here and got a NVIDIA GForce GTX 1650 Card, using the proprietary drivers (only because of d2r... :( ) Tho my games only crash very rarely. But the Black squares show up when facing certain monsters, at
Baal
and if Maggot type monsters show up, for example. Got used to them in a way.

So my suggestion will be: Why not try a different graphic card? Maybe a friend of yours got a spare, not that old AMD lying around? My next card will definitely be not one from NVIDIA. Especially when d2r launched i had massive problems with it and had to tinker with drivers and browsing git for solutions.
I missed this yesterday.

Was getting modern WINE setup to run D2R difficult?

I tried several years ago--around the release of Borderlands 3--now and never managed to get it working.
The "black squares" are called artifacting. If you check the blizz forums for that, you'll see there are many, many threads and zero, zero fixes (incredibly few blue posts).

If you're on Windows 11, you're probably out of luck. I've just learned to live with it. Never farm Shenk, for example. Much worse in areas with high lighting effects and a lot of casting--especially the
Chilling Armor
Ice Bolt
casts from Fortitude. There are a couple of posts on Nvidia forums about this exact problem but no solutions.

The only possible fix I haven't tried is to roll back to Windows 10. Otherwise the problem is a little better if you set your power settings to maximize performance instead of balanced or power saving. Undervolting or GPU power management, e.g. through MSI Afterburner, also helps some. But I still get client crashes on my big lighting effect chars, like javazon or bliss sorc.

gl.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.

Necrarch 1487Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
On my side, no crash but my work PC does not handle
Holy Shock
Aura at all and half screen goes Black/scintillating when I meet one, so gotta kill it quicj. Good that my Pally friend is not a Dreamer :D

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
phantomotap wrote: 1 year ago
Was getting modern WINE setup to run D2R difficult?

I tried several years ago--around the release of Borderlands 3--now and never managed to get it working.
When it started, yes. There where problems with blackscreens, missing/faulty dlls, etc. Which fortunately got fixed by community members with mores skills than me one after the other. Can't remember what it was exactly, just know that i spend lot of time trying settings until it worked :)
concerning borderlands 3: have you tried installing it through lutris? I just searched it and theres a script for it https://lutris.net/games/borderlands-3/

Post ur offer before adding me. No PM. Only add me if u offer bin/lf. No reply after 3 days=offer rejected
Lem
please.
There where problems with blackscreens, missing/faulty dlls, etc. Which fortunately got fixed by community members with mores skills than me one after the other.
Thanks. I tried that dance for a bit, but the bugs outlasted me.
concerning borderlands 3: have you tried installing it through lutris?
I have not.

A long story made short: I got a refund so I could get it on Playstation.

I'm mostly thinking about Wine for D2R so I can do more trading without issue, but you having issues just a year or so ago does not make me confident.

Necrarch 1487Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
My Linux buddy runs a Windows VM for such uses. Seems to work all fine.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
phantomotap wrote: 1 year ago
I'm mostly thinking about Wine for D2R so I can do more trading without issue, but you having issues just a year or so ago does not make me confident.
I encourage you to try it, especialy using lutris makes the thing pretty easy. Last thing i had to fix was at the start of Ses 2 when Blizz decided to change the Updater in a rly sucking way. Solution was to reinstall the working version of the updater and make it immutable. Usually there comes a fix thru the community pretty fast and with nowadays state i would say d2r runs without problems.

Lem
please.
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
My Linux buddy runs a Windows VM for such uses. Seems to work all fine.
I appreciate the recommendation, but I'd have to pay for and maintain a full WIndows installation to do that, and I haven't used WIndows in over a decade. I'd have no idea where even to get started in security.
I encourage you to try it, especialy using lutris makes the thing pretty easy. Last thing i had to fix was at the start of Ses 2 when Blizz decided to change the Updater in a rly sucking way. Solution was to reinstall the working version of the updater and make it immutable. Usually there comes a fix thru the community pretty fast and with nowadays state i would say d2r runs without problems.
I've never tried Lutris, but it does sound like it pretty mature with a good community so that's awesome, and I'll keep that fix in mind when if I try again.
Im running it through Lutris on Pop!_OS, i have read its the gamer version of Linux and should work with Steam if anyone use that.

Try Pop!_OS linux version.. by system76

I had a few problems in the start of D2R to get it running, and as someone said a launcher update came and messed it up for a little time.
I've had the same crash since launch wherein when in-game I click options the game immediately shuts down and I return to desktop. If I select options from within the main game-menu this crash doesn't occur. It's really stupid.
Almost never, I got my first crash 2 days ago, when I clicked on linked in game chat item from lobby chat just to see what happens.

My time zone is GMT+3, I am usually available for trades between 6:00-10:00 PM
Mine used to crash randomly. For me, the solution that worked was to download MSI afterburner and downclock your GPU. Hope somehow this helps.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...