Americas PC
ALLEyezOnMe wrote: 1 year ago
a bunch of logical stuff
Yeah they could, maybe even should, but they wont

Gunar 35

Amazon PC
Asha wrote: 1 year ago
I can understand "okay, we're patchin it now - so u can't use this exploit from now on". But nooo... "let's hit you hard, and erase what you got. Get ur ass to ladder, bc slave must work more n more. We want you to switch to ladder - we don't give a damn if you don't want it". Great, Blizzard. Fhank you alot - if I discover my weapon's gone when I'm back from duty tomorrow...
Stopping the exploit, but allowing the items to continue existing as runewords would be a big "L" for the people responsible, hence not really an option. I thought that they are just going to implement a check, leaving a "gemmed item" if a list of runewords is found on non-ladder. Sounds like the most logical way to approach this, at least to me.
As a developer, I figure it was just a hint easier to drop a line of SQL on their data base (and saying "who cares, just f* you"), than insert 2 lines of code in the next patch.

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
You do realize you're talking about Blizzard here, right?

They have never cared about your items or the work you put in.

"You unknowingly traded for dupes? Well, tough luck, we've added item IDs so all your crap just goes poof."
"You lost your stupid lucky double
Ber
drop because we crashed stuff during maintenance and rolled everything back 24 hours? Yeah, not our problem."
"209842384902934 people had their characters go poof days into it, repeatedly, because we can't launch a game without breaking everything? We're sure they just all hit the delete button over and over!"
"Items keep going poof from stashes because we don't understand save file sizes? Really don't care."

The only difference in this case would be that they're removing something you actually knew you shouldn't have. So for the first time ever, I'm actually in support of it. Though I am genuinely surprised if they really actually did anything here, rather than just lean back and not care as they normally would.
RIP magezon until Mist is back. At least my roll was garbage and I used a cheap base.

Gunar 35

Amazon PC
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
The only difference in this case would be that they're removing something you actually knew you shouldn't have. So for the first time ever, I'm actually in support of it. Though I am genuinely surprised if they really actually did anything here, rather than just lean back and not care as they normally would.
Though I get your point, being, all the people affected by this, did this ALLEGEDLY knowingly and therefore in the sinister intention to get an advantage over other players, I'm not quite with you on this one.

Objectivley you MIGHT also just have "gemmed" an item with some of your precious runes and by coincidence it's a rune word that doesnt exist (err, what?). Or by far more likely, you looked up a cool new rune word and didn't get it's ladder only... how dare you!

Punishing you for not knowing of a bug I (the developer) have brought upon you, seems like a dick move, well if that's somehow comprehensible for anyone else.

But maybe its just me, as a "pro", whose customers wouldn't tolerate such demeanor.
I'm with Gunar on this one. We are customers of that company and as such, they need to treat us fairly. I'm not saying that they are supposed to look away if we exploit the game, but deleting perfectly legitimate items in themselves, is a bit of an overkill in my mind.

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
Well, "perfectly legitimate" is the point in question here.

Unlike the stuff you lost before, be that traded-for dupes, rollback cost, bugged char deletions or whathaveyou, which you had no way of knowing upfront was going to happen, this time around, if all you ever did was at least read the patch notes and nothing else, you already knew full well that that item should not exist in non-ladder.

Though what they should've done was to use their "hey, we built a new announcement system to spam you with pointless 'ladder started! bet you didn't know, seeing how you're playing ladder right now!' messages" to actually acknowledge that bug and make it clear that they'll take those items away. But that'd require Blizz actually communicating properly for once so..not gonna happen.

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
Everyone of you who exploited this made the wish that Blizzard whouldn't fix it: it was not granted.
I'm suprised they in fact did something, although with no communication and 3 weeks lates.

But, to be expecting Blizzard going your way and restore those items because you cry?
When they stated that those new RW are to be ladder only?
That nonsensical.

You want them back?
Then play the game by the rules:
-Get your asses in ladder and start farming,
-Or wait until the ladder's end and buy them.
This is what we were expecting to begin with.

Poofing is the way Blizzard handled bugged and duped items in D2 LoD.
This is the simplest, less prone to error and quickest way.

TLDR: Blizzard fixed a bug, items that shouldn't be in non-ladder go poof, game works as intented now.
This is exactly what my Pattern claw was - a perfectly legitimate base item, socketed with three perfectly legitimate runes.

Why would Blizzard delete it, instead of reverting it to its gemmed version?

It's not like I've gone out of my way to create the runeword, blocking and sending packets, using 3rd party software and stuff. All I did was put the runes in the right order and... okay... log in with a Ladder character to trigger its creation :D

I just don't agree with how they went about resolving the issue, it's pretty lame in my view.
imagine if they really wanted to troll those that did it intentionally - gemmed item :P

Offer if price not stated
Mines wrote: 2 years ago
If you like health,
String of Ears
is much better option. 8% Life Stolen Per Hit loved it on my hamerdian. Spiral hammer on large group of enemies you fully healed.

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
This is exactly what my Pattern claw was - a perfectly legitimate base item, socketed with three perfectly legitimate runes.
No, it was not.
It doesn't matter if the base components are legit, the RW is one single item, and it had nothing to do in non-ladder.

You wanted to keep the base?
You should have
Hel
cube it after trying it.

You wanted to keep the base and the runes?
You shouldn't have exploited the glitch to begin with: that just cheating.
And no one will be sorry for a cheater's loss.
It definitely feels like an emotional decision for them to go as far as to delete the items. They were embarrassed and now those who embarrassed them must be punished. Oh well, I only made one Unbending Will and one Wisdom and didn't even notice they were missing until I read this post. No love lost here, but definitely good to know Blizzard is still totally clueless when it comes to making these sort of decisions. At least they didn't ban me or delete my character! Really wouldn't put it past them, if they had.

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.

Gunar 35

Amazon PC
Skaijuice wrote: 1 year ago
imagine if they really wanted to troll those that did it intentionally - gemmed item :P
We all know nobody here did it unintentionally. ;) Me myself didn't do it at all - one happy single player here, so for the record, I don't see anybody crying.
They trolled us and that's just fine by me.

But maybe it's because I'm German and there are just rules, dude.
We got a word called "Generalverdacht" - a generalised suspicion against a group of people and that just violates the presumption of innocence.
There might - might! - be only one guy out there who innocently gemmed an item and lost it, to make this wrong.
Agree 100% with @Tetra. Watched the video when it came out; seriously considered trying it out; but then concluded it would be knowingly exploitative and likely to lead to trouble.

It's super-clear the new runewords aren't avalilable in nonladder yet. If you do something that you know shouldn't work the way it's working, and you aren't personally in charge of the computer that's running the show, you can't cry about what happens next. This might be the first time I've ever fully agreed with how blizz handled it.

Incidentally, I suppose this explains the update earlier this week that had no accompanying patch notes?

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
Since everyone has a take here’s mine. I lost about 5
Ist
worth of value by making Mist on NL.

They probably don’t want to waste time figuring out if my Mist was made legit (it technically was IMO) or if I hacked it into the game other way. So it makes sense for them to just delete it.

But since they care, they should do something about bots. It can’t be that hard to detect that a client is being controlled by a machine, with some basic behavior Pattern checks. Wouldn’t even need AI.
Also it was worth it just to play with bugged gear for a while XD as is tradition?

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
moonlit wrote: 1 year ago
They probably don’t want to waste time figuring out if my Mist was made legit (it technically was IMO)
It was? Really? You genuinely wanted a gemmed bow with a
Cham
, a
Shael
, a
Gul
, a
Thul
and an
Ith
in it and you just happened to put them in in that order? And you then just so happened to follow the necessary steps to bug it without ever wanting to?
Come on mate..there was never anything legit about it, technically or otherwise, and you know it.
lmao I know it’s a bug but did they poof items that dropped due to other bugs like seal popping, Andy’s quest bug, grushes to forge, etc which we all enjoyed? And yes it was worth it cause I got some good recordings of the bow in use, too. Also it was a terrible roll in a non sup base, shrug
I knew it was possible that they would do something to the Mist I made, so no I'm not surprised something happened.
but I didn't think they would outright delete it base, runes, and all.
Pretty heavy handed imo!
Could have just reverted them to the base and runes, or disabled (made them unusable) until ladder was over.
There's plenty of ways it could have been handled, I'm very much disappointed in their lack of creativity.
That being said, it was a pretty fun bow! Very good with
Strafe
in combination with a Faith bow merc.
The thing filled me with giggles , it was like Hell cow slapstick comedy hour haha.
I enjoyed it as much as my Brand bow. I have had the runes and base on ladder for a while, I'll probably make a new one on ladder when the time comes.
So ya'll can play ignorant but Blizzard can do too on the flipside.

Offer if price not stated
Mines wrote: 2 years ago
If you like health,
String of Ears
is much better option. 8% Life Stolen Per Hit loved it on my hamerdian. Spiral hammer on large group of enemies you fully healed.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...