Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
42 replies   2185 views

Description

I don't really have that much fun anymore. Lately when I go online I play my Horker-Barb and do Traviruns. I didn't count how many it was, but he startet at lvl 83 and
Ist
now lvl 88 - all done in Traviruns. I found decent stuff, nothing special though in all these runs.
My favourite char was my tornadostormer but at lvl 89 what is there to do besides Baalruns?
My sorc - lvl 87 -
Ist
doing keyruns, but I don't really know what the point
Ist
, all my chars have torches - the last one missing I got for a
Pul
this morning.
The venomancer is fun and with lvl 70 at the end of nm - but yet again whats the point, in hell he won't survice alone anyway with too many immunes.
My smiter is lvl 85 and his purpose is the DClone - which he does without problems.

I started a riftsin (lvl 51 atm), but even though I have her andgame gear I don't really want to level a low lvl char.

Of course all of the above can have better gear - that's always possible - but the gear they have is pretty decent and everything else would be way too expensive. The obly thing I really still want is Infinity - but I am still one
Ber
short and so far the best they guys in
Travincal
dropped were a
Vex
and an
Ohm

So why am I boring you with this? What about you? Feeling fatigue? What is it that still motivates you?

Can be used to make Runewords:

I don't really have that much fun anymore. Lately when I go online I play my Horker-Barb and do Traviruns. I didn't count how many it was, but he startet at lvl 83 and
Ist
now lvl 88 - all done in Traviruns. I found decent stuff, nothing special though in all these runs.
My favourite char was my tornadostormer but at lvl 89 what is there to do besides Baalruns?
My sorc - lvl 87 -
Ist
doing keyruns, but I don't really know what the point
Ist
, all my chars have torches - the last one missing I got for a
Pul
this morning.
The venomancer is fun and with lvl 70 at the end of nm - but yet again whats the point, in hell he won't survice alone anyway with too many immunes.
My smiter is lvl 85 and his purpose is the DClone - which he does without problems.

I started a riftsin (lvl 51 atm), but even though I have her andgame gear I don't really want to level a low lvl char.

Of course all of the above can have better gear - that's always possible - but the gear they have is pretty decent and everything else would be way too expensive. The obly thing I really still want is Infinity - but I am still one
Ber
short and so far the best they guys in
Travincal
dropped were a
Vex
and an
Ohm

So why am I boring you with this? What about you? Feeling fatigue? What is it that still motivates you?
I have all the best gear for all my 4 characters and just play for fun from time to time. I don't have an actual goal, I am not looking for any items to drop as I can afford everything I may want, it's just pure fun - log in, trade for a bit, do some Chaos / whatever runs, log out. I love the fact that I'm not pressured to do anything, I don't HAVE to do anything, I can hop on, do whatever and then move on, until next time :)

louner 193

Europe PC
I think you shouldn't need a motivation to play a game. I think it's just unhealthy to purposefully seek a motivation to do something that brings no value in life and you do not enjoy. Even if you accumulate 100
Ber
and have 10 GG gear chars it still wont be a real "achievement" that is worth motivating yourself into.

I like D2R but I play it only because it's entertaining.

Necrarch 1485Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
I think everyone has its way to play. Don't overplay, do something differently - why not farming somewhere else, now lvl 85 areas are numerous enough... I tend to connect and go for... well, what I feel like. One day I'll go Arcane, another Chaos... but usually won't disconnect reconnect. The only areas I always do (usually for start) are Pindle to get skellies, and Trav because everyone says it drops runes. My current best there is...
Ral
XD (but I go once per run, and doing 3-5 runes a week).

To notice : playing with other people is funnier :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
I started playing offline after I got GG with multiple chars online (Java, Novamancer, Wind Dudu, Sorc, etc) the progress offline is slow at the start, but oh my the sensation of finding TC 87’s (like Deaths Fathom, COA,
Shadow Dancer
, etc) High Runes (only missing
Zod
now) sick Grand Charms and other stuff all on your own is very rewarding IMO. To be honest, I’ll keep playing Solo until I get my most wanted Trio;
Windforce
, DWeb and Griffons. After that, in my eyes, I’ll be done with the game. Good luck and have fun.

Schnorki 3022Moderator

PC
louner wrote: 1 year ago
I think you shouldn't need a motivation to play a game. I think it's just unhealthy to purposefully seek a motivation to do something that brings no value in life and you do not enjoy. Even if you accumulate 100
Ber
and have 10 GG gear chars it still wont be a real "achievement" that is worth motivating yourself into.

I like D2R but I play it only because it's entertaining.
This.

Unless you're a full-time streamer, esports pro or professional farmer, a game is just that: A game. Not a job but a game. Something you do for the sole purpose of entertainment, because it is fun (and/or in some cases a welcome distraction).

Grinding for gear/xp will typically never be a fulfilling purpose in and by itself. The slot machine effect may make it entertaining for some. The completionist aspect makes it entertaining for others. But grinding for the sake of grinding..not an entertaining purpose.

Personally, I sped up the grind to get each of my chars to 92+ and to full BiS as much as was humanly possible because personally..I just don't like the grind. Neither for items nor for XP. What I do genuinely enjoy though is playing for the sake of playing. Be that the occasional farming session, just helping out random people or randomly starting a new char to play through with a bit and then delete. Normally I'd include PvP in that list but tbh, since the olden-day leagues don't exist anymore, I have yet to really do that in D2:R, sadly. Each attempt was met with a random free-for-all clusterf*** and no sorted duels whatsoever. Let alone team pvp.

Beyond that, I do enjoy experimenting quite a bit as well and looking for ways to make stuff work that..well..shouldn't work. Actually doing most of that in SP nowadays though (for the sake of easy item obtaining/switching and /players diff. adjustment).

But yeah, if this game isn't your actual income-generating job and it isn't fun to you..stop. Maybe for a bit..maybe for good..whichever it is, a game that isn't fun just isn't worth blowing time on.
You shouldn't feel obligated to keep playing if you aren't enjoying the game anymore.

Everyone has different goals, not just in this game, but all games in general. Do you want to try out all available characters and builds? Do you want to be the best in a specific area or discipline? Do you strive for 100% completion? Do you just want to enjoy your free time without a plan or structure, but still need the game itself to be engaging?

As a game, D2 hasn't been engrossing nor exciting for me in a very long time. The story and the gameplay experience are all ancient history in terms of fundamentally being the same it's been for two decades now. The last memory I have of cautious anticipation is when I entered the red portal to
Abaddon
the first time I played LoD. After all, it was a mysterious red portal on a bridge to nowhere. Something ominous had to be on the other side, right? I was honestly expecting something like a classic D2 Hephasto-like battle at the end and ended up disappointed.

For me, this game is kind of a min-max medieval-themed Sims with my goal being to obliterate just about everything in single player and be a potent force in a party as well. Some of that requires great gear, so the journey to get some of that through finding and trading items is a step along the path towards that goal.

Things that don't motivate me in this game are the grinding aspects. I don't like magic finding at its core. That's just playing the lottery and putting a different presentation on it. Magic finding to me is a means to an end, but that end (accumulated in-game wealth to acquire the items that lead me to my goals) can be met without running the same areas in the game over and over, solo. I don't really enjoy ultra-high leveling either, but at least you can see yourself progress towards a goal as opposed to magic finding.

Another thing that doesn't motivate me is playing the game solo. I have the need for about five socket quests right now, and I'd rather join free public rush games than run them on my own.

I don't like this game enough to play SSF again. I did it once in 2000 with the classic game. There is such a thing as running out of things to do and being forced to leave the rest of your fate to the RNG gods. I think that's a complete waste of my time.

If it weren't for trading, I would have been done with LoD a long time ago, not looked back, and never bought D2R. The elimination of trading and complete mismanagement of build-breaking patch timing in D3:RoS season 1 was what prompted me to declare it as the biggest waste of time in my gaming career.

The things I have been enjoying as of late though are:
  • Playing with a good group of people in
    Baal
    runs for my leveling efforts to 97+
  • Making a complete mockery of DClone by recording and setting new personal best speedkill times
  • Preparing to solo
    Uber Tristram
    and especially
    Uber Mephisto
    as a javazon
  • Properly building my three main characters which I didn't do very well in LoD
I also wouldn't mind adding another PKK to my résumé since I don't like players who try to disrupt other players just minding their own business, especially if they're completely outmatched.

At some point, I'll let off the gas after the end of the ladder and start playing at a more relaxed pace, although I will still try to get my other two characters to 97 after the switch to non-ladder. I know I won't play this game forever, but I have unfinished 15-year-old business.

If no such motivations still exist for you, then it's not a bad idea to pick up another game that will bring either a sense of enjoyment or accomplishment.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL
Perfectionist here (thanks to my parents sending me to military academy for grade school). Goal is to get Barb Horker to 99 eventually (should be attainable thanks to upcoming
Terror
zones) and max out char with the best gear/items possible.

I break it down into 3 main steps for myself:

1) Play mostly self found until I can clear everything P1 without trouble. Very little trading, if any at all. This took me 3-4 months. Was in no rush and no desire to play ladder. I didn't play original back in the day, so wanted a fresh experience without (much) help from others.

2) Start building up a fortune, selling all the gear I don't need and learning what things are worth. This took another 3-4 months. Currently have several mules filled with HRs. Probably have around 30 Los, 25 Surs, 10 Bers, 8 Jahs + more at the moment.

3) Once the fortune is built up and I know fair value of everything, now I can start buying perfect items one by one. Lots of haggling, being patient and trying to snipe GG items before a bid war starts. I usually back out after the item gets up to 5-6
Ber
or higher.

Barb is pretty godly, level 96 and can carry groups in P8
Baal
runs. But still a few more GG items I'm looking for, like that 10% FCR / Dual leech / All Res / MF ring (and attack rating, if possible). Saw one go for 6
Ber
the other day, and wondering if I should've kept bidding.. Oh well, would rather try to get a deal than pay an insane amount due to a bid war. Will keep looking!

And until then, lots and lots of Trav, CS,
Baal
Key
farming and Ubers.

I play about 4-5 hours every night from 9PM to 1-2AM. Have found 10 Jahs, 10 Surs, 3 Bers and more over the last 9 or 10 months, and no plans to stop anytime soon. Guessing next game I play will be D4, if it's deserving of my time.

I also purchased 2 other accounts during the 50% off sales so that I could multibox and get up to P3, which seems to be helping. Found a
Lo
on my first run doing P3 last night! Can't wait to see what other loot it brings :)

And as for my non-gaming life, if you're curious (forgive me if you're not).. I do a decent hike every weekend (last one was a ~6 mile hike at Shelving Rock Mountain / Bay in Lake George, NY). And for work I'm an Oracle & MSSQL DBA at an insurance company. I try not to let D2R consume my life completely, but it's difficult when I'm having so much fun with it!

PS - Forgot to mention that cannabis is the
Key
ingredient for myself. I don't think I enjoy ANY game without it. Got a nice grow tent and am able to yield about a pound for personal consumption each year. One rip every hour or two off my 3-footer keeps me having an absolute blast. There's nothing like organic, SSF ganja :)

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.
So my story:
Played D2R on release. Was fun for a month but I played 100% solo and my WW barb fizzled out around 75 with bad gear.

Fast forward to last month. Made a Hammerdin for return to D2R. Found this website. Learned enough about the economy to wheel and deal and pump this guy up. My motivation was to have a competent endgame farmer with all the BIS items. And finally achieved that today with my last missing piece -- Enigma. This afternoon been teleporting to the bosses, rinse repeat! Still pretty low end on my torch and some pieces, but no motivation to chase max items for minimal return on investment.

My next mission: farm enough to resurrect my
Whirlwind
Barbarian. I'm almost there. Need a Highlords and one more
Lo
and he's built.

Side mission: get BIS on my mercs. My WW will work on that one as I level 75 to 90+. Also will keep an eye out for high end charms.

Shax 17

Europe PC
jblack1980 wrote: 1 year ago
Found this website. Learned enough about the economy to wheel and deal and pump this guy up.

My oh my. Had a look on your profile, and maintaining all those items for sale got to take some time for sure!

I find satisfaction in nostalgia and the loot lottery. Finding a
Griffon's Eye
with my Paladin on first playthrough Hell. Dropping first an
Ohm
from hellforge, just to get another
Ohm
five minutes later in
River of Flame
in the same game.
Death's Fathom
from
Pindleskin
I find it fun to slay hordes of hell spawn.

PC | PSN | Switch | Europe | UTC + 0
All trades are PC, PSN or Switch!
All trades will be conducted with a cup of tea.
Offering a free cross platform trading service!

Tetra 178

Paladin Europe PC
I like the sound of dying demons...
I'm not a psychopath...
Shax wrote: 1 year ago
Dropping first an
Ohm
Ohm
five minutes later in
River of Flame
in the same game.
Death's Fathom
from
Pindleskin
Hell's HF would give you a
Gul
at most.

Schnorki 3022Moderator

PC
Tetra wrote: 1 year ago
I'm not a psychopath...
Dropping first an
Ohm
Ohm
five minutes later in
River of Flame
in the same game.
Death's Fathom
from
Pindleskin
Gul
at most.
Was gonna be nice and not call him out on it...but yeah, 'tis BS. :)
In fact,after the bots,nothing! I saw a player's stash full of
Jah
Ber
and soj that I couldn't count,just like "in ur face sucker! " post2922461.html#p2922461

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
Born with a heart of Steel
just finding good stuff. that's basically it. I know how to build strong chars and that's basically it :shrug:

if I am bored or don't want to do the same over and over again, I play something else or stream :)

I don't push myself anymore if I don't feel like anymore (did that with wow raids).
I'm too old for this shite :D

There is a beauty to being older and having a real life, you have to take it slowly so the game stays fresh for longer. I'm accruing Wealth ever so ever so slowly, but I'm coming. :)

PC | PSN | Switch | Europe | UTC + 0
All trades are PC, PSN or Switch!
All trades will be conducted with a cup of tea.
Offering a free cross platform trading service!

Schnorki 3022Moderator

PC
Manowar wrote: 1 year ago
In fact,after the bots,nothing! I saw a player's stash full of
Jah
Ber
and soj that I couldn't count,just like "in ur face sucker! " post2922461.html#p2922461
Fact:
It doesn't take bots to fill a stash with
Jah
/
Ber
/...

Plenty of the OG players who knew how to (ab)use the economy from day 1 have long since fully geared their characters and saved up a full stash of runes on top of that. All it takes is some decent trading. Or 1-2 extremely lucky drops I guess... :)

(Not saying bots don't exist mind you..they obviously do and continue to run rampant..but not everyone with stashes full of left-over HRs is automatically a botter)
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Fact:
It doesn't take bots to fill a stash with
Jah
/
Ber
/...

Plenty of the OG players who knew how to (ab)use the economy from day 1 have long since fully geared their characters and saved up a full stash of runes on top of that. All it takes is some decent trading. Or 1-2 extremely lucky drops I guess... :)
Facts.

I have around 160 SoJs worth of <insert THAT currency here> and haven't botted a day in D2R. I play less than 10 hours a week and don't even have a Ladder character.

Shax 17

Europe PC
Tetra wrote: 1 year ago
I'm not a psychopath...
Dropping first an
Ohm
Ohm
five minutes later in
River of Flame
in the same game.
Death's Fathom
from
Pindleskin
Gul
at most.
Damn, of course you are right. I got confused. Now I am not sure where I got the 2nd
Ohm
. 😅 And seems it was a bit more than five minutes, the timestamp on the screenshot I sent my mate this summer on the photos below.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago

Was gonna be nice and not call him out on it...but yeah, 'tis BS. :)
Sorry, my mistake..

Shax 17

Europe PC
Talking about luck 😂

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...